9 things that are not actually vegan

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not a vegan, but I certainly am pleased I stopped smoking all those years ago ... thank you for this interesting article.
I am not a vegan either, and now thankfully an ex smoker but not for this reason. But it is an interesting article. It does seem that drugs like Sukkarto that use shellac as their enteric coating are a no-no for vegans, as are many alcoholic beverages. And I understand Avacado is also on the verboten list too as is honey. There may be others to crawl out of the woodwork.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am not vegan but I am not going to eat things that crawl out of the woodwork!
We may all have to do that in time if the agriculture economists / doom merchants are right about global warming.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’m not vegan either, but do have to be really careful about stuff like this because I’m allergic to milk and meat/gelatine - so many beers and wines set off a serious asthma attack, because they are used in the filtering processes. So jelly babies are out for hypos, that kind of thing.

Interestingly, older formulations of black tattoo ink are made using bone char, so I have to make sure my artist uses vegan inks when I go for a spot of permanent mutilation, just in case being of mammal origin triggered an allergic reaction ;)

Having said all that, I do think that we’ll be seeing insects more and more on the menu - a friend of mine who makes meat, vegan and fruit jerkies, also does a range of spiced, dried invertebrate snacks. The locusts and mealworms are awesome and a great source of protein. I love them :) You can also grind them to make really good, high protein flour for baking. And biologically speaking, not much different to prawns.

Reactions: DavidK59

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I always remember my parent's admonition when we kids complained about the look and taste of food " It is all the same when it gets digested".
I have personally tried roasted witchety grubs (an Aboriginal delicacy) and they are quite tasty - just not in ready supply where I live.
And a little off topic but the cartoonist Leunig has a cartoon where the protagonist is trying to breed a multi-legged chicken.
After many attempts, he succeeds.
At the tasting the judge is asked for comments on the flavour: he says "Tastes like centipede" ! Bom! Bom !

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I always remember my parent's admonition when we kids complained about the look and taste of food " It is all the same when it gets digested".
I have personally tried roasted witchety grubs (an Aboriginal delicacy) and they are quite tasty - just not in ready supply where I live.
And a little off topic but the cartoonist Leunig has a cartoon where the protagonist is trying to breed a multi-legged chicken.
After many attempts, he succeeds.
At the tasting the judge is asked for comments on the flavour: he says "Tastes like centipede" ! Bom! Bom !
I should point out that this is posted in the vegetarian threads section, so the protein being discussed here is not suitable either. I am not myself vegetarian or vegan, but respect that lifestyle.