Feeling guilty and I’ve let myself down..

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
Fell off the wagon last night by having a takeaway.

I know I shouldn’t but time was tight, I was hungry and ..well, now I’m regretting it.

I’m pretty narked. I’m annoyed because I don’t really know what I’m doing. I’m annoyed because, despite having the same diet for years, my blood sugar went sky high, I’m annoyed that I don’t know why it happened so feel out of control and I’m annoyed that I can’t keep my stress and anxiety under control.

I feel so guilty.

I’m Autistic, have fibromyalgia, had two strokes, have an anxiety disorder, dysthymia and Anhedonia...and I’m diabetic..

Happy days!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is sooo easy to fall of the wagon.
You have my every sympathy!

But please don't feel guilty.
Take all that guilt and dump it.
Then just look at the next thing you are going to eat, and make sure it is on plan.
One step at a time.

Easy to say, I know. Less easy to do.

And you most certainly are not alone. Lots of people struggling at the moment, due to Xmas excesses and holiday eating patterns. Takes a while to get back on track...

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I know I shouldn’t but time was tight, I was hungry and ..well, now I’m regretting it.

I’m pretty narked. I’m annoyed because I don’t really know what I’m doing. I’m annoyed because, despite having the same diet for years, my blood sugar went sky high, I’m annoyed that I don’t know why it happened so feel out of control and I’m annoyed that I can’t keep my stress and anxiety under control.

I feel so guilty.

I’m Autistic, have fibromyalgia, had two strokes, have an anxiety disorder, dysthymia and Anhedonia...and I’m diabetic..

Happy days!
It was ONE take-away. Your levels will go back down and you can start over. I ate the same things for years and my insulin resistance got gradually worse until I was diabetic, so considering this is a progressive condition unless it's stopped in its tracks with radical dietary changes or meds are varied upon, it's not exactly surprising something was altered over time. Your diet didn't change, but your metabolism did. So time to change the diet with it, far as you're capable within the constrictions the autism places on your foods.

Guilt isn't going to help. It'll just make anxiety and stress worse, so for your own sake, shrug it off. Just see it as extra motivation to take a new direction, not a stick to beat yourself with!

If you're in the same spot again, well, I dunno what you can and can't eat, but burgers or anything meaty with all the good stuff (extra bacon, extra lettuce etc), but without the bun could do the trick, without spiking your bloodsugars. I've been having that at various Burger Kings and McD's, and no-one's made a problem of making me something bunless so far. They just sometimes forget I need cutlery, but that's solved quick enough.;) (I can't eat the salads anymore since they started putting corn and really sweet dressing in, here in the Netherlands. But the burgers are fine! And juicy!). It's quick and easy, and low carb.

We all topple off the wagon at one point or another. Key is getting straight back on! ;)

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I jumped off the wagon yesterday into a Thai lunch. I was hungry like you. I enjoyed it so I really can't regret it.
The way I look at it is, you can't change the past but you can make today a new day full of good choices so there's no need to feel guilty. We're humans after all.
Good luck;)

Reactions: Patrick66

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It is sooo easy to fall of the wagon.
You have my every sympathy!

But please don't feel guilty.
Take all that guilt and dump it.
Then just look at the next thing you are going to eat, and make sure it is on plan.
One step at a time.

Easy to say, I know. Less easy to do.

And you most certainly are not alone. Lots of people struggling at the moment, due to Xmas excesses and holiday eating patterns. Takes a while to get back on track...
I know.

Thank you

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It was ONE take-away. Your levels will go back down and you can start over. I ate the same things for years and my insulin resistance got gradually worse until I was diabetic, so considering this is a progressive condition unless it's stopped in its tracks with radical dietary changes or meds are varied upon, it's not exactly surprising something was altered over time. Your diet didn't change, but your metabolism did. So time to change the diet with it, far as you're capable within the constrictions the autism places on your foods.

Guilt isn't going to help. It'll just make anxiety and stress worse, so for your own sake, shrug it off. Just see it as extra motivation to take a new direction, not a stick to beat yourself with!

If you're in the same spot again, well, I dunno what you can and can't eat, but burgers or anything meaty with all the good stuff (extra bacon, extra lettuce etc), but without the bun could do the trick, without spiking your bloodsugars. I've been having that at various Burger Kings and McD's, and no-one's made a problem of making me something bunless so far. They just sometimes forget I need cutlery, but that's solved quick enough.;) (I can't eat the salads anymore since they started putting corn and really sweet dressing in, here in the Netherlands. But the burgers are fine! And juicy!). It's quick and easy, and low carb.

