Hypo at 4.6mmol/l

timgil

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today I left my meter at home, so after my fasting reading of 6.3mmol/l I was not able to test myself during the day. Mid afternoon I started feeling very tired and found it hard to concentrate. Eventually I left work at 4pm (a little earlier than usual). Got home and by the time I was there I was feeling shaky and sooo tired and could not concentrate on anything. Managed to test and it was 4.6mmol/l. I know this is not a hypo but it is the lowest I have ever tested. My sugar levels were sky high before I got tested and before I started to pay attention to what I ate because of that. I tested at 27mmol/l at one point and I am convinced I was previously much higher than that.

I am sure that my body thinks that 4.6 IS a hypo - I am supposed to be going out to help someone this evening - I've just texted him that unless I feel better in 45 mins or so after having something to eat - I'm going to have to postpone!

It is frustrating though...... 4.6mmol/l is a good level.... if my levels were that all the time I would be over the moon! My daily averages are around 6.5 at the moment - with about 33% of readings under 5.9, so I am doing better but its infuriating when "normal" feels bad!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you still taking medication? It might be that your body doesn't like being "forced" so low by meds or it could simply be that it is not used to being down there.. the first time I went below 4 I had a very odd feeling but then after that first time it was fine (usually only happens when on an extended fast). Hopefully as you get more used to being at "normal" levels your body will catch up.

timgil

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, I am on 2mg Glimepiride. I think the issue is that my body simply isnt used to being at normal levels and is saying to me "Hey! Up the sugar levels - you know you want to!!!". It's wrong though - I don't want to!

I am hoping - and expecting - that you are correct. My body needs re-training and eventually it will adjust.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I am on 2mg Glimepiride. I think the issue is that my body simply isnt used to being at normal levels and is saying to me "Hey! Up the sugar levels - you know you want to!!!". It's wrong though - I don't want to!

I am hoping - and expecting - that you are correct. My body needs re-training and eventually it will adjust.
And to be fair you've only been diagnosed for a month so your bod is still in major catch up mode..

Last edited:
Reactions: miriamy

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

That's exactly what will happen :) It's called a false hypo, your body will adjust!

BarbaraG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Also possible that you had been lower than that and by the time you tested your body had released glucagon to bring your BG up.

Do monitor carefully when adopting low carb while taking sulfonylureas. I had several weeks of daily mild hypos before lunch before the nurse stopped my gliclazide.

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
I used to feel weird if I went below 5.5! Now its about 4.5 when I start to feel a bit weird, I think my body has just got used to higher levels. Possibly the same with you. It's very early days yet but do keep an eye on things.

timgil

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Agreed, and yes it may have been lower but even if not it was too low for my body at the time. Took an hour or two before I felt sufficiently better. Needless to say I cancelled going out - no way was I going to get in the car again.