Type 2 Anything I should know before testing ketones?

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I got myself a glucomen areo 2k and some very pricey ketone strips. Is there anything I should know before attempting my first test, or is it as simple as testing my BG? Can I do it any time of the day, fasting or non-fasting?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I got myself a glucomen areo 2k and some very pricey ketone strips. Is there anything I should know before attempting my first test, or is it as simple as testing my BG? Can I do it any time of the day, fasting or non-fasting?

Yep just the same as testing BG. Mine are usually higher in the evening but I think that varies between people..not used that particular meter but make sure you have enough blood (I found my ketone meter needed more blood than the BG one which wasted a fair few strips).

Reactions: briped

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Yep just the same as testing BG. Mine are usually higher in the evening but I think that varies between people..not used that particular meter but make sure you have enough blood (I found my ketone meter needed more blood than the BG one which wasted a fair few strips).

Thanks, bulkbiker. The result was a whopping 0.6! :banghead: I switched to this meter recently, and found that indeed it does require more blood than my old meter, even for testing BG. I'm glad I learned that before wasting 8 ketone strips and not just the 8 BG strips, which I get for free.
Before reading your reply I found this link, which does say that ketones tend to be higher in the evening. I'll test again tonight, out of curiosity :) https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/lchf/Ketosis-Measuring-Ketones

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Nicely in nutritional ketosis.. great place to be..!
Thanks, but I'd have thought it's a somewhat tentative result at best ...? I'm no expert, mind you. I more than suspect you are :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, but I'd have thought it's a somewhat tentative result at best ...? I'm no expert, mind you. I more than suspect you are :)
Nope that's pretty good... you're in ketosis which is where you want to be..the number is just that but once you're in you're in!

Reactions: briped