We all topple off the wagon at one point or another. Key is getting straight back on! ;)
Thank you for your kind words.

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I jumped off the wagon yesterday into a Thai lunch. I was hungry like you. I enjoyed it so I really can't regret it.
The way I look at it is, you can't change the past but you can make today a new day full of good choices so there's no need to feel guilty. We're humans after all.
Good luck;)
Yes we are human.

I’d just finished work and the prospect of actually making something overwhelmed me.

But it was just one takeaway and I’ll know next time to have stuff prepared in advance.

Thank you.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Take the feelings of guilt out of the equation. I had one roast potato, one Yorkshire pud, and low carb bread stuffing on my Christmas dinner. Did I feel guilty? Nope. I planned on having that because I thought to myself, "this is once a year and I am going to enjoy it" Oh I had one mince pie also. I eat very low carb all year round so one meal is not going to make any difference. I think that going down the guilty road suggests that you have done something really bad and can make the relationship with food intolerable and cause all sorts of stress. You say that you have Autism, well this could heighten your way of thinking regarding your takeaway. Today is a new day and the year is new, put the takeaway behind you. You have done no damage with just one meal.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
hi Patrick,
It was one time, most of us will have done something similar. Try to forgive yourself for being human, none of us are perfect and move on. You might consider looking at the carbs and cals book for a better choice in case you get in the same situation at some time in the future.
All the best for a healthier 2019
Liz

Reactions: Patrick66

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Patrick,
I'm sorry this happened to you, please don't feel guilty. You'll get back on track very soon.
I have fibromyalgia to,
Hope you feel better soon.
We all have bad days
Take care

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Yes we are human.

I’d just finished work and the prospect of actually making something overwhelmed me.

But it was just one takeaway and I’ll know next time to have stuff prepared in advance.

Thank you.
Brilliant, time management sucks sometimes but it's better than sucking on soggy chips:)

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers

That's not falling off the wagon, it's looking over the edge and realising that you don't want to go any further. Whatever the takeaway only your BG will show what the effect is. That was all yesterday, carry on as usual today.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I feel so guilty.

Happy days!
What did you have? Most take always can be made lower carb by choosing the right things..

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why is it referred to as "falling off the wagon" ?

I don't consider a Low Carb lifestyle the same as travelling on a wagon.

More like being chauffeured in the backseat of a Bentley Mulsanne.

Travelling on a wagon best describes how **** I felt when I was still eating all that carbohydrate garbage.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Take the feelings of guilt out of the equation. I had one roast potato, one Yorkshire pud, and low carb bread stuffing on my Christmas dinner. Did I feel guilty? Nope. I planned on having that because I thought to myself, "this is once a year and I am going to enjoy it" Oh I had one mince pie also. I eat very low carb all year round so one meal is not going to make any difference. I think that going down the guilty road suggests that you have done something really bad and can make the relationship with food intolerable and cause all sorts of stress. You say that you have Autism, well this could heighten your way of thinking regarding your takeaway. Today is a new day and the year is new, put the takeaway behind you. You have done no damage with just one meal.
Thank you.

Being Autistic gives me @ different perspective. I feel guilty about something 90% of the time.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
hi Patrick,
It was one time, most of us will have done something similar. Try to forgive yourself for being human, none of us are perfect and move on. You might consider looking at the carbs and cals book for a better choice in case you get in the same situation at some time in the future.
All the best for a healthier 2019
Liz
Thank you very much

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
That's not falling off the wagon, it's looking over the edge and realising that you don't want to go any further. Whatever the takeaway only your BG will show what the effect is. That was all yesterday, carry on as usual today.
True.

I just think I am a bit stuck in the depression - eat to cheer myself up - feel guilty - depression - eat...and so it goes

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
What did you have? Most take always can be made lower carb by choosing the right things..
Salt and Pepper Chicken and 6 chips. Yes I counted the chips. Thankfully they weren’t the best so I stopped at 6.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Why is it referred to as "falling off the wagon" ?

I don't consider a Low Carb lifestyle the same as travelling on a wagon.

More like being chauffeured in the backseat of a Bentley Mulsanne.

Travelling on a wagon best describes how **** I felt when I was still eating all that carbohydrate garbage.
Well..

I do have balance issues; fall into walls, walk into doors etc..so, if I was on a wagon there’s a very good chance I would fall off sooner rather than later..

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Salt and Pepper Chicken and 6 chips. Yes I counted the chips. Thankfully they weren’t the best so I stopped at 6.
So Chinese? Cripsy duck might have been a better option just ditch the pancakes and sauce?