Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
There have been a coupla threads about SGLT2 inhibitors wrt to low carb diets and the risk of DKA. I have to admit that if/when I have to add stronger drugs (Metformin only atm) these family of drugs will not be my first choice.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
They are trying to get these class of drugs approved for type 1 diabs who have a large post prandial spike in glucose but it will be contraindicated for those with a history of getting into ketoacidosis easily...
In my 36 year 'career' this has only happened to me twice? And I have had some hideously high blood sugars.
I was interested because this class of drugs gets you to expel glucose via the kidneys in tpe 2s and in type 1 inhibits the take up of glucose into the blood plus they are linked to an improvement in renal and cardiovascular outcomes.
However I would very much prefer not to need them and get my HBA1c down using my new toy (freestyle libre)!

Irene Banting

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Meanness. Unkindness. Not much else.
The link is in relation to an alert about this class of drug causing a rare and serious genital infection called necrotising fasciitis of the perineum, not about the usual action of the medication. It sounds awful, and really strange. I have never heard of such a thing before!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
The link is in relation to an alert about this class of drug causing a rare and serious genital infection called necrotising fasciitis of the perineum, not about the usual action of the medication. It sounds awful, and really strange. I have never heard of such a thing before!

This has also been reported here on the forum.