MiaoMiao App?

agwagw

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My new MiaoMiao has just arrived and (not being v tecky) wondering what is the best App for an android phone? The MiaoMiao website mentions xDrip+ and Glimp.

Many thanks for any help and apols if this is already on the forum, I've done a search but not found the info.

Reactions: porl69

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I use xDrip+ for mine. Really easy to set up and I also have it transmitting the readings to my Pebble Time watch. It is amazing. To be able to set alarms for highs and lows is invaluable

K

Knikki

Glimp is the other one that can be got from Android Play Store

They both do very similar things but Glimp can do more in the way of recoding loads of info.

However I did not get on with Glimp others swear by it I like @porl69 use xDrip which I think is simpler to use but still requires a bit of sitting down and playing with either one to make them work for you. :)

Have fun.

agwagw

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I use xDrip+ for mine. Really easy to set up and I also have it transmitting the readings to my Pebble Time watch. It is amazing. To be able to set alarms for highs and lows is invaluable
Many thanks, very helpful :)

agwagw

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Glimp is the other one that can be got from Android Play Store

They both do very similar things but Glimp can do more in the way of recoding loads of info.

However I did not get on with Glimp others swear by it I like @porl69 use xDrip which I think is simpler to use but still requires a bit of sitting down and playing with either one to make them work for you. :)

Have fun.
Many thanks, I'll go with xDrip :)

Connie’s Dad

I’m looking for advice on MiaoMiao too.
We’ve got one on order for my daughter. So her smartphone will act as the transmitter.

Then, how do myself and my wife follow her?

I’ve used the DEXCOM follow app, which was straightforward but the MiaoMiao seems a bit more complex.

Any help or experience appreciated!

agwagw

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Good luck. Let us know how you get on
The downlink was very useful as I could only find Glimp on google playstore. Got it up and working - exploring the various functions :pompous: One Q, I've entered an insulin dose, but there doesn't seem to be an option for long-lasting (glargine) so the predictive graph shows me reaching zero glucose in a hour or so :wideyed: can't find a way of removing what I entered either:rolleyes:.

Thx for any suggestions :)

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Well done @agwagw :)
I have not found anywhere to enter basal into it either so I use the note fuction (just under what youy press for insulin/carbs).
If you press on the graph where it shows the insulin units then you get a question at the bottom of the c=screen saying edit note. Press that then you can cancel or edit the insulin/ carbs you put in. Hope this helps

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Got it up and working - exploring the various functions

I spent an afternoon in the pub pressing every button - ooh, what does this do?!

Someone once asked why there's no user guide. The developers said they are doing this as a labour of love, and the rapid development of it means documentation would be out of date pretty quick, so there's no point in writing a user guide.

There is, though, a useful guide if you want to use it with a smart watch:

https://github.com/NightscoutFoundation/xDrip/blob/master/Documentation/WatchGuide.md

The issues page is also worth a periodic look at if any problems crop up - they've sometimes been dealt with there already:

https://github.com/NightscoutFoundation/xDrip/issues

can't find a way of removing what I entered either

As well as @porl69 's answer, another way is that after you enter a bolus or carb entry, an "undo" icon appears below the entry/notes icon on the right hand side.

the predictive graph shows

The predictive simulations are incredibly useful but take a bit of getting used to. If I'm undecided about a bolus amount, I'll often enter x units to see roughly how that might pan out, and if I don't like the look of it, I'll undo the entry and see what a different amount looks like.

They're like long range weather forecasts, so need to be taken with a pinch of salt. They'll very often rejig in a completely different way after they get a few more 5 min readings, but once they settle down after about 20 mins, they can be surprisingly accurate.

Have fun with it! I've been using it for about a year now, it makes life a lot easier.

K

Knikki

I’m looking for advice on MiaoMiao too.
We’ve got one on order for my daughter. So her smartphone will act as the transmitter.

Then, how do myself and my wife follow her?

I’ve used the DEXCOM follow app, which was straightforward but the MiaoMiao seems a bit more complex.

Any help or experience appreciated!

I don't know to be honest as I saw your question then went for a mooch around the setting of the xDrip but could not see anything obvious in the menus that would push readings out to other phones.

You can with Libre own mobile app, but that does not link to MaioMaio as far as I know.

I'll tag @Scott-C as he has pushed more buttons on xDrip than I have :)

Connie’s Dad

Thanks. I have the freestyle Librelink on my phone which is brilliant. However, we signed up for a trial of DEXCOM 6. Its APP, DEXCOM Follow, is great. Whilst at work today I spotted Connie heading towards Hypo. I was able to alert the school and ensure she was aware of it and sorted it out.

