Advice on injecting in public

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Too many medical appointments
The winter months, it’s cold when you’re bald!
But why not do it in the bathroom - or some other inconspicuous location, ie in a situation where you do not attract attention?
I’m on chemotherapy for life now, some of my injections are to support my white blood cells and my immune system. Public bathrooms rarely have a clean dry, flat surface to mix liquid and powder but I keep looking and return to the places with the best facilities. I haven’t yet found an inconspicuous location to retreat to for my thigh injections and the number of gender neutral bathrooms in Birmingham is crazy. Hippodrome Theatre was the last bathroom I showed the whole queue of men, women and children my pants!

Reactions: porl69 and Dodo

Chris Bowsher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Assuming you aren't a total Newb and and have a NovoPen or whatever you should be able to swiftly and effortlessly shoot up into your stomach anywhere without causing a scene. - Ignore your family.
The needles on the pens these days are so tiny you'd have to get right up close to even see it.

I have kids and am very open about testing and injecting in front of them
One day they might be diabetic too i want them to think it's totally normal.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m on chemotherapy for life now, some of my injections are to support my white blood cells and my immune system. Public bathrooms rarely have a clean dry, flat surface to mix liquid and powder but I keep looking and return to the places with the best facilities. I haven’t yet found an inconspicuous location to retreat to for my thigh injections and the number of gender neutral bathrooms in Birmingham is crazy. Hippodrome Theatre was the last bathroom I showed the whole queue of men, women and children my pants!

Tickledpink, don't let anybody tell YOU where to do your injections, do it where you feel comfortable doing it. You have nothing to be ashamed of although with some of these comments you could be forgiven for thinking you have! You have a lot to cope with, with that diagnosis and I find it abhorrent that on top of that you have to give thought to the ignorant sensitivities of others. x

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Too many medical appointments
The winter months, it’s cold when you’re bald!
Tickledpink, don't let anybody tell YOU where to do your injections, do it where you feel comfortable doing it. You have nothing to be ashamed of although with some of these comments you could be forgiven for thinking you have! You have a lot to cope with, with that diagnosis and I find it abhorrent that on top of that you have to give thought to the ignorant sensitivities of others. x
Thank you KK123, your support is much appreciated. I’m quite a tough cookie and a little bit militant sometimes. If people want to make a point of staring that’s their choice. They could look away if they’re needle phobic or whatever. I refuse to stay home and feel sorry for myself or let taking medication restrict what I do, life really is too short for all that nonsense xx

JC Durant

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If some one has a problem with seeing some injecting they to should consider being supportive. Seeing someone inject is nothing compared to what you have had to deal with. Ask her how she would feel giving herself a jab for the first time. I have been type 1 for 26 years and go to meeting and meals with my sensor and insulin pen laid in front of me. If I need a shot I’ll take it then and there in my thigh . I have never had an awkward moment or comment made to me. Maybe I am lucky ,maybe my passive demonstration that I have a condition and I will deal with my way works.

Pol_Ie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Broccoli
I'm a T1 and my mother is also a T1.....I've seen her injecting at the dinner table and also noticed some people's reaction to it. Most are fine but some turn away and roll their eyes. It might be a 'fear of needles' thing I don't know but I personally put my pen and monitor in my pocket and go to the toilet or a spare bedroom...just my preference

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I gave up hiding away to inject years ago now...if testing or injecting at the table I’m always discreet and I will always give the squeamish fair warning of what I’m about to do so that they can look away. I usually find people are more offended by the smell of insulin from my test shot than anything else I’m doing.

Reactions: Dodo and porl69