I'm glad that we do things to put our minds of the bad points of being a diabetic.

Danielle Rafter

Hi, my name is Danielle (call me Dani for short if you want) I'm 17 and I'm a gamer on ps4 and also I'm artistic with drawing things like my youtube channel ᴀʀᴛɪsᴛɪᴄ ɢᴀᴍᴇʀ haven't posted in a while or done any gaming videos but that's coming soon.
What I'm trying to say is that we all fear the bad things like having the highpo fits and the passing out at high sugar levels but we have to put our minds off it because if you worry too much your blood levels will increase rapidly because I've been a diabetic for 14 or 13 years and in my exams I've been high up to about 16 when I panic and you need to put your mind off it so try and stay strong and fight the panics and worries.

Thank you for reading this and always a pleasure to help

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you so much

I am type 1 but I'm trying to be strong with it so I don't get Down all the time

Hello!

Cheer up, I have some not so bad news for you...
I've been type 1 for just over 50 years already, and my BS-control could have been better;), but this far I don't have too many problems originating from my diabetes. This not meant as you can forget about your diabetes, but don't let it hinder you to Live (yes, big L in the beginning!). You are young, and the only advice I would like to give is "Live your life in a way, so that you don't have to regret it later". This last statement one could philosophize around for a long, long time, as it contains so many different aspects. But the main message is perhaps - do your best, and no one can blame you!

Good luck on your journey, and have a rant, question, or whatever you feel like - we will try to support you!

Edited to say: Haven't been a player since the days of DOOM, and in your opinion, that's probably something from the Jurassic time...:)

Last edited:
K

Knikki

@mike@work Actually they do revamp an release Doom every now and again think the last time was 2017 and it was still Doom. run round and blow holy hell out of everything and a new game called Doom Eternal is getting released soon :)

Yep also a PS4 (and Xbox) player and at the moment I can't get Destiny 2 out of it :hilarious:.

Like Mike above also a long term T1D and like everything so long as you look after yourself then you should be OK :)

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@mike@work Actually they do revamp an release Doom every now and again think the last time was 2017 and it was still Doom. run round and blow holy hell out of everything and a new game called Doom Eternal is getting released soon :)

Yep also a PS4 (and Xbox) player and at the moment I can't get Destiny 2 out of it :hilarious:.

Like Mike above also a long term T1D and like everything so long as you look after yourself then you should be OK :)

Yup - I know about the newer releases, but you see...the first one was THE one :)
And the first release of DOOM was released at those times, when both I and the PC was young (somewhere around 1994)...

Last edited:

Danielle Rafter

Hello!

Cheer up, I have some not so bad news for you...
I've been type 1 for just over 50 years already, and my BS-control could have been better;), but this far I don't have too many problems originating from my diabetes. This not meant as you can forget about your diabetes, but don't let it hinder you to Live (yes, big L in the beginning!). You are young, and the only advice I would like to give is "Live your life in a way, so that you don't have to regret it later". This last statement one could philosophize around for a long, long time, as it contains so many different aspects. But the main message is perhaps - do your best, and no one can blame you!

Good luck on your journey, and have a rant, question, or whatever you feel like - we will try to support you!

Edited to say: Haven't been a player since the days of DOOM, and in your opinion, that's probably something from the Jurassic time...:)

Wow that just changed the way I see things now, you are brave to have diabetes for 50 years I've almost had for 15 years since I was 3 and that path was a struggle

Reactions: Knikki

Danielle Rafter

I play destiny 2 and it is brilliant, I have completed most of the dlc's warmind and forsaken and they were a bit difficult because my power was in the low at first but also I'm a youtube and I did 2 live streams layout of mad max ( artistic gamer ) I draw too not just gaming but I really enjoy it and looking at how many views

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow that just changed the way I see things now, you are brave to have diabetes for 50 years I've almost had for 15 years since I was 3 and that path was a struggle

Good to hear, it had some hopefully positive effect...:)

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi again, @Danielle Rafter, Yes, having hobbies and pastimes provide distraction, feeling of achievement and a boost to that sometimes flickering candle, called low self-esteem.
Might I say that I am not a gamer but whatever does give you interest and skills, does not bankrupt you, or put you and others at risk of harm (like climbing My Everest), does not interfere with relationships ( like my wife is a kite-widow and I, a jewellery widower) and can change and grow with you is part of being healthy.
I was possibly insane, years ago, Type 1, doing 7 day canoe trips through wilderness and slightly shorter hiking trips etc.
Have learnt my lesson (though opinions differ) and at 52 years on insulin I have worked out what I still don't know.
Dream your dream, do what you can and a crisis (except hypos) is only so if it lasts more than 24 hours. Worrying does not help!!
And do not let your karma run over your dogma !!

