Group 2 licence annual renewal DVLA

T1DM2012

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry in advance this is going to be a bit of a ramble, but have to get it of my chest. Anyway, diagnosed type 1 2012 and had group 2 entitlements removed from licence. Told could try to reapply in 12 months time. This cost me my business of 15 years. Spent next three years training for a new career. May 2017 decided to apply for group 2 entitlements to be added to my licence so that i could return to old job part time. Long winded process. January 2018 successfull. Was told they would write 3 months before licence expires to renew. Paperwork came through in October filled out and returned to DVLA. End of November told i need to attend appointment with GP to assess fitness to drive. December attended appointment. The appointment with GP was odd she even appologised for wasting my time called it a tick box exercise that my nurse could have done the previous week when she saw me and never even looked at my meter. Left this appointment feeling this wasnt right. Repeated phone calls to DVLA paperwork still not there. I was getting very concerned as, as far as i was aware still had to see a independent consultant and could see this was not going to be done by the time my licence expires. Told this was for group 1 and 2 entitlements by an advisor last wednesday. Also advised i may be able to continue driving under section 88. Now getting really angry, and not happy to drive under section 88. I dont trust anyone especially DVLA and in section 88 it says you have to be sure DVLA will give you the licence - rediculous how can any one know that. Next day telephoned again wanting further info about section 88. During this call was told that my application was only for group 1 entitlements. The appointment i attended with the GP was to assess my fitness to drive a car. Advissor claims there is a box i havent put an x in for group 2 entitlements. Told they automatically presume you no longer want group 2 entitlements each year unless you say differently. Totally lost it at this point with advisor. Told there is nothing they can do about it and i must start the whole application process again this took nearly 8 months in 2017. I have made an official complaint to DVLA the procedure of which is again tick box and long winded.
My anger is around the facts that
1. My group 1 entitlements have been reduced from 3 to 1 year. Asked why and told to bring it into line with the renewal of your group 2. Nobody else with type one has there fitness to drive cars assessed annualy which i now have to if i have group 2 entitlements which in theory is supose to mean i meet the highest standards of driving there is. Consider this discrimination. It is bad enough going through this each year for group 2 entitlements, but my car is my lifeline.
2. 10, 11, and 12 months ago respectively my fitness to drive group 2 was assessed by a GP my consultant and an independent consultant. So why 10 months after seeing their consultant have they just spent 3 months assessing my fitness to drive group 1. An entitlement that would normally last 3 years.
3. I was told my application was for group 1 and 2 by an advisor.
4. I was told i may be able to drive under section 88. Had i not of made the phonecall the next day i may have continued driving my lorry, which would have bee totally illegal as as far as they are concerned i have not applied for group 2 entitlements
5. Their letter inviting you to renew is factually incorrect. They are in fact writing to invite you to renew your group 1. If you want to renew your group 2 you must do x,y,z!! They automatically presume you no longer want group 2. This is just crazy, when you renew your insurance they presume you want to and nothing has changed unless you tell them otherwise.

Anyway I am so angry, so upset and really quite depressed right now as will lose half my income as i have no licence to drive my lorry. They are unable to comment on what the process is or how long this might take. I think this whole process is disgusting, and destroys peoples lifes. All they could tell me yesterday is that it will take 3 weeks from when they recieve the new application to have it scanned on to the system. I plan to take this complaint as far as i can because words cannot describe the emotional and financial turmoil this is putting me through. I don't feel they should get away with it. I want to ensure others never have to go through this either.
Does anyone else have any similar experience or think i have a case to make? Thanks in advance.

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Write to your MP that was the only way I got my Group 1 license back.

Reactions: T1DM2012

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Sympathies from a fellow HGV driver. Its one of the reasons i'm doing my upmost to avoid full T2 and any medication that comes with it.

I wish you luck.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I’m on insulin have group 2 and have to renew every year it’s a long process but eventually happens

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’m just beginning the process to apply for group two, so am following with interest.

Reactions: jjraak

T1DM2012

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m just beginning the process to apply for group two, so am following with interest
Good Luck! Xx The application process was long winded but ok. Communicating with DVLA on the otherhand to renew has been absolutely appauling. I've been provided with so much conflicting and incorrect information through the renewal process, you just would not believe. Planning on taking the case to the health ombudsman, in the hope that changes will be made so no one else has to go through what i am at the moment!! Good luck again and i am sure you will be fine Xx

Reactions: jjraak

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Good Luck! Xx The application process was long winded but ok. Communicating with DVLA on the otherhand to renew has been absolutely appauling. I've been provided with so much conflicting and incorrect information through the renewal process, you just would not believe. Planning on taking the case to the health ombudsman, in the hope that changes will be made so no one else has to go through what i am at the moment!! Good luck again and i am sure you will be fine Xx
Thanks! I’ve passed the eyesight element (the bit I was concerned about) and have my D4 medical in a few weeks.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
have my D4 medical in a few weeks.

Make sure the doctor completes the form properly, and fills in all the sections.

According to the medical section at DVLA the biggest cause of delays with Group 2 licences is incomplete D4's or delays getting responses to questions from GPs.

