Confused!!

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Morning all, so recently I was staying with friends who decided to go Raw vegan. I prepaired myself for some truly terrible numbers due to the amount of fruit to be consumed!!

What actually happened was I picked and chose what I ate but it didn't include dairy or meat other than milk in tea.

So it goes something like this, blueberries prunes and cashews as a breakfast snack, broccoli salad (broccoli, mango, dates and avocado) for lunch or another salad followed by stir fry or roast veggies for tea with things like tofu.

My BGs have been amazing. 80%+ time in range, STD of 1.6 HBAIC estimated 6.1/2

Can anyone shed any light as I didn't expect this at all!!

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Anecdotal evidence suggests (in the case of Type 2 at least) that you can approach diet for blood sugars in one of two ways - either very low carb or very low fat & low protein. Do you have any idea how much protein or fat you were getting each day? I see avocado/cashews/tofu get a mention so you were clearly getting some protein & fat but perhaps not a lot?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Depends on what you were eating before. Raw vegan means getting a tonne more of the mcronutrients that make your system work better but in the longer term you may risk deficiencies in the vitamins that are easiest to absorb from meat e.g. B12, Vitamin A, K2. Not to mention protein, calcium and vitamin D. It is a diet that requires careful planning and supplementation.
There is also the question of whether you can stick to it ? Great blood sugars are good news though as it is so tricky for us type 1s..

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
More fibre will have been a part of it, I suspect.

Sounds delicious, actually. :D
I had a raw food phase about 12 yrs ago.
Yummy chocolate milk made with cashew cream, raw cocoa and dates. And oooh... those salads...

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I sometimes find that a higher carb day or two gives me better numbers (assuming my dosing is right).
No actual logical/scientific explanation though.

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Depends on what you were eating before. Raw vegan means getting a tonne more of the mcronutrients that make your system work better but in the longer term you may risk deficiencies in the vitamins that are easiest to absorb from meat e.g. B12, Vitamin A, K2. Not to mention protein, calcium and vitamin D. It is a diet that requires careful planning and supplementation.
There is also the question of whether you can stick to it ? Great blood sugars are good news though as it is so tricky for us type 1s..

This woman
posts some quite good videos on raw veganism & vegan nutrition.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This woman
posts some quite good videos on raw veganism & vegan nutrition.

Its ok, I'm not planning on doing this long term! I've eaten some chicken and quorn since being home so you can see my dedication lol.

I did enjoy some aspects of it though like I didn't know raw broc was a thing!

Reactions: Safi

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Its ok, I'm not planning on doing this long term! I've eaten some chicken and quorn since being home so you can see my dedication lol.

I did enjoy some aspects of it though like I didn't know raw broc was a thing!

Engineer - If raw broccoli has taken your fancy, it's possibly worth looking into it, relative to your hypothyroidism.

I know, I know. There's always something!

Reactions: Engineer88

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Engineer - If raw broccoli has taken your fancy, it's possibly worth looking into it, relative to your hypothyroidism.

I know, I know. There's always something!

*face palm* thanks @DCUKMod. most of my diet is made of tofu and peanuts also which are all meant to affect absorption. Who knew!!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
*face palm* thanks @DCUKMod. most of my diet is made of tofu and peanuts also which are all meant to affect absorption. Who knew!!

As I understand it, @Engineer88 , one of the best things we can do id to distance our Levothyroxine dose from food, drink or vitamins, so either on waking, then waiting an hour before any tea (torture), or last thing at night, a few hours after eating. I swapped my morning to evening, until I started using Magnesium oil before bed, so had to toggle back to on waking.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I set an alarm to take my Levothyroxine at 7am and then go beck to sleep for an hour, because if I had to function with no caffeine first thing in the morning I’d get quite stabby.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As I understand it, @Engineer88 , one of the best things we can do id to distance our Levothyroxine dose from food, drink or vitamins, so either on waking, then waiting an hour before any tea (torture), or last thing at night, a few hours after eating. I swapped my morning to evening, until I started using Magnesium oil before bed, so had to toggle back to on waking.

I currently take mine before bed so I should be ok. I tend to eat a cooked dinner so no rawness in sight.

I set an alarm to take my Levothyroxine at 7am and then go beck to sleep for an hour, because if I had to function with no caffeine first thing in the morning I’d get quite stabby.

Agreed. But I start work at 8 so I would need something like a 5am alarm which would also result in Stabbyness.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I currently take mine before bed so I should be ok. I tend to eat a cooked dinner so no rawness in sight.

Agreed. But I start work at 8 so I would need something like a 5am alarm which would also result in Stabbyness.

It's all a game. All a game!