Testing

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
to town do i get a gold star for buying three packs of cauliflower rice :happy: (its all they had, not cheap is it!:(
See, you got a gold star, and it's even got a green ribbon :hilarious: I don't know about the price of packs of cauliflower rice as we can't get them in Denmark, where I am, so I always make my own from scratch. Would that be a cheaper option in the UK? It's not even hard.
I didn't know about the importance of every carb I ate when I was first diagnosed in 2005 either. I joined sort of a slimming club, which was low'ish carb and ridiculously low fat, I can see now. 15 g/day, and you had to melt the fat off ground beef in the oven before cooking it, but it worked - for a time. The getting rid of fat before cooking the ground beef was one ridiculous rule I never followed. Another rule was only ever have 4 eggs/week, and only for either breakfast or lunch. I did follow that one, as well as 300g. of veggies with your lunch and 300g with dinner, and always have a fruit with your breakfast. Little did I know what it did to my BGs, because back then I didn't have a meter.
I'm sorry to hear about your wife. She would've been one of those I'd have abducted to my desert island - with a spa and a swimming pool, come to think of it.

chris66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
See, you got a gold star, and it's even got a green ribbon :hilarious: I don't know about the price of packs of cauliflower rice as we can't get them in Denmark, where I am, so I always make my own from scratch. Would that be a cheaper option in the UK? It's not even hard.
I didn't know about the importance of every carb I ate when I was first diagnosed in 2005 either. I joined sort of a slimming club, which was low'ish carb and ridiculously low fat, I can see now. 15 g/day, and you had to melt the fat off ground beef in the oven before cooking it, but it worked - for a time. The getting rid of fat before cooking the ground beef was one ridiculous rule I never followed. Another rule was only ever have 4 eggs/week, and only for either breakfast or lunch. I did follow that one, as well as 300g. of veggies with your lunch and 300g with dinner, and always have a fruit with your breakfast. Little did I know what it did to my BGs, because back then I didn't have a meter.
I'm sorry to hear about your wife. She would've been one of those I'd have abducted to my desert island - with a spa and a swimming pool, come to think of it.
Thank you for the star, yes it would be a lot cheaper to buy a cauliflower and i assume you would just great it with a cheese greater, also bought some apples and avocados while out, used to like bannanas but was told they have high carbs so knocked them on the head, i have high cholesterol too so always fry the fat out of minced beef and drain it before cooking, didnt know about eggs, ****** have them for lunch everyday so back to the drawing board with that one.
Oh a Spa she would hae loved that, also a jaccuzzi and a body massage thrown in i hope! :D

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i have high cholesterol too so always fry the fat out of minced beef and drain it before cooking, didnt know about eggs, ****** have them for lunch everyday so back to the drawing board with that one.
How high is your "high" cholesterol.. what you eat doesn't have a great impact and dietary fat is what keeps us full in the absence of carbs so I'd start eating some more of it. Eggs are fine too.

chris66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How high is your "high" cholesterol.. what you eat doesn't have a great impact and dietary fat is what keeps us full in the absence of carbs so I'd start eating some more of it. Eggs are fine too.
Couldn't say what it is at the moment, again diagnosed with it 6-7 years ago and Dr. doesnt seem to send me for regular checks, just prescribes statins saying take those for the rest of your life! although im sure after looking at results that diagnosed type 2 and bp cholesterol was acceptable level

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Couldn't say what it is at the moment, again diagnosed with it 6-7 years ago and Dr. doesnt seem to send me for regular checks, just prescribes statins saying take those for the rest of your life! although im sure after looking at results that diagnosed type 2 and bp cholesterol was acceptable level
Are you still taking the statins?

You might find this interesting if you have a spare few hours...

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/cholesterol-and-statins.156985/

