Miao Miao issue

Suzysbm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Wow, that's exactly my plan, I have other autoimmune diseases so on steroids and thyroid meds which all impact, managing to stay in target 90+% most if the time but only by eating really low carb 20 to 30gcho per day. I've got a to watch to run the alarms through, so grateful for your help, I think if I got an A1C of 28 my consultant would faint
Ticwatch darn autocorrect.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I think there must be shipping delays due to increased demand - I’ve had several emails from them this week notifying me that several sales have been registered to my referral link, and I’m just one of many sharing one of those.

@Connie’s Dad - air gap is critical. It needs to be right up against the Libre, and the overlap needs to be firmly stuck together, I’ve found.

And the alarms are so useful for achieving a normal HbA1c - mine is set to 7 at night, so if it wakes me I can correct quickly and then go back to sleep. I normally correct at 6 during the day as I have a pump and can microbolus to nudge it down a mmol - a Sugar Surfing technique I’ve found really useful. Same goes for lows, if I drift under 4, I just take two dextrose tabs and turn the pump off for half an hour. It’s enabled me to get an HbA1c of 37 with minimal hypos, and no serious ones.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Wow, that's exactly my plan, I have other autoimmune diseases so on steroids and thyroid meds which all impact, managing to stay in target 90+% most if the time but only by eating really low carb 20 to 30gcho per day. I've got a to watch to run the alarms through, so grateful for your help, I think if I got an A1C of 28 my consultant would faint

Lol, yeah, they freak out a bit with low numbers, but that's because they are used to just seeing the a1c number for patients using strips.

I'm lucky enough to live in NHS Lothian which has a really liberal libre scripting policy - if you're T1 here and want libre, you'll get it.

Because of that, the docs here have been seeing across the board drops in a1c, and they now know it's not because of lots of hypos, it's because of not running above 9 or 10 too often.

At my last 6 month checkup, the doc asked about the 28, I ran the numbers from xdrip past her, she was perfectly ok with it.

I had a yearly checkup with my GP too and she amusingly said, hmm, maybe 30 is the new 40!

It's a brave new world, Suzy, the docs are getting on side with it, but many of them haven't even heard of blinging libre or xdrip etc, but they do seem to be willing to listen.

Suzysbm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes, I found out about the mm from the pump nurse at the clinic, I was thinking about a pump but they don't offer a cgm yet, so I decided to try the mm with xdrip. Basically, I just want tighter control, I've lived with this since 78 and as I say I've got lots of other interferences from other conditions, I think this is the way to go, measure, adjust by tiny increments until you win the battle. The low carb really helps, I'm finally losing some weight too which helps as I'm on metformin as well as insulin. I've dropped about 38 units of fast acting insulin a day so far and my basal is less too. Hoping if I can get my weight down it will help with the insulin resistance. I'll let you know how I get o, you can probably steer me in the right direction setting it up. Thanks again.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
air gap is critical

After more than a year with my blucon doing its thang in good style, I was throwing hissy fits when MM was doing that checksum=false gig on the second sensor, along the lines of why have I bought some junk from a Communist country, it's trying to steal my bank details, let's start World War Three just to put those commy b******s in their place.

Then I realised, oh, it's not close enough to the sensor. Cancel that war, Donald.

The Air Gap is a great title for a sci-fi-movie. I can see some sort of Matrix style movie with T1s displaying "attitude" and maybe some Glocks just because our cgm isn't working that well...

Last edited:

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
After more than a year with my blucon doing its thang in good style, I was throwing hissy fits when MM was doing that checksum=false gig on the second sensor, along the lines of why have I bought some junk from a Communist country, it's trying to steal my bank details, let's start World War Three just to put those commy b******s in their place.

Then I realised, oh, it's not close enough to the sensor. Cancel that war, Donald.

The Air Gap is a great title for a sci-movie. I can see some sort of Matrix style movie with T1s displaying "attitude" and maybe some Glocks just because our cgm isn't working that well...
MIND THE GAP :D

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I think this is the way to go, measure, adjust by tiny increments until you win the battle.

That's pretty much what Stephen Ponder says in Sugar Surfing: instead of the mess of dealing with a hypo or hyper after it's happened, use the clues which cgm gives you to make small tweaks and nudges to gently steer an upward or downward trend back in line before it gets anywhere near out of range.

Since starting doing this, even though it means a few more shots, I feel like I'm co-operating with my T1, in the same way I'd pick my nephew up when he fell off while learning to ride a bike, instead of fighting it, and that makes a huge difference to my general peace of mind.

I'll let you know how I get o, you can probably steer me in the right direction setting it up

Sure, fire away when you're ready! I'm guessing your mm is probably in the Falkland Islands by now...

If you're on android, xdrip is here, lots and lots of menu options, took me a few hours sitting in a pub with a few beers to make sense of it:

https://github.com/NightscoutFoundation/xDrip/releases

And there's a guide to setting it up with a watch here:

https://github.com/jamorham/xDrip-plus/blob/master/Documentation/WatchGuide.md

The thing which foxed me for a few hours with the watch (Fossil Q Explorist) was missing the bit in the guide about also downloading xdrip from playstore to the watch itself. Don't know how that'll pan out with your ticwatch.

Joesdad

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Got it working eventually. But think my MiaoMiao is faulty. It only seems to run for a day or so before it needs reset.

@Connie’s Dad. We have recently developed this issue. We put on the MiaoMiao and it works fine for a day or two, then suddenly it just dies on us. Nothing! The only thing that helps is to take the whole sticky thing off, press reset and leave it to charge for an hour or so. And that's even though Xdrip+ is showing the charge to be 80%!! This just started happening about 3 weeks ago and has happened about 5 times already.
Have you, or anyone else got any solution?

Reactions: Connie’s Dad

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Have you, or anyone else got any solution?

If you could post a screenshot of the events log, that might offer a few clues.

Press the three vertical dots at top right, then View Events Log, then select the Mid option like pic below. It'll very often say what is going wrong.

Deselecting Mid and checking El can offer pointers too.

One of the things I noticed shortly after starting mm is that it would sort of slide down my arm a bit, not by much but just enough to lose the connection. Taking it off and reattaching snugger up tight to the sensor sorted that. Failures of that type can be seen in the Mid events log as "checksum_ok=false".

Another trick is to look at the System Status page, if it shows "Disabled, tap to enable" in the Bluetooth Paring field, tapping it will usually sort it out.

Don't know what phone you're using, if it's a Samsung, they're really sketchy with xdrip because their bluetooth implementation is just weird.

Screenshot_2019-06-30-18-55-38.png

Screenshot_2019-06-30-19-06-54.png

Screenshot_2019-06-30-19-07-21.png