Low carb and Statins

richf

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
rainy days
Just over a year ago I went on to the LCHF diet and lost about 2.5 stone.
At a recent medical review I was told my sugar and BP were fine but because of my age I should go on Statins. I have put on a little weight and thought I would revisit the LCHF diet. I have been on the LCHF for just over 2 weeks but have not lost any weight at all. Do Statins upset the workings of this diet? any comments or advice appreciated.

Reactions: Roulis and dbr10

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just over a year ago I went on to the LCHF diet and lost about 2.5 stone.
At a recent medical review I was told my sugar and BP were fine but because of my age I should go on Statins. I have put on a little weight and thought I would revisit the LCHF diet. I have been on the LCHF for just over 2 weeks but have not lost any weight at all. Do Statins upset the workings of this diet? any comments or advice appreciated.

Hi there,
Have they said to go on statins SIMPLY because of your age?, can you give us further details, ie what are your cholesterol figures, you will find (quite soon) an avalanche of opinions coming your way and I know it helps people to have the information as stated.

richf

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
rainy days
I am 74 next week, still working 3 days a week generally on site as a land surveyor.
I had a telephone review and as a result my blood was tested for glucose levels and thyroxine but from what I remember my cholestrol wasn't tested. Another telephone review for the results and was told I was not diabetic, but glucose impaired. However it was then suggested I take the statins because of age etc. The telephone reviews aren't very satisfactory when you are working on site, probably have an audience and then try and ask the right questions.
Upon reflection, probably my best bet is to make a face to face appointment if I can get one and ask the GP, but from previous experience I think some of them do not have the knowledge and experience of LCHF. Thanks for the reply.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I can feel the rage welling up inside just thinking about the idea of someone being prescribed statins just because of an arbitrary age. Surely this doesn’t happen...does it??

That's what my GP said to me, that diabetics over 50 should go on statins (very low dose) as a preventative against cardio issues....

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m 44 and the last three visits I’ve had a A1C below 40. Twice my doctor recommended statins for heart protection. So it’s not just age related.
And I’m Canada.

Hi hotpepper, don't know if it's the same in Canada but over here it's age, along with certain conditions (ie diabetes) and who knows what else! It's getting to the stage where everybody over 50 (at risk or not) will automatically be offered statins just in case! If you don't mind telling us, do you actually have a heart issue or is this another just in case? I can certainly understand a calculated risk but quite often it seems to be generic.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Hotpepper20000 statins are a a touchy subject on this site, so you wont find a balanced opinion on their use. Regarding your question of statins interfering with a LCHF diet; no they won't.

Reactions: Roulis and jpscloud

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Hotpepper20000 statins are a a touchy subject on this site, so you wont find a balanced opinion on their use. Regarding your question of statins interfering with a LCHF diet; no they won't.

Hi Sam, I definitely agree with that, I would go further though and say you won't find a balanced opinion in the entire world! I have read an abundance of opinions, on this site and off it, via Professionals and non Professionals, by reading papers for it and against it, my own GP (who has diabetes) offers statins whilst pulling a face, my Consultant says take them...and on and on and on.

Reactions: Roulis and jpscloud

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Sam, I definitely agree with that, I would go further though and say you won't find a balanced opinion in the entire world! I have read an abundance of opinions, on this site and off it, via Professionals and non Professionals, by reading papers for it and against it, my own GP (who has diabetes) offers statins whilst pulling a face, my Consultant says take them...and on and on and on.
I couldn't agree with you more! My opinion exactly!

Reactions: KK123

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Upon reflection, probably my best bet is to make a face to face appointment if I can get one and ask the GP, but from previous experience I think some of them do not have the knowledge and experience of LCHF.

What you could do with is a print out of your last lot of blood tests. You are entitled to this. It will show which tests you had, the results, and the standard ranges. Statins are cholesterol lowering drugs, so you need to know what your cholesterol and the breakdown of the cholesterol is. (Total, HDL, LDL and triglycerides) If your cholesterol does not need lowering, you can then ask your GP why he wants you on statins. It wil also show what your blood glucose situation is. As it seems you are glucose impaired (another term for pre-diabetic) you need to know what the actual level was - there is a big range for pre-diabetes. Were you near the good end of the range, or the not so good end? A print out will tell you.

Statins won't affect LCHF and vice versa. However, statins are known to increase blood sugar levels so you need to be aware of this.

richf

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
rainy days
What you could do with is a print out of your last lot of blood tests. You are entitled to this. It will show which tests you had, the results, and the standard ranges. Statins are cholesterol lowering drugs, so you need to know what your cholesterol and the breakdown of the cholesterol is. (Total, HDL, LDL and triglycerides) If your cholesterol does not need lowering, you can then ask your GP why he wants you on statins. It wil also show what your blood glucose situation is. As it seems you are glucose impaired (another term for pre-diabetic) you need to know what the actual level was - there is a big range for pre-diabetes. Were you near the good end of the range, or the not so good end? A print out will tell you.

