So confused

Hotpepper20000

Yeah I got it, finally but I’m still not 100% sure what I’m doing with it yet.
So if you test before your first bite. Thencheck two hours after. You know a food is ok to eat of the rise is less then two.
If it’s more then 2 look at the quantity or what it was. Best to keep a diary. That way you can see patterns.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey!
Yeah I’m good thanks and how are you?
I have been attempting the bread again, success this time, I didn’t use as much water and it seemed to have done the trick, fingers crossed it doesn’t fall flat during the night lol
Aww that fine, thanks for letting me know, I will defo be avoiding it. Are we allowed beetroot?
Sorry for all the questions, just still a bit unsure. But I have been using a ton of bacon lol

Yeah, am doing fine. Was a bit busy today, railroad workers were on strike and it took me two and half hours to get to work. Home now and enjoying it.

Don't worry about asking questions. This is what we are here for -- there was a time when most of us didn't know much either and had to ask questions.

Super that the bread worked out this time. I think this will help a lot during the first few days when you are still trying to figure out things.

Btw, I looked up carbohydrates for red beets and they seem to range somewhere from 6g to 10g per 100g -- so it's probably fine. Quantity is always a consideration though. If have a large serving, these carbs can add up. I once made a quiche (you can do crustless) with red beets, camenbert and sage -- tasted great and my blood sugars were fine with it.

If you are looking for root vegetables in general and you like celeriac, this is probably a better option with somewhere from 2g to 4g per 100g.

By the way great that your meter arrived. If you measure right before eating and than two hours after your first bite, it gives you an idea of how your body deals with the food. The general rule is that a rise of 2 mmol or less is okay. If your rise is higher, but not too much, you might try a smaller quantity of the same food.

Congrats again on the successful endeavor making bread.

Edited to add: @Hotpepper2000 -- you beat me by two minutes. Naturally, I second your advice.

Deborah 85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can we have honey?
Hi Deborah,
Panic ye not, you are in safe hands now, for just by joining up here, you have opened a wealth of knowledge and help, I too am recently diagnosed, and like you I wondered what I was going to eat, how to cope, although I am an old and cranky guy, with a lot of attitude that says- hey ho, here we we go, something else to deal with, it is still life changing, and the media have not helped with their over the top reporting.
It is daunting for you but not uncontrollable, and yes it is for life and no you are not too blame, our bodies do sneak up and bite us when we least expect it, listen to what the more experienced say on here, you can control this thing and live a good long everyday useful and productive life, the trick is to accept that it is what it is, and find out what to do to keep the the darn thing in its kennel so to speak, read and learn, take your time, think through your actions, and learn and be happy once more.
im a bit worried this morning, I wear glasses and when I put them on everything was blurred, when I took them off I could see fine, I wear contacts during the day and this morning, and again everything is blurry when I’m wearing them, I’m a little bit scared that there is an issues with my eyes

M

Member496333

It’s not uncommon to experience anomalies in visual acuity as glucose levels change during diabetes treatment/recovery. I wouldn’t panic just yet :)

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
im a bit worried this morning, I wear glasses and when I put them on everything was blurred, when I took them off I could see fine, I wear contacts during the day and this morning, and again everything is blurry when I’m wearing them, I’m a little bit scared that there is an issues with my eyes

Hi @Deborah 85,

This is very probably due to your blood sugars coming down. So, it is a sign of good thing.

Your vision will get back to normal after a time, so as @Jim Lahey said, don't panic.

Deborah 85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Deborah 85,

This is very probably due to your blood sugars coming down. So, it is a sign of good thing.

Your vision will get back to normal after a time, so as @Jim Lahey said, don't panic.
I ran out of strips for my meter so I’ve not checked my levels since yesterday morning, and it’s come down by 7, so I’m assuming that’s what’s causing it, I still can’t see properly when I’m writing or reading but Im confident it will get better, thanks so much for the good advice.

Reactions: ziggy_w

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Deborah. Sounds to me you are doing great. Love your cats...are they siblings?

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I ran out of strips for my meter so I’ve not checked my levels since yesterday morning, and it’s come down by 7, so I’m assuming that’s what’s causing it, I still can’t see properly when I’m writing or reading but Im confident it will get better, thanks so much for the good advice.

Hi @Deborah 85,

Maybe it will help if you get some cheapo reading glasses as your eyes adjust to the lower levels. You'll probably only need them for a couple of weeks, if not less.

Btw, really well done on the lowering of blood glucose levels. Great achievement.

