Omnipod and Hypurin Porcine?

• Thread starter Deleted member 83869
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 83869

Hello,

I have been researching about Hypurin Porcine and would like to change to it...if possible....I have an appointment with my consultant Tuesday night and want to ask but I am so nervous to ask in fear of being shut down and dismissed (I have General Anxiety Disorder and Depression) Is it possible to change from NovoRapid to Hypurin?? I have read all of the info on IDDT and honestly didn't know about animal insulin and analogue insulin.
Any advice please?

Thank you x

D

Deleted member 83869

I can’t answer your question, but can I be nosey and ask why?
Curiosity, I think....but since being diabetic, I have had chronic vulva itching for about 11 years now, and it has only just been diagnosed as lichen sclerosus, and upon reading the information on IDDT and some of the posts on here, alot of people have felt better on animal insulin...i understand that that may not be the case for everyone, but there's no harm in trying right??
This is from IDDT

Question: Although you were quite young when you first changed to GM ‘human’ insulin, were you aware of any changes in your diabetes?

Bev: No

Question: So what made you change back to animal insulin?

Bev: I didn’t feel at all well and it was really a last resort. I seemed to be always visiting my GP and had lots of tests but he couldn’t find anything wrong with me.

Question: What do you mean when you say that you weren’t very well?

Bev: I felt constantly tired and depressed. I felt as though I had high blood sugars but they weren’t. I had problems remembering things from one minute to the next and felt unable to hold a conversation. I felt inadequate and a sort of numbness and separate from what was going on around me. On top of this I put on a lot of weight very quickly.

Question: So what happened then?

Bev: Because I had heard rumours about ‘human’ insulin affecting people differently, as a last resort I changed back to animal insulin and at this point if it hadn’t worked I don’t know what I would have done. My GP was happy to change me back to pork insulin but I know that this is not always the case for everyone who wants to change.

This sounds like me too..constantly tired, depressed, and just all round sh*t!!

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thank you for such a candid reply, I’d be interested to know how you get on. How are your BG levels, on the whole? I felt a lot like you describe when mine were higher, but getting them to normal non-d levels has pretty much got rid of that.

D

Deleted member 83869

Thank you for such a candid reply, I’d be interested to know how you get on. How are your BG levels, on the whole? I felt a lot like you describe when mine were higher, but getting them to normal non-d levels has pretty much got rid of that.

That's okay :)
Rubbish but that's down to my Depression, I just feel so rubbish all of the time. In the 10 years of having Diabetes my HbA1c has never been below 50 no matter how hard I try :(

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
Hi, I went back onto animal insulin many years ago with the iddt help after nearly losing my driving license due to limited hypo warning signs. ! year ago I agreed to try fiasp however in 1 year I have gained over 1 stone in weight so 3 weeks ago I went back onto hypurin porcine.
There is lots of help on here but doctors have no experience with it so are reluctant. it is your right to chose your treatment and not to go ive you that right us discrimination.
On iddt there is info to take to your consultant and how to fight it.
This time round I just changed myself back and told my go this was what I was using- not recommending this but wuth 46 years experience I felt perfectly capable.
I use it in a Medtronic 640 pump and have 6 years with animas vibe pump .
it stopped the itching, it gave me hypo warnings and already in 3 weeks I am losing weight- that includes xmas so I am happy. However it is much slower so I still have fiasp pens for emergency high sugars as I don't want to be high for that long.
They have also prescribed dapagliflozin for me as s type 1- the first in the south west but with the porcine it is working well

https://www.iddt.org/about/gm-vs-an...ltant-refuses-to-change-you-to-animal-insulin

https://www.iddt.org/about/gm-vs-animal-insulin