Statins won't affect LCHF and vice versa. However, statins are known to increase blood sugar levels so you need to be aware of this.
Bluetit1802, that's interesting. I am off on Monday so I will present myself at the GP'S and request the information. Hopefully I will be able to post the results here for comments and advice.

I appreciate the other comments too, it has prompted me to take more responsibility for my health and try to understand what is going on.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Bluetit1802, that's interesting. I am off on Monday so I will present myself at the GP'S and request the information. Hopefully I will be able to post the results here for comments and advice.

I appreciate the other comments too, it has prompted me to take more responsibility for my health and try to understand what is going on.

I should add that GPs use what is known as the Q-Risk calculation of your risk of a CVD event in the next 10 years compared to everyone else who has the same criteria as yourself. If your risk is above 10% they will push statins on you. However, according this Q-Risk, our risks increase every birthday. It is impossible to be under 10% once we reach a certain age. I believe that GPs are still using an old version of this formula. Here is the old version and also the later version. Have a play with it. It is very worrying because it is a one size fits all scenario and in my opinion, complete rubbish..

https://qrisk.org/2017/

https://qrisk.org/three/ (the latest one)

Reactions: Roulis

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I should add that GPs use what is known as the Q-Risk calculation of your risk of a CVD event in the next 10 years compared to everyone else who has the same criteria as yourself. If your risk is above 10% they will push statins on you. However, according this Q-Risk, our risks increase every birthday. It is impossible to be under 10% once we reach a certain age. I believe that GPs are still using an old version of this formula. Here is the old version and also the later version. Have a play with it. It is very worrying because it is a one size fits all scenario and in my opinion, complete rubbish..

https://qrisk.org/2017/

https://qrisk.org/three/ (the latest one)

...and takes no account of whether your diabetes is well controlled or not.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Here in the US, my brother was dx with Metabolic Syndrome while in his 40's. His blood was so thick (from sugar he says) that they couldn't get a reading for triglycerides :wideyed:. To the best of my recollection, he went on statins for a period until they could get a triglyceride reading that was more or less satisfactory, and then went off them. He's a pilot for a major international airline, and is not allowed to take many drugs. He manages his now-pre-diabetes very well with diet and exercise (he's a runner). So that is his experience. I myself have a visit with my cardiologist in January, and she'll have learned my last a1c of 6.5 American, which is "diabetic" if you get it again. We shall see what she says! I am terrified of the side-effects of statins, becuase my muscles already hurt!!!! And I already take miltiple rx meds.I'm 67 and may live another 25 years even without statins, so there too!:p

Reactions: Roulis and richf

richf

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
rainy days
Thanks for posting the Q Risk calculators. Hopefully when I get a print out of my results I can have a play around with it and see what comes up, but from what I have read here and other areas I think my opinion will be similar to those sated above.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for posting the Q Risk calculators. Hopefully when I get a print out of my results I can have a play around with it and see what comes up, but from what I have read here and other areas I think my opinion will be similar to those sated above.

One of the questions on the Q-Risk is about smoking. What I found interesting is if you tick "non smoker" and "T2 diabetic" the risk is greater than if you tick you are a smoker but are not diabetic. Take diabetic out of it completely, and at least in my case, my risk halves.

Reactions: Roulis

torchman2

Firstly, cholesterol has a protective effect in the presence of stressors, and is the start of an incredibly important pathway. Arbitrarily forcing it to drop is unlikely to have good consequences. Pregnenolone, progesterone, DHEA, testosterone, DHT, are all highly protective.

steroid-pathway_2_orig.jpg

SECOND, there is evidence to show that high cholesterol is protective against heart deaths:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20470020
"Conclusions. Participants with low serum total cholesterol seem to have a lower survival rate than participants with an elevated cholesterol level, irrespective of concomitant diseases or health status."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15066061
"Increases in cholesterol over time have beneficial associations in some older adults.
The role of cholesterol changes in the health of older individuals needs further exploration."

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/bad-cholesterol-may-have-bad-rap#2
"researchers discovered people with low levels of LDL cholesterol, or LDL-C, had the highest rates of death related to cardiovascular disease, the leading cause of death for both men and women in the United States."

richf

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
rainy days
Hi Torchman2, appreciate your reply. Interesting and certainly food for thought.