Low Carb "Potato Mash" (no cauliflower)

ketointheuk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried cauliflower last year and then mashing swede for the top of sheperds pie but personally I find that mixng swede and celeriac gives the best potato like flavour! celeriac is 2.2g carbs war and swede less than 5 so well low carb to make! This i made with more than a kilo of both combined and makes a good 8 portions as a side, even more!

NUTRITIONAL VALUES (this recipe makes at least 8 side portions, so this is assuming 1/8th of the recipe)
296kcal 23g Fat 14g Protein 2.5g Carbs (3g Fibre)

Video recipe here:

ketointheuk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
it seems a lot of ingredients and a lot of trouble and a lot of money to disguise and bury perfectly good ground meat in an unnecessary starch?
meat? there isn't meat? technically not even that much starch or ingredients since it's cheese, celeriac and swede? are we talking about the same recipe?

D

Deleted member 308541

meat? there isn't meat? technically not even that much starch or ingredients since it's cheese, celeriac and swede? are we talking about the same recipe?
Most probably not, as I could not see any meat either in the video.

T2#Me

I tried cauliflower last year and then mashing swede for the top of sheperds pie but personally I find that mixng swede and celeriac gives the best potato like flavour! celeriac is 2.2g carbs war and swede less than 5 so well low carb to make! This i made with more than a kilo of both combined and makes a good 8 portions as a side, even more!

NUTRITIONAL VALUES (this recipe makes at least 8 side portions, so this is assuming 1/8th of the recipe)
296kcal 23g Fat 14g Protein 2.5g Carbs (3g Fibre)

Video recipe here:
Thank you very much, just what I was looking for. (and the presenter is cute) !

Reactions: ketointheuk
D

Deleted member 308541

I think there is a definition difference US to UK for shepherd's pie. Shepherd's pie US is this concoction that we used to have served us in elementary school consisting of a half inch of baked ground lamb covered with about three inches tall of instant mashed potatoes and served on a plate in a large slab. Children would moan when it showed up. Only thing worse was a dish called **** on a shingle, i.e. a piece of toast covered with kind of tough mystery meat covered with a very artificial gravy
It's easy to remember what meat goes in shepherds pie, mutton that is minced up.

Cottage pie has beef mince in it.

D

Deleted member 308541

US does not sell mutton normally, except in a couple Asian markets, only lamb. Meanwhile, we have plenty of sheep
Australia exports a lot of live sheep around 70,000 head at a time by ship. These mainly go to peace loving Arab countries like Saudi and the Arab Emirates.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Contralto - in my part of the UK shepherds pie contains minced lamb. Without it the mixture in the recipe is just a celeriac/swede alternative to mashed potatoes - as is indicated by the wording at the start of the video :wideyed:

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is a Shepherd's pie with a topping of mashed swede.

Pie2.jpg

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
I’m tired after watching the video

Mixing the suede with the celeriac sounds good, so I’ll give it a go (not sure I want to boil my veg for an hour and risk losing all the vitamins though).

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m sat right now eating mashed celeriac for the first (and probably last) time. I had a fair bit left over and a swede in need of eating so tomorrow will give this a whirl. Got to be worth a try

D

Deleted member 308541

Mixing the suede with the celeriac sounds good, so I’ll give it a go (not sure I want to boil my veg for an hour and risk losing all the vitamins though).
The school dinner cooks did not worry about stuff like that, just boil the guts out of it was their method.