New Zealand documentary

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just watched the opening scenes and already feel like crying. It absolutely doesn't help anyone to ignore their diabetes.

Have bookmarked to watch the whole series later. Don't think I can face it this early in the morning, to be honest :(

Reactions: jjraak

VioletViolet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just watched the opening scenes and already feel like crying. It absolutely doesn't help anyone to ignore their diabetes.

Have bookmarked to watch the whole series later. Don't think I can face it this early in the morning, to be honest :(
It's harrowing but I really needed to see it , my head has been in the sand too long

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think this thread and the documentary might prove to be a useful recommendation for people who are in denial about the seriousness of their diabetes, so thank you for posting it @VioletViolet.

Reactions: jjraak

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I don't recommend the watching of this doco series actually, haven't done, to any friends and family or to folks with diabetes. Although yes, it is very moving, and great to have it via the point of view of the son-doco maker. From my pov - it is just too sad and depressing!

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I really don't understand the purpose of denial. I mean, most human traits seem to have some evolutionary/survival function, but for the life of me I can't understand what survival benefit could possibly come from denial of reality. Anybody got any clues?

Just about ever person in the documentary says some version of "If only I'd taken diabetes seriously when I was first diagnosed". It's heartbreaking.

Reactions: Member496333

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Still, apart from the early appearances by Michael Moseley and Caryn Zinn, there were starchy foods everywhere - especially bread. The bit about the Samoan Govt being blackmailed by the US and NZ into accepting their carbage foods was also very disappointing.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I don't recommend the watching of this doco series actually, haven't done, to any friends and family or to folks with diabetes. Although yes, it is very moving, and great to have it via the point of view of the son-doco maker. From my pov - it is just too sad and depressing!

I remember watching this show just a few months after I was diagnosed. Yes, it is very sad but that's because Type 2 Diabetes is (or can be) very sad. The show is raw, shocking and very human. Sadly, one of the reasons people might not face up to the realities of complications is that the numbers of us are so large now that it can seem almost 'normal' to get the diagnosis. The truth is scary but we do need to know and understand that truth.

Reactions: VioletViolet

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Coca Colonialisation everywhere!

There's been a new expose about how Coca Cola has been influencing food guidelines even in China - more of the blame the victim and exercise solves everything :(

VioletViolet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Fair enough , your review is spot on. But sometimes what people need is a wake up call. Seeing "diabetic complications" is a slap in the face for people like me living in denial.

Reactions: WuTwo and AloeSvea
M

Member496333

Excellent thread. Thank you so much for posting this. I just watched part 1 and it’s very sad. Will watch the others in due course.

M

Member496333

Crikey. Episode 2 is extremely moving. Especially as someone who has suffered and recovered from foot and eye complications that would absolutely have escalated had I not taken swift, hard action. I am happy to say that I cried watching that. Particularly empathetic when the lady welled up as her ophthalmologist said he could see retinal bleeding, as I’ve been through it all myself. Also extremely graphic images but perhaps everyone should see them.

I am very grateful that I stumbled upon this discussion, and thanks so much again for sharing. Take care of yourselves guys :nurse:

Reactions: Indy51

VioletViolet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Crikey. Episode 2 is extremely moving. Especially as someone who has suffered and recovered from foot and eye complications that would absolutely have escalated had I not taken swift, hard action. I am happy to say that I cried watching that. Particularly empathetic when the lady welled up as her ophthalmologist said he could see retinal bleeding, as I’ve been through it all myself. Also extremely graphic images but perhaps everyone should see them.

I am very grateful that I stumbled upon this discussion, and thanks so much again for sharing. Take care of yourselves guys :nurse:

It broke my heart and made me cry like a baby. I'm adamant that I am going to use it to make the changes I've been promising myself a long time. I first posted here in 2014 and I am still eating like kid in a sweet shop when life gets too hard and I binge eat. Hopefully I have not left it too late to turn things around.

M

Member496333

It broke my heart and made me cry like a baby. I'm adamant that I am going to use it to make the changes I've been promising myself a long time. I first posted here in 2014 and I am still eating like kid in a sweet shop when life gets too hard and I binge eat. Hopefully I have not left it too late to turn things around.

Go for it! I’m sure it’s not too late for you.

Sometimes I’m so thankful that I was able to make the decision that I did, when I did. It could so easily have gone the other way and spiralled into a pattern of self destruction. I’m historically not the most proactive person, so I don’t pretend to take credit for my own turnaround. It could just have easily been the flip of a coin.

Anyway if these videos can’t motivate diabetics to look after themselves then nothing can :)

VioletViolet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Go for it! I’m sure it’s not too late for you.

Sometimes I’m so thankful that I was able to make the decision that I did, when I did. It could so easily have gone the other way and spiralled into a pattern of self destruction. I’m historically not the most proactive person, so I don’t pretend to take credit for my own turnaround. It could just have easily been the flip of a coin.

Anyway if these videos can’t motivate diabetics to look after themselves then nothing can :)

Thank goodness we are lucky enough to have access to the web and places like this forum to help and support each other.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I will not watch the video. Things like this play on my mind and not in a healthy way. I already know what diabetes can do and I choose to just go forward which I have without watching video such as the above. If people need to watch it and if it helps them then all well and good, but for me, I had my wake up call when I got the letter from my GP telling me that my sugars were very high. I am quite a positive person, but I think that if I were to watch the video, demons would set in and play with my mind.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I am quite prone to anxiety and feel a need to know what the worst case scenario is so that there can be few surprises. Although I have viewed the series before I decided to watch it again (only the last episode left) even though I know the outcome for Brian.