Can't get my head around ...massive insulin doses

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
One for you type 1s who have had an infection. Id love some advice/reassurance because having had a urinary track/kidney infection 2 weeks ago and needing 2 rounds of antibiotics to resolve it (boo hiss to antibiotics) I am STILL needing 20% more basal and double normal bolus doses to get my blood sugars approaching normal levels. Normally reasonably insulin sensitive e.g. carb to insulin ratio of 0.7 to 10g and a basal of 18 units so this is freaking me out.
My nurse has just said that I am temporarily insulin resistant and must test/bolus every 2 hours but I am terrified of a) gaining weight b) getting insulin resistant. She is only worried about ketones and bg levels.
I am back at work but feel exhausted and haven't picked up my usual gym routine. Eating less after having not eaten for a week or so just not sure what to do to get shot of the insulin resistance or whatever is causing it.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
One for you type 1s who have had an infection. Id love some advice/reassurance because having had a urinary track/kidney infection 2 weeks ago and needing 2 rounds of antibiotics to resolve it (boo hiss to antibiotics) I am STILL needing 20% more basal and double normal bolus doses to get my blood sugars approaching normal levels. Normally reasonably insulin sensitive e.g. carb to insulin ratio of 0.7 to 10g and a basal of 18 units so this is freaking me out.
My nurse has just said that I am temporarily insulin resistant and must test/bolus every 2 hours but I am terrified of a) gaining weight b) getting insulin resistant. She is only worried about ketones and bg levels.
I am back at work but feel exhausted and haven't picked up my usual gym routine. Eating less after having not eaten for a week or so just not sure what to do to get shot of the insulin resistance or whatever is causing it.

The main thing is getting better @NicoleC1971 and any increase in weight gain can, I'm sure, be dealt with after you are feeling better and back on track. Could you possibly have a couple more days off work to recuperate at home properly, but I know this can be awkward regarding work issues ?
Sending get well wishes :)

Reactions: zand

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The main thing is getting better @NicoleC1971 and any increase in weight gain can, I'm sure, be dealt with after you are feeling better and back on track. Could you possibly have a couple more days off work to recuperate at home properly, but I know this can be awkward regarding work issues ?
Sending get well wishes :)
Thank you Robinredbreast. Haven't had a day off work for years before this incident so have gone from feeling like Superwoman to a voulnerable mere mortal! The nature of my work (Personal Trainer) is that I lose money if I am not training folk so I am reluctant to take time off when there seems no definite end in sight though will head back to the GP if things don't get better soon.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So assuming your job is really physical and you normally use the gym as well you're surprised your insulin sensitivity has gone up?! I wouldn't stress currently, when you pick back up itll come down again

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So assuming your job is really physical and you normally use the gym as well you're surprised your insulin sensitivity has gone up?! I wouldn't stress currently, when you pick back up itll come down again
Fair point. I am just amazed at the extent of the rises that I am seeing. Also on a quiet day we PTs are a lazy bunch (currently not moving much whilst being on this forum for example!).

Reactions: kitedoc

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Get well soon. N.B This forum is good for one's health ;)

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@NicoleC1971 you've had a nasty infection, so with that, along with the antibiotics, it will take time for you to get back to normal. A couple of years ago, I had a virus which raised my blood sugar so much, my basal rate doubled.

I was told to take things easy till I felt better. You're in a difficult position with your job. All I can advise is to rest as much as possible. Your sugar levels will come down eventually. Just be on the lookout for hypos in the near future.

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@NicoleC1971 one thing to consider - are you sure the infection is gone? The symptoms being gone does not necessarily mean that the infection has scarpered.

Other than that, kidney infections are nasty beasts, and it's going to take your body a while to repair the damage and heal - 'unusual' might be normal for a bit, if that makes sense?

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @NicoleC1971, The stress of University exams would see my insulin requirement reach 300% usual for 2 or more weeks leading up to the exam time. What concerned me most was when to start dropping the doses back as hypos could follow within 4 days of the 'stress effect' stopping.
Also as @EllsKBells has written the infection may not have fully settled and I wonder whether the underlying cause of the infection might need exploring.
Best Wishes for a consistent recovery. Perhaps you will need to compensate at work by exercising your voice more and your body less than usual !!

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @NicoleC1971, The stress of University exams would see my insulin requirement reach 300% usual for 2 or more weeks leading up to the exam time. What concerned me most was when to start dropping the doses back as hypos could follow within 4 days of the 'stress effect' stopping.
Also as @EllsKBells has written the infection may not have fully settled and I wonder whether the underlying cause of the infection might need exploring.
Best Wishes for a consistent recovery. Perhaps you will need to compensate at work by exercising your voice more and your body less than usual !!
Heading back to the doctor to check for loitering bugs and am bringing out my not very inner bossy PT voice. Legs have turned to cotton wool after too much bed rest....Thanks all for your responses.