Newcastle Diet And Insulin

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, I been posting on another thread and it was suggested I start a new thread for this question. I was wondering if anyone who has been prescribed insulin has done the Newcastle diet, and if so, how have you managed your insulin?

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
So, just wanted to do an update. I've started the Newcastle diet this week and got a months supply of shakes from Exante, I have to say so far they are rather nice. My practice nurse is supporting me but is wary of reducing my insulin and seems to think I will have to stay on it, not so sure myself. She has reduced it by 12 units in the morning and 17 units in the evening but asked me to take 10 units at lunchtime. I've already had to miss this out as my bm has come right down and stayed within 5 - 8. I've also stopped one of my evening tablets on her advice. I was amazed to find my fasting bm this morning was 7.5 which is the first time ever! Even when I was more stable and rigorous with diet etc I struggled to get below 9! I am feeling please though its just the start of my new regime, I am sick of food so its nice to have a break and not have to think about it. Will post another update soon

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, just wanted to do an update. I've started the Newcastle diet this week and got a months supply of shakes from Exante, I have to say so far they are rather nice. My practice nurse is supporting me but is wary of reducing my insulin and seems to think I will have to stay on it, not so sure myself. She has reduced it by 12 units in the morning and 17 units in the evening but asked me to take 10 units at lunchtime. I've already had to miss this out as my bm has come right down and stayed within 5 - 8. I've also stopped one of my evening tablets on her advice. I was amazed to find my fasting bm this morning was 7.5 which is the first time ever! Even when I was more stable and rigorous with diet etc I struggled to get below 9! I am feeling please though its just the start of my new regime, I am sick of food so its nice to have a break and not have to think about it. Will post another update soon

Sounds like fantastic progress, but as you are already finding, the Newcastle Diet isn't something to do on auto-pilot, if you are taking some of the meds you are.

Please do ensure you keep testing, even if/when things look like they're in a consistent place. I didn't do the ND, but at the outset of my own journey, I found that as I went along my blood sugar numbers would notch down, rather than have a steady downward slide. In other words, my blood glucose score would be x-y for several days of weeks, the for no immediately apparent reason, would notch down a couple of points to a new range.

On your medication, you obviously must make your personal safety, and that of others your paramount concern.

Well done!

Reactions: pavlovsdog

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like fantastic progress, but as you are already finding, the Newcastle Diet isn't something to do on auto-pilot, if you are taking some of the meds you are.

Please do ensure you keep testing, even if/when things look like they're in a consistent place. I didn't do the ND, but at the outset of my own journey, I found that as I went along my blood sugar numbers would notch down, rather than have a steady downward slide. In other words, my blood glucose score would be x-y for several days of weeks, the for no immediately apparent reason, would notch down a couple of points to a new range.

On your medication, you obviously must make your personal safety, and that of others your paramount concern.

Well done!

Thanks for the encouragement, I am testing myself so often my fingers are getting sore, lol! This is just the start, maintaining it is going to be the real challenge. However, I feel pretty positive atm and have a renewed enthusiasm for addressing my diabetes which, I must confess, has been lacking for the last year or so. I think we all get 'diabetic fatigue' from time to time. I'm finding not having to think about food quite liberating which is an added bonus!

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If you can afford it, I expect you would benifit from a FreeStyle Libre over the next few weeks, and for the first few weeks when you transition onto real food.

Also there is no real harm with BG being close to 10 for a few weeks, hence it can be better to reduce insulin more then is needed, rather then getting low BG. (Professor Roy Taylor seems to be very relexed about people having high BG for, the first few weeks of the diet, as it allows most drugs to be stopped on the first day, hence reducing workload for GPs)

Last edited:

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
If you can afford it, I expect you would benifit from a FreeStyle Libre over the next few weeks, and for the first few weeks when you transition onto real food.

Also there is no real harm with BG being close to 10 for a few weeks, hence it can be better to reduce insulin more then is needed, rather then getting low BG. (Professor Roy Taylor seems to be very relexed about people having high BG for, the first few weeks of the diet, as it allows most drugs to be stopped on the first day, hence reducing workload for GPs)

I used to have a freestyle libre but my GP wouldn't prescribe the test strips etc. I have been prescribed Gluco Rx nexus because its cheaper ☹️. My bg was a bit up and down yesterday but seems to be settling down today, so fingers crossed!

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It does not cost that much for you to pay for one yourself for a few weeks, consider it to be a leaning tool, not something you need all the time.

