Low Carb Program app approved by NHS Digital

DCUK NewsBot

Diabetes Digital Media's Low Carb Program app has been accepted in the NHS apps library, increasing treatment options for people with type 2 diabetes. The decision is part of health secretary Matt Hancock's pledge to embrace technology as part of a wider effort to tackle high diabetes rates, as well as related conditions such as obesity and high blood pressure. The Low Carb Program app, available on iOS and Android, now features in the list of online tools approved by NHS Digital, and provides people with type 2 diabetes with the opportunity to make lifestyle changes, chiefly by eating a real-food diet, to help improve their health. As well as enabling people to lose weight, improve their HbA1c and even put type 2 diabetes into remission, the Low Carb Program is helping to save NHS costs by reducing medication prescriptions. In just over two years, the program has demonstrated a cost saving to the NHS of £835 per person, per year in prescription costs. Charlotte Summers, Chief Operating Officer of Diabetes Digital Media, said: "In 2018 over 13,000 people in England completed the Low Carb Program, saving the NHS £10.8m. We expect that to increase three-fold with a saving of more than £30m in 12 months." Over 380,000 people have signed up to the Low Carb Program, which comprises a 12-week evidence-based structured behavioural change program. Upon completion, the Low Carb Program community can share recipes and support each other, and our teams of nutritionists regularly provide additional resources and materials. The one-year Low Carb Program outcomes were published last year in the peer-reviewed Journal of Medical Internet Research, which revealed more than 40% of people with type 2 diabetes who start the program on medication eliminate a drug from the regimen at the one-year mark. The program, which can be commissioned as structured education on the NHS having received QISMET approval earlier this year, also received CE Mark approval in June. Dr David Unwin, a Lancashire GP and 2016 NHS Innovator of the Year who helped to develop the app, said: "I reversed my diabetes on a low carb diet. I don't get any money from inventing the app. I'm just happy to see patients stop their diabetes." An NHS spokesperson said: "We have very rigorous testing. Patients can be confident of using the app."

Continue reading...

Reactions: donnellysdogs

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Wonderful. The test will be to see for how long people can stay on the diet and maintain their health and keep health costs reduced.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Wonderful. The test will be to see for how long people can stay on the diet and maintain their health and keep health costs reduced.
Defo.
Satiety has alot to do with it too. Hormone Leptin influences satiety. Some people are Leptin resistant.

Reactions: kitedoc

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The real test will be exactly how many doctors are aware and then go on to prescribe it....

M

Member496333

Is this really happening? Does this really mean that now, in theory, a GP can recommend low carbohydrate eating to diabetes patients? Truly momentous if so.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is this really happening? Does this really mean that now, in theory, a GP can recommend low carbohydrate eating to diabetes patients? Truly momentous if so.

Jim - Not only can they recommend it; they can prescribe it.

The LCP is a subscription service, so the GP effectively prescribes a token to activate the LCP. The individual then has a lifelong access to the LCP, so they can revisit as often as they care or need to.

The LCP can be found here: https://apps.beta.nhs.uk/category/diabetes/ Justr a little scrolling down to be done.

Patients can also go directly to it, either by the LCP website or the Apps library.

There is also a complimentary RCGP eModule for GPs and HCPs, on Low G1 for T2, written and fronted by Dr David Unwin, in collaboration with DCUK. The module qualifies for CPD credit.

http://elearning.rcgp.org.uk/course/search.php?search=diabetes+type+2 Again a modest scroll will find it from that page.

I was with the GP Practise Nurse yesterday, having some travel vaccinations done, and I asked who did the T2 reviews these days. It was her. She already knew of the LCP and the RCGP eLearning. Of course she could have been fibbing, but her body language and demeanour didn't suggest that to me.

In the words of Bob,............ The times, they are a changing.

M

Member496333

Wow. I have to say I’m a little bit awestruck. It feels like we’ve just won a war :D

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow. I have to say I’m a little bit awestruck. It feels like we’ve just won a war :D

Whilst I think it is a quantum leap and a massive breakthrough into the true mainstream, , it takes a long time for cultural changes to embed. The shifts in the actual actions taken by HCPs and prescribing routines will take quite a long time to happen.

DESMOND, EDEN, Empower, and so, so many other approved T2 diabetes education programmes are out there, and those committed to and involved with those are quite unlikely to just shrug their shoulder, turn on their heel and just not bother with everything they worked for because the LCP is the new kid on the block.

No doubt.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
As the low carb program "drip feeds" information in a controlled order, it may not be the best opion for "self directed" learners. Forums (including this one) tend to be filled with self directed learners.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As the low carb program "drip feeds" information in a controlled order, it may not be the best opion for "self directed" learners. Forums (including this one) tend to be filled with self directed learners.

Ringi - I think it's fair to comment that whatever the approach, one size doesn't fit all.

The Punk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As the NHS finally have decided to endorse low carb eating should we get together, create a company to produce low carb ‘ready’ meals of a very high quality from the many recipes available to us to sell to the diabetic community.

Vegan ready meals the big thing in the last few months. All the big stores appear to be jumping on board.

So why not a roll out of proper ‘low carb’ ready meals and snacks?

I am sure Dragons Den would invest.