However, the MiaoMiao looks to be better option for us, Connie is more comfortable with the LIBRE sensor, its on prescription and would mean single sensor.

Because all the APPS are under development, its hard to figure out if it is capable of pushing readings to other smartphones. That is the functionality we are really keen on as it is a lot of responsibility for an 8 yr old to monitor herself all the time.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thanks. I have the freestyle Librelink on my phone which is brilliant. However, we signed up for a trial of DEXCOM 6. Its APP, DEXCOM Follow, is great. Whilst at work today I spotted Connie heading towards Hypo. I was able to alert the school and ensure she was aware of it and sorted it out.

However, the MiaoMiao looks to be better option for us, Connie is more comfortable with the LIBRE sensor, its on prescription and would mean single sensor.

Because all the APPS are under development, its hard to figure out if it is capable of pushing readings to other smartphones. That is the functionality we are really keen on as it is a lot of responsibility for an 8 yr old to monitor herself all the time.

If you link whatever app you’re using to a Nightscout account (bit of a laborious process to set up, but worth it) on all the phones, you can follow the T1 using a Nightscout app from your App Store. My husband has his set up so it only alerts him if I have a serious hypo (<2.8) - he can contact me and if I don’t respond, he knows to get me some help, as I’m home alone a lot. We’ve never needed to put this into operation, but it’s reassuring to know, I set it up when I first got my pump as I wasn’t sure how I’d adapt.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
it's hard to figure out if it is capable of pushing readings to other smartphones.

Hi, Connie's Dad, and I see you just joined today, so welcome to the forum!

Just noticed that Mel has replied re Nightscout.

Here's another possibility.

I've got an android phone, so I use the xDrip+ app.

In Settings/xDrip+ Sync settings, you get the page below. Tick the Be master for followers checkbox. You'll have downloaded xDrip+ on to the following phone, and you type the Handset Group Security Sync Key into it so the two phones will talk to each other.

I think both phones need to be permanently connected to wi-fi for it to work.

I've never actually used it myself as I have no need to share readings so I don't know if it's good, bad or indifferent. There's been a few threads where people have said it works well for them.

There's a short video about it linked below.

Screenshot_2018-11-09-12-46-56.png

agwagw

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done @agwagw :)
I have not found anywhere to enter basal into it either so I use the note fuction (just under what youy press for insulin/carbs).
If you press on the graph where it shows the insulin units then you get a question at the bottom of the c=screen saying edit note. Press that then you can cancel or edit the insulin/ carbs you put in. Hope this helps
Hi porl69, that's very helpful again :) Already finding it very useful.

agwagw

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I spent an afternoon in the pub pressing every button - ooh, what does this do?!

Someone once asked why there's no user guide. The developers said they are doing this as a labour of love, and the rapid development of it means documentation would be out of date pretty quick, so there's no point in writing a user guide.

There is, though, a useful guide if you want to use it with a smart watch:

https://github.com/NightscoutFoundation/xDrip/blob/master/Documentation/WatchGuide.md

The issues page is also worth a periodic look at if any problems crop up - they've sometimes been dealt with there already:

https://github.com/NightscoutFoundation/xDrip/issues

As well as @porl69 's answer, another way is that after you enter a bolus or carb entry, an "undo" icon appears below the entry/notes icon on the right hand side.

The predictive simulations are incredibly useful but take a bit of getting used to. If I'm undecided about a bolus amount, I'll often enter x units to see roughly how that might pan out, and if I don't like the look of it, I'll undo the entry and see what a different amount looks like.

They're like long range weather forecasts, so need to be taken with a pinch of salt. They'll very often rejig in a completely different way after they get a few more 5 min readings, but once they settle down after about 20 mins, they can be surprisingly accurate.

Have fun with it! I've been using it for about a year now, it makes life a lot easier.

Hi scott-c, that's very helpful - much appreciated :) I've played with the predictive function a few times and it is a major step forward from the Libre reader (though I have found that so incredibly useful cf fingerprick monitoring).

heasandford

NEW HERE!
Devastated after the Spike app has now failed! Thinking of buying an android phone and getting xdrip - but don't really want to spend too much as I already invested in iphone and apple watch which are now semi-redundant! Any suggestions as to best - preferably cheapest - android phone and possible watch? THANKS!

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
NEW HERE!
Devastated after the Spike app has now failed! Thinking of buying an android phone and getting xdrip - but don't really want to spend too much as I already invested in iphone and apple watch which are now semi-redundant! Any suggestions as to best - preferably cheapest - android phone and possible watch? THANKS!
There is the official MiaoMiao app called Tomato, which I think has an iwatch app too. It will also upload to Nightscout.