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just wanted to do another update as my first week on ND is nearly over. I have been surprised at how quickly it has worked as I am now on 1/3 of the dose of insulin than at the start of the week.
On 2 days I included steamed veg although I really wanted to just stick to 600 cals, but as my bg was dropping rapidly I decided to increase my intake to avoid hypos. I must admit, despite not being a great veg lover, I enjoyed the steamed veg! I did cave in on Thurs and had some cheese and crackers as I just wanted the feeling of something solid in my stomach, and couldn't shake the hunger off. My bg is currently averaging between 5-7.3. I am checking before and after meals and before bed. My sister thinks I have already lost weight and she didn't know I was on the diet so I'm looking forward to getting weighed when my nurse gets back from her hols. Other things I have noticed is that I have slept better this week and also still feeling quite liberated by not having to worry about food. I noticed I have a lot more time on my hands so I am trying to keep busy and setting myself little goals - I spent yesterday pruning my lavender bush and other bits and pieces in the garden, I have also been reading more which is grreat. That's it so far, I will post again in a week or so

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just wanted to add another update. I am now off insulin altogether after having to reduce it to 1/3 of my usual dosage by the end of the first week. My bgs have all been under 7 which is great, and remain stable. I have eaten on occasions; I had the steamed veg which is allowed a couple of times, but also went out for a meal on Saturday which had been planned for months. I had steak which was the best I've ever tasted, yum! I have struggled with hunger and needing to have something solid in my tum so I had food yesterday. However, I'm not going to get annoyed with myself about it, it needed to be done and I'm back on the wagon today.
I think I have lost weight as my clothes are baggier, but I haven't been able to see my nurse to get weighed as she is off after breaking her shoulder. She's not going to be happy about me not taking insulin but I must admit I feel a whole lot better without it - makes you wonder about medication really. Anyway, that's all for now and Ill post again with another update

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow! You are doing so well! As long as your BGs stay in range I don't see how the nurse can complain and if your aren't needing insulin then you will have less problems with potential hypos.

I'm glad you are felling better. Your post has made my day!:)

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow! You are doing so well! As long as your BGs stay in range I don't see how the nurse can complain and if your aren't needing insulin then you will have less problems with potential hypos.

I'm glad you are felling better. Your post has made my day!:)

Thanks so much, its nice to get encouragement! I've got a long way to go yet but I'm feeling positive

Reactions: zand

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Before you tell your nurce about stopping inslin, show her your BG graph, presented in a nice way.

I will certainly do that, she is supportive, even if its just to get my weight down, so I think she'll be interested in my progress, not to say rather surprised

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, just wanted to update on my progress. I've been doing the Newcastle diet for three months now, although to be perfectly honest, I haven't stuck to it religiously. However, I got weighed on Wednesday and have lost just over 3 stone. I knew I had lost quite a bit as I've gone down a clothes size, but it was nice to have it confirmed and good to see the little figure shrink on the nurses computer! I've still got a long way to go but I am going to have a little break as it is the festive season, and try to follow it strictly after Christmas.
The other thing I have noticed is that it has changed the way I think about food. Being on insulin you become obsessed with what to eat when to eat, avoiding hypos, and in my case panic eating whenever I felt unwell. Its been so nice to not have to think about food, and I am feeling a bit more in control of what I'm eating and able to make choices.

Last edited:

Roytaylorjasonfunglover

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi all, just wanted to update on my progress. I've been doing the Newcastle diet for three months now, although to be perfectly honest, I haven't stuck to it religiously. However, I got weighed on Wednesday and have lost just over 3 stone. I knew I had lost quite a bit as I've gone down a clothes size, but it was nice to have it confirmed and good to see the little figure shrink on the nurses computer! I've still got a long way to go but I am going to have a little break as it is the festive season, and try to follow it strictly after Christmas.
The other thing I have noticed is that it has changed the way I think about food. Being on insulin you become obsessed with what to eat when to eat, avoiding hypos, and in my case panic eating whenever I felt unwell. Its been so nice to not have to think about food, and I am feeling a bit more in control of what I'm eating and able to make choices.

Incredible, I have showed this thread to my mother who was diagnosed a year ago, your tale is very inspiring. Good luck on the future and keep us updated.

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Incredible, I have showed this thread to my mother who was diagnosed a year ago, your tale is very inspiring. Good luck on the future and keep us updated.

Thanks so much for the positive feedback! I won't lie, it has been hard going and a struggle at times, but worth it in the long run. I hope your mother finds something that suits her.
Best wishes,
Pav

Rose88

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Thats Brilliant news!

Its very inspiring to hear that as a type 2 on insulin, you've come off the injections and lost weight. Well Done.