Reactions: briped

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Thank you for the star, yes it would be a lot cheaper to buy a cauliflower and i assume you would just great it with a cheese greater,
Exactly, the bigger holes. It does get a little messy with bits flying all over the place, so I use my food processor. After that you can boil it, or even better, fry it in butter or coconut oil till it gets as done as you like. Add some grated cheese and spices if you like. Easy and satiating.
also bought some apples and avocados while out,
Hmmm to the apples. Lots of fructose which will raise your BGs and fructose is not good for your liver as it tends to give you fatty liver disease.
i have high cholesterol too so always fry the fat out of minced beef
Someone posted a very interesting video on cholesterol and statins a few days ago. I'll find it and post the link for you. Please don't try to remove the fat from the beef. It's good for you. I no longer believe that high cholesterol is caused by what you eat, and that it's even bad for you. It depends on what your ratios between LDL, HDL and triglycerides are. Even a high LDL might not be bad because it depends on the size of the particles.
There's a long and very enlightening thread somewhere on this forum on the topic.
didnt know about eggs, ****** have them for lunch everyday so back to the drawing board with that one.
No no, by all means, do have them every day. All that you want :) Eggs are taken out of the cholesterol equation.
Oh a Spa she would hae loved that, also a jaccuzzi and a body massage thrown in i hope! :D
Who should I hire to do the massages ...? I'd prefer someone muscular who could really loosen up all those knots and make me yelp! :D

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes still taking the statins, again a case of being told they are a permenant fixture
Once you start with a proper Low carb high fat diet you might find they can become a thing of the past.. like T2 diabetes...

Reactions: chris66

chris66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Once you start with a proper Low carb high fat diet you might find they can become a thing of the past.. like T2 diabetes...
Be nice if it did but im sure Dr won't tell me that may learn more when i start the diabetis learning course in March

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Yes still taking the statins, again a case of being told they are a permenant fixture
Here's a link to the video on cholesterol and statins. I warn you, it's highly entertaining, so sit back and enjoy

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Be nice if it did but im sure Dr won't tell me that may learn more when i start the diabetis learning course in March
By March you'll be much wiser and won't need a course, if you continue following this forum :) Also, be critical of what you're told, be it in here or at the GPs. Be open minded, and turn what you've learned all your life upside down.

chris66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
By March you'll be much wiser and won't need a course, if you continue following this forum :) Also, be critical of what you're told, be it in here or at the GPs. Be open minded, and turn what you've learned all your life upside down.
Oh i intend to check in here daily have found it very helpfull so far anything im not sure about feel confident if i ask before very long people with expiriece are happy to help very quickly, sorry to say youre all stuck with me! :happy:

Reactions: Antje77

chris66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reletively pleased with that, 7.3 before lunch 8.8 two hours after, maybe would have been better if it was lower to start with but definately cheered me up and gives confidence that we can all do it! :)

Reactions: briped

chris66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The sad thing is you'll probably be able to teach the people running the course a thing or two by March... but they'll probably refuse to listen..
Ah that's as maybe, unfortunately i am the sort of person to insist they should rethink! :happy:

Reactions: Antje77

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Reletively pleased with that, 7.3 before lunch 8.8 two hours after, maybe would have been better if it was lower to start with but definately cheered me up and gives confidence that we can all do it! :)

You are getting there. The rise was 1.5mmol/l, which is what you need to look at initially.

Are you aware that statins can and do raise blood sugar levels? You will learn on here that you really must find out what your blood test results are. Not just for glucose, but also cholesterol, liver and kidney functions. You may well be taking statins unnecessarily. They are handed out like sweeties to children. As for fat, very little cholesterol is produced from what we eat. Our livers make most of it, and if we do eat cholesterol containing foods, our livers spot this and make a bit less. So at the end of the day it matters not. Who told you to cut down on eggs? They are a staple food for T2s and the myths about them causing high cholesterol was debunked several years ago. Eat as many as you like. I do - and you don't even know if you have high cholesterol until you find out your last lot of results.

Reactions: chris66

chris66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are getting there. The rise was 1.5mmol/l, which is what you need to look at initially.

Are you aware that statins can and do raise blood sugar levels? You will learn on here that you really must find out what your blood test results are. Not just for glucose, but also cholesterol, liver and kidney functions. You may well be taking statins unnecessarily. They are handed out like sweeties to children. As for fat, very little cholesterol is produced from what we eat. Our livers make most of it, and if we do eat cholesterol containing foods, our livers spot this and make a bit less. So at the end of the day it matters not. Who told you to cut down on eggs? They are a staple food for T2s and the myths about them causing high cholesterol was debunked several years ago. Eat as many as you like. I do - and you don't even know if you have high cholesterol until you find out your last lot of results.
Had poached eggs with tomatoes for lunch so possibly didn't do me much harm, my liver is a concern which is being investigated and unfortunately i'm still a bit of the mentality of Dr. knows best which im now starting to doubt, really think i need to go and sort out signing up to be given access to medical records so i can start asking questions. Eggs where mentioned earlier but think it was along the lines of them passing on what they were told but even they took little notice.