A question about Basal dosage in a low carb diet

Delta31

Hello guys, I've been searching about basal dose testing and I have some questions. How should one in a low carb diet test if his basal is correct? I'm using Lantus and Humalog, both with a pen, and the problem is that in meals I need to split my bolus dose, and apply them after some time, because of the delayed effect of protein and fat on the blood glucose. So what I'm questioning is, are those "extra" doses allowed during the test? Should I begin testing how many hours after the last meal? How many hours of fasting is necessary?

Reactions: CranberryIce

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry you haven’t had any responses yet.
I will tag in some insulin users experienced in low(ish) carb or keto eating, and hopefully they can comment.

By way of background, how ‘low’ are you thinking?

@himtoo @Mel dCP @Jaylee

CranberryIce

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello guys, I've been searching about basal dose testing and I have some questions. How should one in a low carb diet test if his basal is correct? I'm using Lantus and Humalog, both with a pen, and the problem is that in meals I need to split my bolus dose, and apply them after some time, because of the delayed effect of protein and fat on the blood glucose. So what I'm questioning is, are those "extra" doses allowed during the test? Should I begin testing how many hours after the last meal? How many hours of fasting is necessary?

The simplest answer is no... whilst basal testing you don’t want any quick acting insulin on board or don’t want to be giving any.

I take a split dose of Levemir- morning and evening. They are roughly 12 hours apart and I often do a basal test.

Before basal testing I always make make sure that:
1. My last meal was at-least 4 hours ago. I try and make sure that this meal is low protein/fat as I too have to split my bolus for those because of the delayed effect.
2. My last dose of quick acting was also 4 hours ago, as this may effect my basal test.

How many hours you fast for is, is up to you. I tend to fast for 12 hours so I can measure one dose at a time. Other times I have done a couple of hours apart. From waking to lunch, then the next day from lunch to tea... etc

It is a pain... but is really telling. Good luck x

Edit: I also break the fast/basal test if my levels elevate higher than they should and likewise if I have hypo’d

Last edited:

edan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
You can take the split bolus with the meal before the test, you just can’t start the basal test until the previous meal and insulin have finished working, so at least four hours after last bolus insulin.

Delta31

The simplest answer is no... whilst basal testing you don’t want any quick acting insulin on board or don’t want to be giving any.

I take a split dose of Levemir- morning and evening. They are roughly 12 hours apart and I often do a basal test.

Before basal testing I always make make sure that:
1. My last meal was at-least 4 hours ago. I try and make sure that this meal is low protein/fat as I too have to split my bolus for those because of the delayed effect.
2. My last dose of quick acting was also 4 hours ago, as this may effect my basal test.

How many hours you fast for is, is up to you. I tend to fast for 12 hours so I can measure one dose at a time. Other times I have done a couple of hours apart. From waking to lunch, then the next day from lunch to tea... etc

It is a pain... but is really telling. Good luck x

Edit: I also break the fast/basal test if my levels elevate higher than they should and likewise if I have hypo’d
Thanks for answering. What does you eat before testing?

Reactions: CranberryIce

Stefans

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Delta31, I used to split my bolus, but then I change to Actrapid, i.e. a regular short-acting insulins instead of a Rapid-acting insulins, i.e. use Insuman, Actrapid or Humulin R, they last for 3-5 hours instead of 2-3. That for me is perfect for a low carb diet.

Delta31

@Delta31, I used to split my bolus, but then I change to Actrapid, i.e. a regular short-acting insulins instead of a Rapid-acting insulins, i.e. use Insuman, Actrapid or Humulin R, they last for 3-5 hours instead of 2-3. That for me is perfect for a low carb diet.
I think I'll change my bolus, thanks. I see that you are on a Bernstein type diet. Do you basal test normally, after 4 hours of the last injection?

Stefans

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think I'll change my bolus, thanks. I see that you are on a Bernstein type diet. Do you basal test normally, after 4 hours of the last injection?
Basal test is very hard. Basal is something that I change very rarely, it is more an average of if I have a good value during the night.
To test I would skip breakfast, possibly cover with a bolus for dawn effect and then see what happens between 12 and 16, without eating anything.