Danielle Rafter

Hi again, @Danielle Rafter, Yes, having hobbies and pastimes provide distraction, feeling of achievement and a boost to that sometimes flickering candle, called low self-esteem.
Might I say that I am not a gamer but whatever does give you interest and skills, does not bankrupt you, or put you and others at risk of harm (like climbing My Everest), does not interfere with relationships ( like my wife is a kite-widow and I, a jewellery widower) and can change and grow with you is part of being healthy.
I was possibly insane, years ago, Type 1, doing 7 day canoe trips through wilderness and slightly shorter hiking trips etc.
Have learnt my lesson (though opinions differ) and at 52 years on insulin I have worked out what I still don't know.
Dream your dream, do what you can and a crisis (except hypos) is only so if it lasts more than 24 hours. Worrying does not help!!
And do not let your karma run over your dogma !!

Wow 52 years on insulin I've only been on insulin for 14 years now and my child hood was a scary thing

Reactions: kitedoc

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Wow 52 years on insulin I've only been on insulin for 14 years now and my child hood was a scary thing
And scary from age 13 also. But we survive, do what we can and now with fancy insulins, pumps, CGM etc the future is even better!! The future does not have to be scary. :):):)

Ziggy2017

Type of diabetes
Type 3
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes and injections
Hi dani :) I have been diabetic since age 14 when I had a double lung transplant apparently my diabetes is due to my medications don’t worry diabetes can be scary but sometimes you just have to relax and enjoy whatever your doing personally I like to read :)

K

Knikki

Yeah still trundling around the Tangled Shore of Destiny2 but also have started playing Dishonoured 2 again which is fun but gaming is just one of a number of hobbies/interests I have :)

Forgot to mention I was diagnosed as T1 at 18 months old way back in 1965, so it's been a while:)

Danielle Rafter

Hi dani :) I have been diabetic since age 14 when I had a double lung transplant apparently my diabetes is due to my medications don’t worry diabetes can be scary but sometimes you just have to relax and enjoy whatever your doing personally I like to read :)

Wow this shows that you're a fighter no matter what life hits you, always stay strong because there may be a cure around the corner

Danielle Rafter

Yeah still trundling around the Tangled Shore of Destiny2 but also have started playing Dishonoured 2 again which is fun but gaming is just one of a number of hobbies/interests I have :)

Forgot to mention I was diagnosed as T1 at 18 months old way back in 1965, so it's been a while:)

18 months old!!!!! Wow bet that was scary for you when you were a baby when you go low or high.

I've completed forsaken with my friend and my boyfriend, it was funny because my friend kept dying and I was laughing I had fun with it though

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi "Ziggy2017"!

Didn't really know what I should give as vote for you, as optimistic doesn't cover all you express. Your answer here, does on the other hand give optimistic vibes - hope you also agree yourself. :)
Thumbs up for a fighter!

Ziggy2017

Type of diabetes
Type 3
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes and injections
Wow this shows that you're a fighter no matter what life hits you, always stay strong because there may be a cure around the corner
Thank you Dani I have always believed that being optimistic has helped me get through a lot of things along with the fact that I am catholic I think whatever God has planned for you will happen :)

Ziggy2017

Type of diabetes
Type 3
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes and injections
Hi "Ziggy2017"!

Didn't really know what I should give as vote for you, as optimistic doesn't cover all you express. Your answer here, does on the other hand give optimistic vibes - hope you also agree yourself. :)
Thumbs up for a fighter!
Thank you @mike@work being optimistic is what kept me going when I had my transplant almost 6 years in next month:)