Humalin I

Robmoney

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I'm t2 diagnosed about 18 months ago numbers were dropping nicely hb1c was 7 in June now 12 and after changing meds about have been put on humilin 1 (as of Sat) will start. Don't know what to expect really any advice

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, is it Humalin I or Humalin 1?

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I take Humalin I, its a long lasting insulin, I take it 30 minutes before bedtime, it basically reduces your long term baseline numbers, it does not stop your meal time spikes.

Its a pen, you fix your needle to the end, which is tiny and squirt 2 units into the air, onto the cat, over your iPad whatever, then you dial into the pen your pre decided dose, for me it is 16, then stick the pen into your belly and count to 10, easy peasy, you will of course have to be ready for a hypo i.e.. glucotabs or jelly babies so keep an eye on your bg numbers

I hope thats helpful

If you do have Humalin 1, then disregard everything I just said as I don't know what that is

Best of luck

Robmoney

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take Humalin I, its a long lasting insulin, I take it 30 minutes before bedtime, it basically reduces your long term baseline numbers, it does not stop your meal time spikes.

Its a pen, you fix your needle to the end, which is tiny and squirt 2 units into the air, onto the cat, over your iPad whatever, then you dial into the pen your pre decided dose, for me it is 16, then stick the pen into your belly and count to 10, easy peasy, you will of course have to be ready for a hypo i.e.. glucotabs or jelly babies so keep an eye on your bg numbers

I hope thats helpful

If you do have Humalin 1, then disregard everything I just said as I don't know what that is

Best of luck
Thanks for info. yes it is Humalin I slip of finger.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
When you start it I believe normal practise is to start you on a low dose and slowly increase it. I say this because I was awake the whole first night worried I would hypo but there was no need to be worried and lose sleep, It will take a while to get your dose right, I became frustrated with my still high numbers so decided to whack some in one day as an experiment, believe me it is working and much more potent than you may realise so don't do that! slow and steady wins the race I guess :)

I should also say that insulin isn't the evil that it is made to sound on the forum, if you aren't producing enough of your own then its a life saving drug and nothing to be afraid of, unfortunately you will hear a lot of "I don't want to get that bad and end up on insulin" on the forum, this makes you feel great but if you need it, you need it, it is far less harmful than high bg numbers.

Reactions: NaijaChick

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
When you start it I believe normal practise is to start you on a low dose and slowly increase it. I say this because I was awake the whole first night worried I would hypo but there was no need to be worried and lose sleep, It will take a while to get your dose right, I became frustrated with my still high numbers so decided to whack some in one day as an experiment, believe me it is working and much more potent than you may realise so don't do that! slow and steady wins the race I guess :)

I should also say that insulin isn't the evil that it is made to sound on the forum, if you aren't producing enough of your own then its a life saving drug and nothing to be afraid of, unfortunately you will hear a lot of "I don't want to get that bad and end up on insulin" on the forum, this makes you feel great but if you need it, you need it, it is far less harmful than high bg numbers.

Robmoney

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Can I ask a stupid question picked up my pen this morning I was not expecting it to be white /or cloudy. I assume this is normal thanks Bob

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Can I ask a stupid question picked up my pen this morning I was not expecting it to be white /or cloudy. I assume this is normal thanks Bob
Yes, I roll it in my hands, then tilt it up and down until im happy it is mixed, perfectly normal, looks kinda icky but you will get used to it

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
From what I understand, the white stuff is the sutff that slows the clear stuff down, very technical lol my fast acting is clear so I googled it, cant remember exactly what it said but that seemed to be the gist

Robmoney

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for your reply. I will Start in the morning and see how I get on with it. One part of me is pleased I will be controlling it and the other is terrified I do it wrong. Thanks again

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Let us know how you get on, remember air shot, I believe its important to get the air from the needle, although my dsn did say if you foget, dont panic, I cant pretend I have control yet but am trying and at least feel like im on the right path and have the tools I need, best of luck, my first jab I couldnt bring myself to plunge, I have no phobias, I was just super nervous like jumping from a high diving board at the swimming baths, once youve done it once, its easy

Reactions: Robmoney

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hi Guys :) @Robmoney and @Fenn I also use Humulin I - been using it just over 4 years now.
@Robmoney Remember to rotate each injection site, you can inject in top of Thighs and outer tops of Arms as well as the Stomach. Never inject in the same place repeatedly.

Reactions: NaijaChick and Fenn

Robmoney

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well day 3 it nice to see numbers dropping still high Ave. 10.5 down from 15 having chat with nurse Thursday about upping amount. First day Sat looking at tum for about 10 minutes before injection now pick site stick it in
I am rotating site. Thanks to everyone much appreciated

Reactions: Liam1955