Eyesight

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Been feeling "off" for the last couple of days, I was wondering whether I was coming down with an attack of vertigo that I had a few months back. Feeling spacy and slightly dizzy when I was looking around.

On a whim, I looked out my old specs, eventually found the ones before my newest (must chuck out the rest). Whilst I don't think the prescription is 100 per cent right, I feel a LOT better wearing them.

So, that is a year and a month since dx. I will leave it a few days before contacting the optician for an appointment.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @xfieldok, Just being unwell could affect your sight. Unsure why the difference in your specs. Sometimes, if the BSLs have been up a bit during the last assessment the prescription might not be quite right when later the BSLs are nearer normal.
Maybe in the assessment before the last your BSLs are like they were then.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Prescription changed May 2017, DX November 2017 HbA1c 122 so very high.

Phoned the opticians and got appointment next Tuesday. My main concern is splashing out on new prescription and then having to do it again in a couple of months.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Prescription changed May 2017, DX November 2017 HbA1c 122 so very high.

Phoned the opticians and got appointment next Tuesday. My main concern is splashing out on new prescription and then having to do it again in a couple of months.

Glasses can be much less costly, when bought online. Because of our sailing antics, and the annoyingly regular donations to Neptune,.. ahem, .... we have bought several pairs online.

The site we used came recommended by someone offering sympathies, shortly after my OH dived into a fabulous Caribbean bay, wearing his brand new £500 glasses. Bearing in mind he favours rimless they were never found, despite me acting as spotter and him donning a tank and fins and going to look for them.

Anyway, anyway, we usually buy a couple of pairs at a time. My last 2 pairs, with varifocals, reactions lenses, one rimless frame and onle titanium, and came in at just over $100 (US) for both. I usually buy one everyday style wearing and one pair as shades (even though I have reactions lenses). My OH's are usually a few dollars more as his lenses are a bit thicker, so he upgrades to the thinnest available.

You do have to do a little more homework when ordering, like understanding your inter pupilary distance - your optician will measure that, but it's also not rocket science, and a lot of the other measurements you can take from your current/favourite frames.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks I never thought of looking online. I will speak to the opticians.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks I never thought of looking online. I will speak to the opticians.

There are places like GlassesDirect, based in UK, but we use Zenni Optical. I can't say we ever asked anyone's permission to do it. The Zenni website, and I'm sure all the other too, have very clear instructions for what they need.

I think it's GlassesDirect that send you frames to tray at home, before you order them. MoneySavingExpert has quite a bit on online glasses.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Been to the opticians. There is a significant change in one eye. I am to wear my old specs and return in 6 weeks to compare the readings. He seems well versed in diabetes.

Told him about the dog and abusing the Chinese. He told me to get back on the diet and showed me pictures of his 50 pound, 6 month old rotti!

BarbaraG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I’m similarly struggling with glasses, having broken my most recent pair in a fall in November, and having poor control at the time. Stuck with my old ones, with are a weaker prescription, although that was suiting me better. According to my optician, high BG makes you less short-sighted, but it’s only temporary.

I go back to the optician tomorrow for my third visit.... hoping she will prescribe this time. I’ve been on Trulicity for 3 weeks, and the difference in my BG is phenomenal.