Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude People.
Animal Cruelty.
Unnecessary Drama.
Hey everyone, I just need a bit of advice, at what ketones level should you go to the hospital or seek medical advice?

I've done my blood sugar a couple times this evening and they have seem to just go up and up, I was 28.2mmol at 9:22pm I ate and did insulin then I did my sugar again as I've been feeling really thirsty and my meter just said HI this was at 1:10am, and for some reason when the meter is that high it doesn't tell me a correction dosage, so I guessed and gave myself 7 units. I decided to check my ketones and I have 0.4. I have been told before what level you can control at home and what level you should seek medical advice but this was a very long time ago now and I'm not sure if things have changed. I'd be really grateful for your help and sorry for the long read.

Also, I am not being sick, I'm just really thirsty.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Here is a link to NHS advice on high sugars & ketoacitosis... https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/diabetic-ketoacidosis/

If you are unsure regarding correction dosage? & are still high? Call the NHS helpline on 111. They can professionally advise either on a course of action or send assistance to your location.

Please give them a call. All the best.

Reactions: No1DeadlyPoison

jackthejoker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey everyone, I just need a bit of advice, at what ketones level should you go to the hospital or seek medical advice?

I've done my blood sugar a couple times this evening and they have seem to just go up and up, I was 28.2mmol at 9:22pm I ate and did insulin then I did my sugar again as I've been feeling really thirsty and my meter just said HI this was at 1:10am, and for some reason when the meter is that high it doesn't tell me a correction dosage, so I guessed and gave myself 7 units. I decided to check my ketones and I have 0.4. I have been told before what level you can control at home and what level you should seek medical advice but this was a very long time ago now and I'm not sure if things have changed. I'd be really grateful for your help and sorry for the long read.

Also, I am not being sick, I'm just really thirsty.
I was told at daughters diagnosis that under 2.0 is ok to deal with at home...just drink lots maybe...??

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @No1DeadlyPoison, From my experience as a type 1 diabetic and not professional advice or opinion.
If I am at those high blood sugar levels with a correction dose not appearing to help bring the levels down I head to hospital.
I assume you are measuring blood ketones. Even though 0.4 is not a high reading in my experience when my BSLs are that high there is a very real risk of the ketone levels going higher - so better to head to hospital.
Diabetic Keto- acidosis (DKA) is no joke!!
Ketones increase my insulin resistance so a usual correction dose of insulin does not work as effectively as usual. And the hospital has better ways to get BSLs down than can be done at home.
The reason for high BSLs also needs to be sorted but that can wait until your BSLs are under control.
Please do not hesitate - hospital asap.
Let us know how you go, and later you can post about what happened!
Best Wishes for quick recovery!!

No1DeadlyPoison

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude People.
Animal Cruelty.
Unnecessary Drama.
Hey everyone, thank you for all your advice. I kept an eye on my levels through the night, so I am quiet tired now but my level this morning was 7.6mmol but still I am not sure why I was that high in the first place.