First proper question about blood sugar numbers

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Hey, have been up since 4.45, normal time for me.

Had 2 eggs and bacon for breakfast.
Ham, cheese, couple of cherry tomatoes and cucumber for lunch.

Mince and veg for dinner.

Now today my meter finally arrived and I decided to add some of the pasta the wife cooked alongside the mince for everybody else, 30g give or take.

My first blood was 4.5, after an hour 5.5, did another 45 min later at 5.4

So, stupid questions to follow..

Would 60g double the increase or would it kick more. Or should I just test it?

Is it low because 30g of pasta is a small amount of carbs, I understand 100g a day is considered low and maybe 1/4 to a 1/5of what I would have been consuming. So I have dropped quite a way in days probably cutting 90% of my previous carbs.

Is it worth in the early stages having some 'normal' meals to see what happens or is that flawed.

I also understand from reading on here that water has an effect on things and apparently being dehydrated is common early in cutting carbs, I'm drinking more but not 6L or so they seem to recommend. just how much of an effect would that make?

Thanks J

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@Spl@ test everything several times just to make sure! The effects depend on what you are eating with the pasta and many many other factors.

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Ok, so walking pin cushion for a while then?
;)

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm drinking more but not 6L or so they seem to recommend
Who recommends 6L of water? That seems a ludicrous amount. Most days unless it is hot I don't drink any water as such, I just rely on the water in food and other drinks.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm drinking more but not 6L or so they seem to recommend. just how much of an effect would that make?

6L ???? That is a heck of a lot, and might even kill you! It would certainly put a huge strain on your kidneys. I reckon I drink about 2L of water including my cups of tea. I don't actually measure it, but it will be about that.

Use your meter to guide you. Keep a food diary including portion sizes and test, test, test until a suitable portion size is arrived at. Then test again a few times to make sure. Record your numbers alongside the meal in the diary. Your body is unique. How it reacts to different foods and at different times of the day will not be the same as my body, or anyone else's.

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Who recommends 6L of water? That seems a ludicrous amount. Most days unless it is hot I don't drink any water as such, I just rely on the water in food and other drinks.

It's in here unless I'm being dim (not for the first time).

https://www.ruled.me/keto-flu-remedy/

Link I was given in another thread on headaches.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's in here unless I'm being dim (not for the first time).

https://www.ruled.me/keto-flu-remedy/

Link I was given in another thread on headaches.
If I have read that correctly it says 3.7L which still seems a lot. The additional water according to weight loss is for the first five days to avoid keto flu. If you are on 100g of carbs a day that is not ketogenic but if you used to have five times that I suppose you could still get the symptoms of keto flu but time rather than water will fix that.

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Hey. That's dyslexia for you. Anybody see a reason for the wife not letting me do the banking. I probably thought "about 6 Pts" but that's what came out.

Anyho. It was only a headache. May just have been one I was going to get anyway. But I asked as bad headaches are a very rare thing for me. Can't remember a bad one that wasn't alcohol induced.

I'm aiming at a lot less than 100g too. Not keto. Lucky for me I love meat and fish. I'm a true caveman. The carbs are dull. Apart from movie munchies I really won't miss them all that much.

I beat fags. This is no different.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey. That's dyslexia for you. Anybody see a reason for the wife not letting me do the banking. I probably thought "about 6 Pts" but that's what came out.

Anyho. It was only a headache. May just have been one I was going to get anyway. But I asked as bad headaches are a very rare thing for me. Can't remember a bad one that wasn't alcohol induced.

I'm aiming at a lot less than 100g too. Not keto. Lucky for me I love meat and fish. I'm a true caveman. The carbs are dull. Apart from movie munchies I really won't miss them all that much.

I beat fags. This is no different.
Are you adding salt to your food? if you have given up processed stuff and lost some water weight then we can get a bit deficient in the white stuff.. I tend to add a pinch to my coffee just to make sure I get enough. Salting your meals also is quite good.