Testing

chris66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally I would ignore this particular test and start testing in a structured way - before you eat and 2 hours after first bite. The most important thing at this stage is to look to see by how much you rise from before to after. Any rise should be under 2mmol/l maximum and preferably a lot less than that. If the rise is too great, there were too many carbs in that meal for your body to process, giving you the chance to change some of it. This is where keeping a food diary becomes important. You can then look for trends and patterns.

Having said that, 6.2 is not at all horrendous.
Thank you maybe start again tomorrow now ive worked out how to test successfully, how soon before eating should i test immediately before or within 30 minutes or so?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you maybe start again tomorrow now ive worked out how to test successfully, how soon before eating should i test immediately before or within 30 minutes or so?

Immediately before, after washing hands. Then again 2 hours after your first bite of food.

chris66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh not good 5.4 before eating 10.4 two hours after eating, looks like a roaston a sunday is out!

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
roaston a sunday is out
The roast itself is not out, its more likely to be what you have as a side. Yorkshire pudding is not the thing to go for, for example.
A rise of 5 is too much. What did you have for dinner?
Be aware that you could have tested with a rogue strip. If in doubt of a result do test again :)

chris66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The roast itself is not out, its more likely to be what you have as a side. Yorkshire pudding is not the thing to go for, for example.
A rise of 5 is too much. What did you have for dinner?
Be aware that you could have tested with a rogue strip. If in doubt of a result do test again :)
Full run down chicken, yorkshire, carrotts, brussels, cauliflower, roast spuds and gravy.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Full run down chicken, yorkshire, carrotts, brussels, cauliflower, roast spuds and gravy.
Well, the chicken, the sprouts and the cauliflower are all low carb and good, but hmmm to the rest. Leave the yorkshire, carrots and spuds out, and have just one spoonfull of gravy if you must. Gravy is thickened with flour, so have only a little. Or you could be less extreme and have small helpings of all the high carb foods and test right before and again 2 hours later to see if your result is better.

MikeyJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You're doing great @chris66 , when I first began testing I couldn't get any readings in single figures for weeks regardless of the time of day or what I had eaten so you're starting from a good base.

Reactions: chris66

chris66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, the chicken, the sprouts and the cauliflower are all low carb and good, but hmmm to the rest. Leave the yorkshire, carrots and spuds out, and have just one spoonfull of gravy if you must. Gravy is thickened with flour, so have only a little. Or you could be less extreme and have small helpings of all the high carb foods and test right before and again 2 hours later to see if your result is better.
Did test immediately before and 2 hours after, need a serious rethink on my menu by the looks.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
need a serious rethink on my menu by the looks.
Did you check out dietdoctor.com? Lots of info and many recipes. I'm sure your post prandial (2 hours after the meal) test would've looked perfect without the high carb foods. So much to learn initially, but it will get easier :)

chris66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You're doing great @chris66 , when I first began testing I couldn't get any readings in single figures for weeks regardless of the time of day or what I had eaten so you're starting from a good base.
Thanks Mikey, disheartened to have practically doubled two hours after meal i know its trial and error as far as eating goes guess i want too much too soon.

chris66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you check out dietdoctor.com? Lots of info and many recipes. I'm sure your post prandial (2 hours after the meal) test would've looked perfect without the high carb foods. So much to learn initially, but it will get easier :)
No i didn't just a bit stuck in my ways i guess, need to knuckle down and start being sensible!

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
No i didn't just a bit stuck in my ways i guess,
Me too. I still miss my bread after almost 10 months without it, but in my opinion we don't have much of a choice. Anyway, my lunch today was a lettuce leaf buttered with brie. It'll do, I suppose, and my toes, eyes, nerves and kidneys will love me for it in the long run, I'm sure.

chris66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Me too. I still miss my bread after almost 10 months without it, but in my opinion we don't have much of a choice. Anyway, my lunch today was a lettuce leaf buttered with brie. It'll do, I suppose, and my toes, eyes, nerves and kidneys will love me for it in the long run, I'm sure.
And there is my problem, i can't stand lettuce and looks like the veg i can eat i cant any more :(

MikeyJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Mikey, disheartened to have practically doubled two hours after meal i know its trial and error as far as eating goes guess i want too much too soon.
I wouldn't be too hard on yourself there's a lot to get your head around, keep up the good work and use the advice on this forum and i'm sure you'll see improvements

chris66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wouldn't be too hard on yourself there's a lot to get your head around, keep up the good work and use the advice on this forum and i'm sure you'll see improvements
Thanks again, will do i'm sure i will sort it in time.

Reactions: MikeyJ

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
And there is my problem, i can't stand lettuce and looks like the veg i can eat i cant any more :(
We can't have our cake and eat it, so to speak. Go to dietdoctor.com and see all the veggies you can have. If you don't like lettuce don't eat it :) Surely there must be some above ground veggies you like? Also consider that your preference for starchy root veggies could be down to carb dependence, the very thing we're trying to escape, and that there are a zillion ways of preparing veggies. Have a look at recipes on dietdoctor.com. They're very inspirational. Yes, I miss my spuds too, mash, roasted, whatever, but hey, that's life - literally speaking.

chris66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We can't have our cake and eat it, so to speak. Go to dietdoctor.com and see all the veggies you can have. If you don't like lettuce don't eat it :) Surely there must be some above ground veggies you like? Also consider that your preference for starchy root veggies could be down to carb dependence, the very thing we're trying to escape, and that there are a zillion ways of preparing veggies. Have a look at recipes on dietdoctor.com. They're very inspirational. Yes, I miss my spuds too, mash, roasted, whatever, but hey, that's life - literally speaking.
Sorry still in the adjustment stage and getting my head round change.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Sorry still in the adjustment stage and getting my head round change.
I know, and wonder if any of us ever really get there 100%. Adjusting takes time, but I consider myself so lucky that I found this forum and got a 2nd (or 3rd or 4th) chance to improve my lifestyle and probably prevent all the nasties that so many other T2s go through from happening. Just think of all the people who don't know about carbs ... Sometimes I wish I could abduct them to some desert island, feed them proper food and save the world.
Don't be sorry. In fact I'm sorry if you felt I was giving you a ticking off. I just want to get you into fighting mode, if I can :)

chris66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know, and wonder if any of us ever really get there 100%. Adjusting takes time, but I consider myself so lucky that I found this forum and got a 2nd (or 3rd or 4th) chance to improve my lifestyle and probably prevent all the nasties that so many other T2s go through from happening. Just think of all the people who don't know about carbs ... Sometimes I wish I could abduct them to some desert island, feed them proper food and save the world.
Don't be sorry. In fact I'm sorry if you felt I was giving you a ticking off. I just want to get you into fighting mode, if I can :)
No i didnt feel like you were giving me a ticking off, i honestly do appreciate yourself and all the other members who take the time out to offer help and advice, restores faith in humanity, my late wife was type2 and she always seemed to eat pretty much what she wanted and back then had never heard of low carb etc, on the plus side just been to town do i get a gold star for buying three packs of cauliflower rice :happy: (its all they had, not cheap is it!:(

Reactions: Bluetit1802