Any tips for a type 2 moving onto insulin?

Emmasndco

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ive had a week of high blood sugars despite eating low carb and exercising regularly. My GP this morning has put me onto humulin. I’d love to hear from others about their experience of moving onto insulin.

Reactions: NaijaChick

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Emmasndco, Just to clarify, has this episode of high BSLs been the only one you have had?
And did your doctor say or consider whether there is an underlaying cause for the high BSLs such as an infection, stress etc.
And therefore whether the prescription of insulin is just to tide you over until whatever the cause of the high BSLs has passed?
Were you prescribed any other medication for diabetes before this ?
For how long have you been diagnosed as type 2 diabetes?
Finally was there any talk by your doctor about blood tests and other tests both to check for causes of the high BSL and to see whether there was something going on with your pancreas gland?
Apologies for all the questions.
The answers may help to sort out what is happening to you and then make it easier to answer your original question !!

Emmasndco

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks @kitedoc for your reply. My bs is always slightly higher than it should be. 8-10 most of the time. It’s been between 15 and 20 this last week. It has been this high a few times before, either due to a cold or medication failure. I’m currently on metformin, gliclazide, pioglitazone and trulicity. Have been on dapagliflozen and victoza previously. GP only asked if I had changed my diet recently. Which I haven’t. I believe he based his decision on my blood sugars rising in the gym when I’m doing something fairly intense but don’t rise so much on a walk in the woods. I’ve been diagnosed 4.5 years and the insulin will be long term. No blood tests have been arranged and I don’t believe anything else has been considered. I think stress does effect my sugars a fair bit.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Thank you for that info @Emmasndco, Again as a diabetic not as professional advice or opinion:
If you go to the Home page of this site and in the search box, upper right type in LADA.
This type of diabetes is described and there is a special blood test for it - GAD antibodies.
It may be worth asking your GP about this test.
From the LADA info it suggests that you may not escape going on insulin but at least you would know what type of diabetes you have and that your treatment is correct.
As a T1D I only know about being put straight onto insulin but humulin comes in about 3 different forms, Humulin R, Humulin N (or Humulin NPH) and Humulin 30/70.
My guess is that you are prescribed either the Humulin N (or Humulin NPH) or Humulin 30/70 form and that these would usually be taken twice daily. Is that correct ??

Emmasndco

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @kitedoc, I have attached a c peptide test I had done around a year ago, as my GP had previously said he wasn’t 100% sure I was type 2. LADA was mentioned but I’m not sure if the test was completed properly. I’m going to take 6 units of humulin in the evening while still taking the rest of my medication. I believe I will then start taking the insulin in the morning too while gradually reducing my other medication. I have an appointment with a nurse on Thursday to go through it a little further. View attachment 30619

Post edited to remove an image with personal details

Last edited by a moderator:

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Emmaasndco, again not as professional advice or opinion:
If it is Humulin N, then as you say, it would be a twice daily injection. If you google 'pictures or profile of humulin N' or NPH' you will see graphs of its action, including when its peak is (most strong BSL-lowering action) and its duration (length of action). I can see that its action is not going to deal all that well with the usual 2 to 3 hour peak of BSL from a meal.
It is more like a 'background' or basal insulin. You may also note that the peak of the evening dose is in the early hours of the morning so one needs to be aware of hypos being a risk then. But check this with the DSN
So one year ago your pancreas gland was making insulin (that is my understanding of your C-peptide result). Assuming that is still the case your own insulin might be able to help deal with the meals.
But LADA has not been ruled out, nor that your current high BSLs don't have some underlying reversible cause (like an infection - teeth, urine etc).
It would be a pity to be placed on insulin if you really did not need it at this stage.
Perhaps a chat with the DSN can help you with a way forward and to seeing that you you have things fully sorted.
Bestest Wishes. :):):)

NaijaChick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
OMG your talking bout my symptoms. I have found that with exercise (Intense) my BG goes up and that my weight is also increasing. I’ve just had enough.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OMG your talking bout my symptoms. I have found that with exercise (Intense) my BG goes up and that my weight is also increasing. I’ve just had enough.

Blood glucose often goes up with intense exercise, then a while later, will come back down again. Depending upon how much weight you are gaining by including exercise, you could be gaining some muscle bulk.

Obviously the latter part is speculation. I couldn't know how likely that would be.