Are there any jobs I can't do when I am older

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am 13 and interested in being a lorry driver with T1, can I do it or should I avoid

romsey_eddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Best contact dvla it depends entirely on you particular case generally type 1 would be a problem. I was diagnosed after I retired with t2but I can still drive cars your nurse might be a help as mine gave me several leaflets about the laws from dvla.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Nearly all jobs can be done with Type1 provided you never get hypos that prevent you from making yourself safe. The only jobs you will not be able to do is jobs that stop you treating a hypos, for example, the army.

But as within 10 or 15 years, all lorries will be driven by computers, being an HGV driver may not be the best option.....

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nearly all jobs can be done with Type1 provided you never get hypos that prevent you from making yourself safe. The only jobs you will not be able to do is jobs that stop you treating a hypos, for example, the army.

But as within 10 or 15 years, all lorries will be driven by computers, being an HGV driver may not be the best option.....
I know I can't be a police officer as that stops me, which is a bummer because I love the Police. :(

OHD_Foxy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Stress, Diabetes
I know I can't be a police officer as that stops me, which is a bummer because I love the Police. :(
I'm fairly certain you can become a police officer with T1, you just have to demonstrate that you are able to control and manage it correctly so that it won't affect your performance :) This is what I have been told as I applied to join the police a few months back, unfortunately did not get in. As for jobs you can't do I know that you cannot join the armed forces with T1

Gareth689

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You can do much more than you think as type 1. I’ve done Police...hated it! Now I’m working as Airline Cabin Crew. There are even Type 1 airline pilots out there!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
We have members of this forum that are working police officers.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Yes you can 22nw22. At your age have a think about becoming a Police Cadet, that will give you a little taste of what it's like.

Cam2000

@Gareth689 That’s awesome to read. I have type 1 diabetes and I aspire to be an airline pilot in the future. I can keep dreaming then, currently have 5hrs of flying under my belt, with a bright future.

Gareth689

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Gareth689 That’s awesome to read. I have type 1 diabetes and I aspire to be an airline pilot in the future. I can keep dreaming then, currently have 5hrs of flying under my belt, with a bright future.

The CAA currently allow pilots that already held the medical before diagnosis to be fit to fly. Hopefully some time in the future this will change to allow new medicals to be passed too. Things are certainly moving in the right direction.

I started working toward my PPL a few years ago and have 19hrs so should really pull my finger out and get it finished at some point!

bmtest

You can do anything you put your mind to and do not stop till achieved yourgoal, firstly deal with education system that your in,it may be better to buy a fleet of lorries and manage haulage company and just drive them in yard for fun.

Cam2000

The CAA currently allow pilots that already held the medical before diagnosis to be fit to fly. Hopefully some time in the future this will change to allow new medicals to be passed too. Things are certainly moving in the right direction.

I started working toward my PPL a few years ago and have 19hrs so should really pull my finger out and get it finished at some point!

Yeah especially now, you are right the future looks very bright. I’ve been looking at the guidelines for the achievements of class 1 Medical certificate and they look to be updating them so hopefully for the better.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm fairly certain you can become a police officer with T1, you just have to demonstrate that you are able to control and manage it correctly so that it won't affect your performance :) This is what I have been told as I applied to join the police a few months back, unfortunately did not get in. As for jobs you can't do I know that you cannot join the armed forces with T1
I think ambulance driver has a similar restriction, and Public Service Driving (bus or coach or minibus) Not impossible, but application process is more invasive. Not sure about Train Driver either, but Prime Minister is possible. There May be a vacancy opening up there shortly - watch this space......