Need Snack Ideas

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
I work in a business park which is pretty far removed from civilisation.

My job is.....challenging, mentally and we seem to have either periods of manic activity or great big lulls..

Manic or busy is fine as it distracts me from any huger pangs I feel but in the quiet times I nee something to snack on. I cant eat nuts or seeds but have the occasional pork scratching to hand.

What else can I keep in my work drawer ?.

Thanks

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I work in a business park which is pretty far removed from civilisation.

My job is.....challenging, mentally and we seem to have either periods of manic activity or great big lulls..

Manic or busy is fine as it distracts me from any huger pangs I feel but in the quiet times I nee something to snack on. I cant eat nuts or seeds but have the occasional pork scratching to hand.

What else can I keep in my work drawer ?.

Thanks
Patrick, do you have access to a fridge? If you have, you could store cheese, olives. Have you considered making LC granola bars?

Lots of recipes online for LC muffins.

Reactions: lorraine95

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Patrick, do you have access to a fridge? If you have, you could store cheese, olives. Have you considered making LC granola bars?

Lots of recipes online for LC muffins.
I am always tempted...the slightly scared, by the prospect of LC Muffins...I would eat a hundred in one sitting..

Yes we do have a fridge. Unfortunately its tiny and I know, much to my frustration, how difficult it is to get anything in it once one or two people have filled it with enormous salad containers (filed with a miniscule amount of salad), various unguents, soft cheeses and dressings...

Reactions: kitedoc

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Boiled eggs, sliced ham, sliced celery sticks with cream cheese, tin/jar of olives, cheese, take a lunch box :)

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The trick with the muffins is to find some you can freeze, grab one as you leave for work.

Look up fat bombs, plenty to choose from, sweet and savoury.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Boiled eggs, sliced ham, sliced celery sticks with cream cheese, tin/jar of olives, cheese, take a lunch box :)
I can eat eggs, ham, cant do olives or celery or cream cheese. We have too many lunch boxes so I will have to see what I can do, Thank you.

Reactions: Juicyj

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The trick with the muffins is to find some you can freeze, grab one as you leave for work.

Look up fat bombs, plenty to choose from, sweet and savoury.
Very interesting. Will have to see if my better half is in an experimenting mood. The bacon and egg bomb sounds lovely. That said so do some of sweeter options.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cheese Slices, Baby Bel, Asda Chicken Strips (are pre cooked)
Cheese slices are a no as is baby bel. I simply cant process that type of food. Chicken is always good although I tend to have a chicken salad for lunch.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Is it worth experimenting with a more satisfying breakfast so you can go right through.
It is.
I'm really not a breakfast person and I am struggling with finding something I will enjoy to start the day with.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Has anyone tried these Grenade "Low carb-high protein" bars ?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheese slices are a no as is baby bel. I simply cant process that type of food. Chicken is always good although I tend to have a chicken salad for lunch.

How about buying a pack of drummers, or wings and roasting them. You could season some (like peri-peri for example) and leave some plain, the wrap them individually in foil and freeze them. Grab one, or two when leaving for work, and they'll likely have defrosted by the time it comes to snack-time? Similarly with decent chipolatas. If you have Sunday roast, cut eny leftovers into cubes.

M

Member496333

In the simplest terms for diabetes management - the optimal goal is to satiate fully at each meal. Eating anything causes an insulin response, so you may as well only have a couple of “episodes” per day rather than constantly drip-feeding insulin into the bloodstream by way of snacking. A type 2 should always be aiming to minimise insulin secretion, and grazing is suboptimal in this regard.

That said, we’re all human and it would be pretty depressing if you couldn’t enjoy a nice nibble now and then. Hard boiled eggs are ideal. Keep them in a grenade belt :D

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
You could make some sausage rolls using the recipe fat head dough. They are delicious. Look up Dietdocotor.com the recipe is in there. I like using walnut halves to scoop out full-fat cream cheese. Or take some cold cooked bacon with some boiled eggs for your snack. If you do not eat brekky well the snacking could be considered as your breakfast but just at a later time. How about some cold sausages with bacon wrapped around? Make a batch of minced meatballs, and have them with some cheese. You can eat them cold

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wouldn't buy protein bars, all the ones I have looked at had unwanted ingredients.

I did make granola bars once. They were very good. I mixed a load of nuts, some lightly toasted with some coconut oil mix well, baked in a low oven. Cut into bars but leave in the tin to cool. Once cooled, remove from tin. Re-cut the bars, wrap in cling film, store in airtight container.

The recipe called for honey which I left out. Next time I will add some lakanto maple syrup flavour (possibly) I don't have a sweet tooth.

lengward

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In the simplest terms for diabetes management - the optimal goal is to satiate fully at each meal. Eating anything causes an insulin response, so you may as well only have a couple of “episodes” per day rather than constantly drip-feeding insulin into the bloodstream by way of snacking. A type 2 should always be aiming to minimise insulin secretion, and grazing is suboptimal in this regard.

That said, we’re all human and it would be pretty depressing if you couldn’t enjoy a nice nibble now and then. Hard boiled eggs are ideal. Keep them in a grenade belt :D
Well said Jim, exactly my thoughts.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
How about buying a pack of drummers, or wings and roasting them. You could season some (like peri-peri for example) and leave some plain, the wrap them individually in foil and freeze them. Grab one, or two when leaving for work, and they'll likely have defrosted by the time it comes to snack-time? Similarly with decent chipolatas. If you have Sunday roast, cut eny leftovers into cubes.
Thank you, the chicken wings sound like a good idea. And they’re cheap.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
You could make some sausage rolls using the recipe fat head dough. They are delicious. Look up Dietdocotor.com the recipe is in there. I like using walnut halves to scoop out full-fat cream cheese. Or take some cold cooked bacon with some boiled eggs for your snack. If you do not eat brekky well the snacking could be considered as your breakfast but just at a later time. How about some cold sausages with bacon wrapped around? Make a batch of minced meatballs, and have them with some cheese. You can eat them cold
I love sausages but nobody seems to recommend them. I did see a list where they were quite carb high but I’m wondering if that’s down to what’s actually in the sausage eg a ton of breadcrumbs..