Jackthehat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For my taxi licence i need a group 2 medical, ive just had a heart attack and a stent, DVLA/insurance/licensing arent concerned or want to know whereas I had to tell DVLA about my type 2

our "test" centre is a botox clinic

d blundred

Type of diabetes
Type 2
For my taxi licence i need a group 2 medical, ive just had a heart attack and a stent, DVLA/insurance/licensing arent concerned or want to know whereas I had to tell DVLA about my type 2

Sorry in advance this is going to be a bit of a ramble, but have to get it of my chest. Anyway, diagnosed type 1 2012 and had group 2 entitlements removed from licence. Told could try to reapply in 12 months time. This cost me my business of 15 years. Spent next three years training for a new career. May 2017 decided to apply for group 2 entitlements to be added to my licence so that i could return to old job part time. Long winded process. January 2018 successfull. Was told they would write 3 months before licence expires to renew. Paperwork came through in October filled out and returned to DVLA. End of November told i need to attend appointment with GP to assess fitness to drive. December attended appointment. The appointment with GP was odd she even appologised for wasting my time called it a tick box exercise that my nurse could have done the previous week when she saw me and never even looked at my meter. Left this appointment feeling this wasnt right. Repeated phone calls to DVLA paperwork still not there. I was getting very concerned as, as far as i was aware still had to see a independent consultant and could see this was not going to be done by the time my licence expires. Told this was for group 1 and 2 entitlements by an advisor last wednesday. Also advised i may be able to continue driving under section 88. Now getting really angry, and not happy to drive under section 88. I dont trust anyone especially DVLA and in section 88 it says you have to be sure DVLA will give you the licence - rediculous how can any one know that. Next day telephoned again wanting further info about section 88. During this call was told that my application was only for group 1 entitlements. The appointment i attended with the GP was to assess my fitness to drive a car. Advissor claims there is a box i havent put an x in for group 2 entitlements. Told they automatically presume you no longer want group 2 entitlements each year unless you say differently. Totally lost it at this point with advisor. Told there is nothing they can do about it and i must start the whole application process again this took nearly 8 months in 2017. I have made an official complaint to DVLA the procedure of which is again tick box and long winded.
My anger is around the facts that
1. My group 1 entitlements have been reduced from 3 to 1 year. Asked why and told to bring it into line with the renewal of your group 2. Nobody else with type one has there fitness to drive cars assessed annualy which i now have to if i have group 2 entitlements which in theory is supose to mean i meet the highest standards of driving there is. Consider this discrimination. It is bad enough going through this each year for group 2 entitlements, but my car is my lifeline.
2. 10, 11, and 12 months ago respectively my fitness to drive group 2 was assessed by a GP my consultant and an independent consultant. So why 10 months after seeing their consultant have they just spent 3 months assessing my fitness to drive group 1. An entitlement that would normally last 3 years.
3. I was told my application was for group 1 and 2 by an advisor.
4. I was told i may be able to drive under section 88. Had i not of made the phonecall the next day i may have continued driving my lorry, which would have bee totally illegal as as far as they are concerned i have not applied for group 2 entitlements
5. Their letter inviting you to renew is factually incorrect. They are in fact writing to invite you to renew your group 1. If you want to renew your group 2 you must do x,y,z!! They automatically presume you no longer want group 2. This is just crazy, when you renew your insurance they presume you want to and nothing has changed unless you tell them otherwise.

Anyway I am so angry, so upset and really quite depressed right now as will lose half my income as i have no licence to drive my lorry. They are unable to comment on what the process is or how long this might take. I think this whole process is disgusting, and destroys peoples lifes. All they could tell me yesterday is that it will take 3 weeks from when they recieve the new application to have it scanned on to the system. I plan to take this complaint as far as i can because words cannot describe the emotional and financial turmoil this is putting me through. I don't feel they should get away with it. I want to ensure others never have to go through this either.
Does anyone else have any similar experience or think i have a case to make? Thanks in advance.
I was in the same position yrs ago when the law came in you could drive hgv on insulin the first time I applied it took 11 mths the second time took 8 mths and so on by the time you got it back it was time to do the process all over again to my thoughts after goin to see the dvla independent consultant that used to take a while so I kept a note of how long after seein them how long it took to get my licence one time it took 7 weeks so I emailed CEO Oliver Morley I told him how long I had been waitin each time so as soon as I’d done this it came back within two weeks so best doin that really shake em up a bit

Jackthehat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was in the same position yrs ago when the law came in you could drive hgv on insulin the first time I applied it took 11 mths the second time took 8 mths and so on by the time you got it back it was time to do the process all over again to my thoughts after goin to see the dvla independent consultant that used to take a while so I kept a note of how long after seein them how long it took to get my licence one time it took 7 weeks so I emailed CEO Oliver Morley I told him how long I had been waitin each time so as soon as I’d done this it came back within two weeks so best doin that really shake em up a bit

My licensing said "ok, your due a medical in july, carry on" and DVLA have no issues with my heart attack/stent. i have to have a group 2 medical but not for driving just for badge.