Peperami...

Sanste

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Is this a truly T2 diabetics dream come true??? As close zero carbs as you can get??!! Please say it's true!!!

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
In Canada it's pepperoni but I believe its the same thing. I buy it all the time, 1 gram carb per large stick.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
2.2g per 100g but still not bad at all.. pork scratchings are more a dream come true.. the ones I get are 0.6g per 100g.

tantalus

In Canada it's pepperoni but I believe its the same thing. I buy it all the time, 1 gram carb per large stick.

Peperami is not exactly pepperoni. It is a brand name in UK and Europe for a pork salami/pepperoni-style snack - essentially a meat stick.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Other small salamis are available and probably taste better but Peperami have a very useful feature in that they are individually packed and don't need refrigeration, so I often take them on trips as a low carb snack.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I like the spicy Pepperami. I haven't bought any for a while. I'll look out for when they are 'on offer'.

Reactions: jjraak

Nexus6

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Personally I also look for versions of "processed" or cured meats that have as few ingredients/chemicals as possible. Products vary greatly. I love cured meats, but I do truly believe that as low carb as many of them are, the processing/curing does make their health impact a little concerning. I try to keep them to "snack" duty and as a treat as opposed to a regular item.

tantalus

Despite the scary sounding chemicals, there is nothing there that would bother me. Both Disodium Inosinate and Disodium Guanylate are produced from animal or fish sources; MSG we know about and Sodium Nitrate is a preservative as old as the hills.

Reactions: Prem51

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Coincidentally, just saw this today.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Coincidentally, just saw this today.

I believe from my schooldays chemistry lessons that Nitrates are key components in fertilizers and explosives, and it is nitrites and nitriles that are used to preserve processed meats and fish. I think drinking paraquat which is a nitrate fertilizer has somewhat of an end-of-life effect.

However nitrates also find use in quaaludes, that well known hippie pick-me-up/ aphrodisiac and heart medicine.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I believe from my schooldays chemistry lessons that Nitrates are key components in fertilizers and explosives, and it is nitrites and nitriles that are used to preserve processed meats and fish. I think drinking paraquat which is a nitrate fertilizer has somewhat of an end-of-life effect.

However nitrates also find use in quaaludes, that well known hippie pick-me-up/ aphrodisiac and heart medicine.

I remember Paraquat, the 'housewives favourite'.