ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I too lose weight on Canagliflozin or Dapagliflozin.
I'm on 800cals diet but I'm mindful of how many carbs I eat when unsatisfying hunger takes hold.
I have ketone meter and strips but only a few and I'm not sure when I'll have the additional money to buy some.
I won't be testing unless I see signs of.....

High levels of ketones usually build up in the blood and urine, causing the symptoms of DKA:
  • abdominal pain (especially in children)
  • confusion.
  • decreased perspiration.
  • deep and laboured breathing (a later symptom)
  • dry, cool skin.
  • excessive thirst and urination.
  • fatigue.
  • high blood glucose
  • nausea and vomiting
  • presence of ketones in the blood or urine
  • rapid weight loss
  • sweet, fruity odour on the breath (it may smell like nail polish remover)
As ketones accumulate in the blood, more ketones will be passed in the urine, taking sodium and potassium salts out with them. Over time, levels of sodium and potassium salts in the body become depleted, which can cause nausea and vomiting. The result is a vicious cycle.
Dehydration is another complication of DKA. High levels of ketones are associated with high sugar levels in the blood and urine. More water is drawn into the urine, resulting in frequent urination. Combined with vomiting – from an upset stomach, or possibly due to a bout of flu or illness – the body quickly loses too much water and electrolytes.
Dehydration can occur rapidly (within hours) and is very serious.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Ive bought some keytone strips because of this thread, mine are 1.0 today, spoke to dsn today about something else and she said go to casulty if it reaches 1.5, this isnt great because the strips are very expensive and dont want to keep doing it :(

As long as im jabbing up enough insulin I dont think I can go into dka right? From what iver read and understood dka is caused by not enough insulin?

Reactions: Carrie16

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Ive bought some keytone strips because of this thread, mine are 1.0 today, spoke to dsn today about something else and she said go to casulty if it reaches 1.5, this isnt great because the strips are very expensive and dont want to keep doing it :(

As long as im jabbing up enough insulin I dont think I can go into dka right? From what iver read and understood dka is caused by not enough insulin?
I'm no expert on DKA but if you're ill or become ill then seek medical help, asap. We'll that's what I will do. I haven't tested my ketones yet as I'm not vomiting or feeling ill that way. Also I too take alot of insulin. Insulin therapy I feel prevents DKA but only if used correctly.
If I'm in doubt but well I'd ask my diabetes nurse. They are only an answering machine response away.

Reactions: Fenn

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm no expert on DKA but if you're ill or become ill then seek medical help, asap. We'll that's what I will do. I haven't tested my ketones yet as I'm not vomiting or feeling ill that way. Also I too take alot of insulin. Insulin therapy I feel prevents DKA but only if used correctly.
If I'm in doubt but well I'd ask my diabetes nurse. They are only an answering machine response away.
The nurse stopped them, my keytones are always present, i went to 2.5 I think and she said to stop them, so I no longer take them, I wished I did though, they really helped me or seemed to anyway, I am kinda hoping I can take them again, I always have keytones for some reason, regardless if im eating carbs or not, day or night, not sure what that means or if I should have stopped them, just another confusing aspect of diabetes I suppose.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
The nurse stopped them, my keytones are always present, i went to 2.5 I think and she said to stop them, so I no longer take them, I wished I did though, they really helped me or seemed to anyway, I am kinda hoping I can take them again, I always have keytones for some reason, regardless if im eating carbs or not, day or night, not sure what that means or if I should have stopped them, just another confusing aspect of diabetes I suppose.
Dietary ketones confuse the matter. @Brunneria is the best person to explain that to you. I confuse what and how dietary ketones are/aren't unsafe for type2s.
She knows it well. So.hopefully she can keep you right.

I feel you should continue monitoring your ketones even off these drugs then you can compare how much these drugs effect you. If you can continue to afford it. It's very expensive. (on top of buying supplements and other essentials for diabetes).
I've bought new containers/shakers and excessive additional milk for my shakes. Shakes don't cost alot compared to real protein but soy affects my thyroid so I feel slows down weight loss. More expensive shakes are constantly being discouraged... currently.
With insulin I have to buy glucose tablets too.
My diabetes is constantly costing me money.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dietary ketones confuse the matter. @Brunneria is the best person to explain that to you. I confuse what and how dietary ketones are/aren't unsafe for type2s.
She knows it well. So.hopefully she can keep you right.

I feel you should continue monitoring your ketones even off these drugs then you can compare how much these drugs effect you. If you can continue to afford it. It's very expensive. (on top of buying supplements and other essentials for diabetes).
I've bought new containers/shakers and excessive additional milk for my shakes. Shakes don't cost alot compared to real protein but soy affects my thyroid so I feel slows down weight loss. More expensive shakes are constantly being discouraged... currently.
With insulin I have to buy glucose tablets too.
My diabetes is constantly costing me money.
Thankyou, yes I must get some more, I am self funding the libre so compared the that the strips wont kill me hehe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They were worried about infections down stairs, they constantly asked me if I had any while taking them, lickily I didnt have any troubles, I had seen that but “rare” sounded ok to me.
It's likely that the infection that they were worried about was a fungal infection. Passing sugar in the urine has a risk of that. The FDA warning is for something completely different and when I asked DN about it she hadn't heard of it.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry I thought that was what that was refering to, I have to be honest I fuzz over when I try to read clever stuff

ZESTRIL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi welcome,

I have been taking these for about 7 months, havent noticed any weight loss, I dont know how high your sugars are but when mine were high teens they made me pee like crazy and urgently, (more than usual high bg peeing) now im between 7 and 15 the peeing has reduced quite a bit, I havent lost any weight though sorry

I know 7-15 is a large window by im trying to get insulin dialled in

Also I dont have a huge amount of weight to lose, maybe if you are heavier it might work more?

ZESTRIL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm on victosa Empaglifozin I wasn't put on them to lose weight I was put on them because I couldn't take the devel drug metformin I suffer for 15 years with Metformin running to the toilet and I've never felt better since I stop metformin I do get inflammation in my thighs I just put it down to diabetes it's not nice but I've noticed. If you stay away from perfume soap it helps I'm using simple soap now and the simple shower gel I don't know much about this link praps I've been lucky over the infection and I hope it stays that way

Reactions: Carrie16

ZESTRIL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm not sure what the key tone stripes are they the ones you test your blood sugar level with if so I get mine for free has I live in England

ZESTRIL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It's likely that the infection that they were worried about was a fungal infection. Passing sugar in the urine has a risk of that. The FDA warning is for something completely different and when I asked DN about it she hadn't heard of it.
Yes I know what your talking about I do have the fungal infections but now I've been using simple soap it's not so bad it can get very sore

Last edited:
Reactions: Larry55