Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Testing gives me peace of mind and I'm a worrier, too. Infection/illness of any kind can raise blood glucose levels and these raised levels can, indeed, affect mood. I would advise that you prioritise your health, ask for help and delegate!

My condolences on your loss, it's such a sad time for you I'm sure. I say again, make your well being your priority otherwise you will struggle for longer. Best wishes for Christmas and get well soon.

lotuslight

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you both I agree , I don’t know why doctors are so keen for me not to.
Thanks

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thank you both I agree , I don’t know why doctors are so keen for me not to.
Thanks

Basically it is down to cost and to what they have been taught.
Some people can be stressed out by testing but without doing regular readings we are flying blind especially where food is concerned. When I have been ill and my levels go up I do not become anxious about it because this is a normal reaction but without a glucometer how on earth would I know that levels are rising to uncomfortable levels (for me as an individual)? A glucometer is the best tool we can have in aiding us to better management of our condition.
All you can do is try it, if it doesn't suit you there is no one who can hold you down and force you to continue with it. It is your choice.

lotuslight

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I agree thank you but can I just ask say if they were or are what would you do as a solution to try lower them?
Walk? Eat healthier etc ?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yes I agree thank you but can I just ask say if they were or are what would you do as a solution to try lower them?

I'm a wheelchair user so no amount of excercise is relevant to me. What I can do, as a T2 not on insulin, is to manage my carb intake, eat twice a day without snacks in an effort to keep insulin low and as infrequent as possible thereby possibly prolonging beta cell life/efficiency, avoid stress (Hah!) and keep an eye on levels with a box standard meter.

Edited for clarity.

Reactions: kitedoc and jjraak

lotuslight

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks so much for the help and information:)! I have literally just been and bought one!

Eeck

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel really overwhelmed and all my usual destress methods E.g. walking , meditation, etc nothing is working.

I am so angry and I know it’s completely unreasonable and I can’t seem to control it.

I just want to cry.

I did lose a family member last week also.

Does anyone have any advice please?

Thank you

Be kind to yourself, and if being overwhelmed means telling others that's how you're feeling, and asking for patience/help, so be it.
Your anger is NOT unreasonable in the event of losing a family member. This may be bringing up reactions you'd never have imagined !
Christmas can be the best of times. It can also be the worst of times. If posting on this forum gets you through it, go for it !
Condolences
Geoff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

All of the above.

You don't have to walk far to lower your blood sugar although that shouldn't be used as an excuse to just go to the front gate and back.

lotuslight

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All of the above.

You don't have to walk far to lower your blood sugar although that shouldn't be used as an excuse to just go to the front gate and back.

Speaking from experience I see , thanks for the feedback