Parkrun

Connie’s Dad

Prior to being diagnosed, myself and Connie regularly did parkrun. She has done 30 odd all around 40 mins for 5k.

We went back and did our first one. A leisurely stroll with new puppy (a whole other story!)

Now looking to gradually build it back up and hopefully get faster than before.

Any advice on testing, snacks, hydration etc all appreciated.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Connie’s Dad . Great positivity. If you could give a few more details then you will most likely get more appropriate advice and tips.
What type diabetes have you been blessed with? What medication are you on, if any? Answering these 2 questions will be a good starting point.

Reactions: Connie’s Dad

Connie’s Dad

@Connie’s Dad . Great positivity. If you could give a few more details then you will most likely get more appropriate advice and tips.
What type diabetes have you been blessed with? What medication are you on, if any? Answering these 2 questions will be a good starting point.

It’s Type1, currently novorapid and levimer. However, in honeymoon so quite high ratios and low lev dose.

Advice on - levels prior to exercise.
Carbs straight before?
carbs during?

Any foods that are best? Slow releasing carbs?

Thanks

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Therower, my understanding is it's Connie, rather than her Dad who has had the gift of the big D bestowed upon her.

Connie’s Dad

Therower, my understanding is it's Connie, rather than her Dad who has had the gift of the big D bestowed upon her.

Yep. It is Connie.

I’m trying to learn as much as I can to help her start doing the things she used to like.
Although like any kid it did feel I was having to do a lot of persuading for running.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep. It is Connie.

I’m trying to learn as much as I can to help her start doing the things she used to like.
Although like any kid it did feel I was having to do a lot of persuading for running.

I'm not T1 myself, but my local area there are a couple of physical groups that I know of for child and youth T1s. One is a choir (not necessarily the greatest voices in the world, but they go for it), and the other focusing on physical activity, running, tennis, trampolining, paint ball, plus an annual sports day. They seem to do really well, and the sports group have 50-60 attending.

The vast majority of them seem to be on pumps, once they get the hang of the basics.

If Connie would be interested in local peer groups, her clinic would likely know what happens. Local councils also have well-being people, whose business it is to know what goes on, when it comes to local groups, for all sorts.

Bobbin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'd suggest testing levels before the walk/run and having a wee packet of Haribo or similar - 10 to 15g of quick acting carbs. Test at the end if the Parkrun, earlier if not feeling right. And keep an eye on levels for a few hours afterwards.
Once your pup is old enough, your daughter might want to look into starting Canicross with him/her. Harness on dog, bungee lead attached to waist belt on person. She could start teaching directional command s etc from now. Added bonus is that dog can carry testing kit and hypo treatments.

Davie_sett

Type of diabetes
Type 1
If I was doing one i would test my blood sugar before breakfast then I would try and test about 10 mins before or so just to make sure its not running to low or high for some weird reason mine seems to go high whenever i do park run last time I got a pb it was all the way up to 25 when i finished.