Deborah 85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Deborah. Sounds to me you are doing great. Love your cats...are they siblings?
Thank you very much... I have been having some wobbles this week but they folks on here have been absolutely amazing . I wish they were siblings as they would probably get on better lol,
They are 10 years in age apart.

Deborah 85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Deborah 85,

Maybe it will help if you get some cheapo reading glasses as your eyes adjust to the lower levels. You'll probably only need them for a couple of weeks, if not less.

Btw, really well done on the lowering of blood glucose levels. Great achievement.
Ooh do you think the glasses with work? Will this pass soon? I was concerned it would last for months.
Aww thank you, I hope it will last, don’t have the docs till next week so fingers crossed,
Hope you had a good day

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ooh do you think the glasses with work? Will this pass soon? I was concerned it would last for months.
Aww thank you, I hope it will last, don’t have the docs till next week so fingers crossed,
Hope you had a good day

Hi @Deborah 85,

How are you today?

Sorry for not getting back earlier.

As to the reading glasses -- I was thinking about reading glasses in the range of GBP 5 -- just to tie you over till your vsion normalizes as you wrote that you had trouble reading the screen. I'm thinking that it might take a couple of weeks for your vision to return to normal, but don't really know exactly.

How is your baking coming along?

Deborah 85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Deborah 85,

How are you today?

Sorry for not getting back earlier.

As to the reading glasses -- I was thinking about reading glasses in the range of GBP 5 -- just to tie you over till your vsion normalizes as you wrote that you had trouble reading the screen. I'm thinking that it might take a couple of weeks for your vision to return to normal, but don't really know exactly.

How is your baking coming along?
Hey!

Sorry I’ve just been a wee bit bummed out the past few days. I’m feeling really embarrassed about telling people I have diabetes . I just can’t deal with peoples sympathy looks and feel like they will be thinking thats a shame that she got so heavy that she got a disease from it, I’m just struggling to be honest.
My baking is on the back burner so to speak as did not work out at all lol

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Deborah 85,

It's a real bummer being first diagnosed. I remember well.

But please, please don't blame yourself for becoming diabetic. It's not your fault.

For T2s, there is something wrong with our metabolisms, which becomes apparent maybe even 10 or 15 years before showing up in our blood sugar levels -- if they bothered to look for it. The gist of it is that our bodies don't respond to insulin properly and thus we overproduce insulin to compensate. The insulin then does two things: First, it stores all energy from food (especially carbohydrates), which we don't need immediately, as fat and second it prevents us from using our stored fat energy for energy. In normal people, there are phases when insulin is low and stored fat is burned for energy -- for us, however, this never happens, insulin is always high, so we just keep gaining. Thus, our weight gain is a symptom of a broken metabolism, not necessarily the cause of it.

This might not necessarily help you with how people react (also due to how the media present T2s), but maybe it helps you personally if you know you did not bring this on yourself.

This is probably a worn sentiment -- but it will get better with time (trust me, I've been through it).

Last edited:

Deborah 85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Deborah 85,

It's a real bummer being first diagnosed. I remember well.

But please, please don't blame yourself for becoming diabetic. It's not your fault.

For T2s, there is something wrong with our metabolisms, which becomes appearant maybe even 10 or 15 years before showing up in our blood sugar levels -- if they bothered to look for it. The gist of it is that our bodies don't respond to insulin properly and thus we overproduce insulin to compensate. The insulin then does two things: First, it stores all energy from food (especially carbohydrates), which we don't need immediately, as fat and second it prevents us from using our stored fat energy for energy. In normal people, there are phases when insulin is low and stored fat is burned for energy -- for us, however, this never happens, insulin is always high, so we just keep gaining. Thus, our weight gain is a symptom of a broken metabolism, not necessarily the cause of it.

This might not necessarily help you with how people react (also due to how the media present T2s), but maybe it helps you personally if you know you did not bring this on yourself.

This is probably a worn sentiment -- but it will get better with time (trust me, I've been through it).
Thank you for your lovely message.
I have good days and bad days were I have accepted it but the bad days like last week are horrible.
I need to go to the opticians as my eye sight is very different to my glasses now and I’m scared it’s going to stay this way but I’m embarrassed about having to go see them and tell them why I need new glasses.

But I have hope and as you say I know it will get better, just have to take each day as it comes.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't throw out your current glasses. Get cheap frames for your new prescription. You may n ed to go back to your old glasses once your blood glucose has settled down.