High BSL when ill, why?

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I am currently dieing with man flu, my BSL’s have been pretty awful all weekend although im eating very well and very little, what is it that causes the bg rise and is it in anyway useful? Would upping my nightitme insulin make a difference or is it just something I need to accept?

Thankyou

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I can't advise you about your insulin but the reason blood glucose levels can rise during illness is because the immune system requires more energy to fight off infection or to aid repair. Get well soon.

Reactions: Fenn

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't advise you about your insulin but the reason blood glucose levels can rise during illness is because the immune system requires more energy to fight off infection or to aid repair. Get well soon.
Thankyou so its a good idea not to try and correct it, thats exactly what I was wondering

Thankyou!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Thankyou so its a good idea not to try and correct it, thats exactly what I was wondering

Thankyou!

I'm not sure if you should correct or not, I am not on insulin but other members will know what is best to do.

D

Deleted Account

I would recommend correcting your high BG.
Most bodies react as @Guzzler mentions when it thinks you need more energy.
Those with healthy pancreases will release insulin to convert the extra glucose to energy to fight the lurgy.
We have to add the extra insulin manually.

Hope you feel better soon - I can't begin to imagine how horrible man flu must be for you.

K

Knikki

Flu like a lot of things is a virus one of the by products of their life cycle is that they excrete sugars in to the system hence why your BSL will be running higher.

If it was me I would try to correct even if it is little but using short acting insulins.