Can you hypo whilst sleeping

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, sorry if this is in the wrong place and or a silly question

Ive just taken my first humalin I 10 units, been told to take it at this time of night by nurse, just read it will not start to work for 1.5 hours, what happens if you go hypo whilst asleep?

Thankyou

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Check your blood glucose before you go to bed, if it's low have a drink and something to eat.
Most people wake up, try not to get too low before bed.
I know it's hard as your just starting on insulin.
Quite a lowish dose so hopefully your be fine.
Know the signs of a hypo, it's not a silly question.
Ask away.
Take care

Reactions: zand and Fenn

Davie_sett

Type of diabetes
Type 1
you can hypo while sleeping its very unpleasant its kinda like being trapped in a dream and cant wake up

Reactions: Fenn

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Check your blood glucose before you go to bed, if it's low have a drink and something to eat.
Most people wake up, try not to get too low before bed.
I know it's hard as your just starting on insulin.
Quite a lowish dose so hopefully your be fine.
Know the signs of a hypo, it's not a silly question.
Ask away.
Take care

Thankyou, im 11.2 at the moment but not been 1.5 hours yet, im sure im just being a bit panicky

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
This is a very accurate discription of a night/sleeping hypo. If you are not feeling safe @Fenn set the alarm and test during the night
Thankyou, dont think ill need the alarm tonight hehe, be wking up every 5 minutes im sure

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
tonight will be hard to rest, just test if you feel "off" like well you will know

Hope you are ok

Reactions: Fenn and Dodo
D

Deleted Account

Short answer: yes, you can hypo.
Everyone is different but it is common to wake with a hypo.
Make sure you have hypo treatment close to hand when you go to bed.

However, as others have said, your insulin dose is low and your BG is high enough that a hypo is unlikely.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Fenn, If you google "insulin profiles' and then look for Humulin (or a chart showing Humulin vs other insulins" you can obtain an idea of the time after injection when Humulin reaches its peak blood-sugar lowering action).
This can help you predict when your BSLs may tend to lowest after injection. (? over several hours)
Of course the chart or profile is drug company information or similar as shows a average of sorts. Some people may have their Humulin acting a bit sooner or later than others, but it will still give you an idea of when to check your BSLs rather than be worrying about it every 5 minutes !!
With some BSL results (preferable over several nights - Sorry!! ) you can then discuss with your DSN or doctor whether the Humulin dose needs to be altered or not. The first blood sugar on wakening (the fasting BSL) is also important to measure for your discussion.
Best Wishes.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Thankyou for your replies, turned out to be a very anticlimactic night :) 8.5 was my lowest at 1:30am I did however discover its alot harder to test bg in the dark.

One last question if I may, are strange periferal visuals and a headache a side effect of humalin? I have never suffered from migranes so I am pretty sure it is not that, the headache is also mild, im currently treating with coffee hehe, perhaps just being stressy about everything

K

Knikki

Just to add yes you can as I have just woken up at 2.4, certainly not recommend.

I don't use humalin and not aware if it does have the side effects you describe but strange perfieral visual sounds like a silent migraine, I sometimes get them but fairly sure it is not related to insulin intake :)

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Just to add yes you can as I have just woken up at 2.4, certainly not recommend.

I don't use humalin and not aware if it does have the side effects you describe but strange perfieral visual sounds like a silent migraine, I sometimes get them but fairly sure it is not related to insulin intake :)
Thankyou, I hope your feeling ok and getting number into range

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi again @Fenn,
I have experienced migraine from low BSL/hypo. And also when BSL fell fast but at the time were still in the low-normal range.
In drugs.com side effects for humulin include headache and rarely difficulty with visual focus (listed as transitory).
I hope that helps. I guess time will tell.

Reactions: Knikki and Fenn

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The way I avoid hypos at night is to have some fruit ready to eat near the bed. I drink lots of water before going to sleep to ensure that I do wake up and when I do. I eat just a few bites of fruit, not too much that my BG goes high.

Reactions: Knikki and Fenn