NovoRapid for 4 hours?

Timostags

I've always been told that NovoRapid takes aroung 15 minutes to get going and lasts for 4 hours.

I bought a Libre sensor at the weeking (amasing) and have been using it since Sunday lunchtime.

On Sunday night my BG was about 6 when I ate at 10pm (60g carbs patsa) I took my normal doe of novo (8units). The next morning I checked my Libre (pretty excited as this was the first nights readings). I saw a expected spike after my meal up to about 8, then the novo brought itback down to 6. Then at around 2:30 my BG suddenly plumets aand is down to 2.9 by 3.15 (2.9 on Glimp is more like 2.3 on a finger prick I have found) It then hovers around 3.5 until 6.00, then it reaches 4.5 in time for me to wake up (7.00) and do a finger test (so I wake up thinkning all was good).It then drops again and hits 2.0 on a finger 2.3 on glimp at 8.45.

Today my BG was at 7.2 I ate lunch at 13.00 (80g bread) took my normal dose of novo +1 (10 units) I see an expected peak followed by a drop at around 17.00 it reaches around 4 and then starts to rise again as I have a coffee with a few sugars in to stop it dropping into a hypo. This brings it back up to low 5's by 17.45 then at 18.00 it drops again 3.1 at 19:30.

Is this the Novo still at work? Is it more likely my Basal is too high (I have done the fastiung test to get the correct dose but not for some time)?

I remember being told of at my last appointment that I was only using sugary drinks to treat a hypo and nothing startchy, but I have never understood this...If the Bolus should have ran out then why should my BG drop? - I'm expecting me not understanding this is the reason I am getting these issues :facepalm:

I also expect these 2 events to be un related but I didn't want to span the forum with too many seperate thread about me lol.

On a side note I am absolutly loving the Libre, and am thinking of getting the MaioMaio as I have been having issues with hypo unawareness recently. The only Issue I have had is the Libre app was way off compared to a finger test. The Glimp app is much better but does seem to want to tell me I am closer to my target range than a finger test (not so much I have no confidence in it but I am learning to double check with a finger test if outside my target)- I am hoping manually adding finger test results will improve the alogrythm but worried I will have to teach it again everytime I change the sensor?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 512
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 652

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like you need to do a basal test again. It is ideal with the Libre. I too was told to have pure sugar for hypos as this helps the brain the quickest. Adding other elements may slow down the speed of recovery from hypo.

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Larger doses can last longer than 4 hours. Or yes, it might be basal.
Depends on how severe a hypo. 2.something or lower, yes, glucose heavy and fast. Less severe, something slower can often be fine.
Yes, every new sensor theoretically needs calibration - well, xDrip does, I expect the others to be the same. Also they can change a bit through their two week life.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I've always been told that NovoRapid takes aroung 15 minutes to get going and lasts for 4 hours.
Right then, to start with, NovoRapid isn't so Rapid (many people don't see it making a difference to glucose levels for 30-60 mins. Typically it also lasts a lot longer than you have been told as well. It might be worth you reading the following article: https://www.diabettech.com/insulin/...n-action-dia-times-we-use-and-why-it-matters/

The half life of insulin in the body is around 57 minutes, so at four hours there is still 1/16th of the dose active. This may not be very much insulin if it's a small dose, but it's still there and still having an effect. The reality is that insulin really lasts about 7 hours and can still have an effect at that time.

Reactions: kitedoc

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you using Lantus/Toujeo by any chance? I had all sorts of problems with strange dips in the middle of the night.