My Rapilose home test

Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know if this is of any interest but thought I would write about my experience doing the Rapilose test.

I've been thinking of doing this for a while now and have been doing some research on here. Friday is 3 years since I started my new regime to control my diabetes and lose weight so decided that was as good a day as any. I have been LCHF for 3 years and have gone from meds and insulin to diet controlled only. I stick at 30g of carbs per day but have recently upped my protein a little and dropped the fat as my weight has stuck. My bloods stay around the low 4's and my Hba1c is in the low 20's. I started running just over a year ago and have been struggling to run longer distances on keto so about 2 weeks ago I upped my carbs to 75g per day to see if it made a difference. My bg's rose to around 5 and low 5's doing this.

I decided to do the full test so on Tuesday I started having 150 - 200g of carbs per day for 3 days. I don't do well with sugar as it makes me crave foods I shouldn't have so I didn't want to just add the carbs in that way, even an apple sets me off. I made a big pan of pumpkin and cauliflower soup loaded with onions which I have used to bump up the carbs without adding a ton of calories and have been having this with each meal. When this is over I will never eat this again!! I have had the odd slice of homemade brown bread but have stuck to healthy carbs for 99%. Have been eating veg like it's my job!! I've also spread the carbs out into 50 per meal as much as possible. Will update this as I go along.

Tuesday am fasting: 5.6
carbs = 179g
Wednesday am fasting: 6.3 (hopefully a blip!)
carbs = 177g
Thursday am fasting: 5.0
carbs = 175g

-------------------
Rapilose Test

Fasting: 5.9
15 mins: 10.3
30 mins: 11.3
45 mins: 11.8
1:00: 13.2
1:15: 15.8
1:30: 14.2
1:45: 13.5
2:00: 10.4

Last edited:
Reactions: Safi and Guzzler

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck with the test and hope you find it easy to overcome the carb cravings afterwards. You are very aware so I'm sure you'll be fine.. keep us updated when you do the test.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
. . . . . . . as my weight has stuck

Well done on the weight loss. This sticking point or "plateau" as Weight Watchers et al like to call it is a pain in the backside. I wish I knew the answer although I've heard a few theories.

One is that we have a set point, it's individual to the person. At that point the metabolism decides that fat is not going to be burned for energy and the metabolism "slows" down. In my case that seems to tick the boxes. I was 19 st for years before going up to 27st thanks to taking Rosiglitazone and then Citilapram prescribed 1 month later because of the anxiety of gaining weight. Fortunately, because of poor liver function, I stopped Rosiglitazone and the weight fell off, so obviously I was eating less than my BMR. That weight loss stopped the moment I was prescribed Gliclazide and then didn't move until I cut the carbs and I lost more weight until I reached 19st. Great, back where I started. Obviously 19st isn't a good weight but do you think I can get lower? No way. Presently on about 1000 cals a day and in theory I should be a shadow of the man I use to be, but no, still 19st.

Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I lost 6 1/2 stone steadily but fairly easily then over the last year 2 stone has crept back on. I've got rid of one but the other one is not for shifting!

Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
3rd and final day of 150g of carbs today and tested 5.0 this morning which is a lot better than yesterday!

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Looking forward to seeing how you go @Lemonie - congratulations on your progress so far.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
3rd and final day of 150g of carbs today and tested 5.0 this morning which is a lot better than yesterday!

When do you actually do the test, Lemonie?

Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The results are in ...

Am disappointed but at least now I know and can carry on controlling it the way I have been. I am more than ready to ditch all the carbs as feel really heavy and lethargic. Am having another free eating day today and then going to zero carb for a few days to smash it down to where I'm happiest in the low 4's.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The results are in ...

Am disappointed but at least now I know and can carry on controlling it the way I have been. I am more than ready to ditch all the carbs as feel really heavy and lethargic. Am having another free eating day today and then going to zero carb for a few days to smash it down to where I'm happiest in the low 4's.

It is a shame you didn't carry on after 2 hours. When I did mine last year I dropped like a stone between 2 hours and 2.5 hours. I dropped from 11 at 2 hours down to 5.8 at 2.5hrs and kept dropping quickly after that down to low 4s before I gave in and had something to eat. I also started with a fasting of 5.9 when normally I am around 5.2.

Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If it had been closer at the 2 hour mark I would have but the question of whether or not I was in remission/reversed had been answered at that point and I had a mouth like Ghandi's sandal :/

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The results are in ...

Whilst not exactly to where want them to be, but at least your numbers were coming down at the two hour mark.

I must admit I went on testing until I bottomed out and started rising again (probably on a liver dump). Quite enlightening, but not to the extent I'm queuing up to do it again!