suggestions for stress relief or relaxtion please.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Hello everyone,
Am having a bit of a tough time just now, lot going on in real life.
Housemove, (sometime soon, uncertainty does not help) Really should be packing up now.
Husbands retirement.
Parents urgent health issues - am going to be main carer after a major operation due mid feb, feeling totally inadequate for this, but appointment later today should give me the neccessary information to manage.
Constant financial pressure, we will be living on one pension for over three years.
Its all happening at once.
Add to that my last HbA1c is up 5 points in two months, although Doc is unconcerned "No need to take action" I could scream! Want to throw things and bang heads. Is nobody listening? Prepared to help me understand what I can/cant eat? How to maintain a stable weight, instead of this crazy slide downwards. Am almost back to same BG level as diagnosis. (43) Ok its not mega high, I get that, but obviously not yet managing either BG or weight.
Have lost over 6kg, now weigh 50.2kg or 7st, 12 lb. Am 1.67m or 5ft 6in tall.
Should add at this point that its not possible to increase fat content of diet as have long term IBS which is triggered by high fat content foods.
Its now six months since diagnosis and in spite of all the new information, am still not able to apply it effectively to myself.
Diagnosis Prediabetic July 2018. HbA1c was 43
The lower level HbA1c (37) was taken in Nov, while we were preparing the house for sale, constant decorating, gardening, cleaning, tidying, sorting stuff. Dont think I sat down at all, unless it was to eat. Obviously that level of activity is not neccessary all the time. Or is it? Was aiming for 100g carbs a day, but increased it about six weeks ago to 120g due to continued weight loss. Maybe this is why HbA1c has gone up? Combination of increased carbs and reduced activity. Extra stress apparently can result in higher BG levels as well.
And while I was typing this another family crisis has come up. Relationship breakdown for one of our sons.
Anyway, how do you relax? How to stop the circling, doom laden thoughts that prevent sleep?
Am learning French, I read and sew, walk to town and back most days, its just over a mile, so getting some exercise. Hate the dull cold weather - please dont suggest running!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I recently bought a Tai Chi DVD and have found it very good for helping me to stop worrying about things I can't do anything about.

I also avoid caffeine at all times.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks for replying Chook, as you can see, still stressed and unable to sleep. 1 .40 am here. Thinking about doing the ironing - if i am going to be up, might as well be useful :angelic:

Last edited:

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @SlimLizzy, As understandable as your weight loss maybe, have you discussed it with your doctor ?
She/he might wish to just check there is not something else contributing ?? thyroid gland etc ??
There are probably times you may wish to learn how to swear in French just to relieve the tension
(and nobody is likely to know what you have said)!
You sound like the sort of person how prefers activity over stillness.
It there a possible sewing project you could begin to decorate the new accomodation with?
Provided it is safe, do some photography during your walks ? Learn about cropping, enhancing photos on the computer.
Does your locality have a local walking group (or photography or some other interest group) you could join?
Do a joint activity with your hubbie. With retirement he might get under your feet a bit so he will need activities also.
My absolutely and totally completely unbiased suggestion (ahem)! is that he and you look at kite patterns and divvy up
the tasks. You can sew, he could deal with the spars etc and you both fly it (Well, that involves a second kite so there is no 'debate' over who flys the one kite most). Maybe there is a kite club nearby or another club of a different pastime or activity.
Even if the weather is inclement (like possibly in the present season) or you are engaged with caring for parents, the designing, cutting out, sewing etc can still be done (and I can assure you there are always kite lines to untangle )!!
In any case look at 'my-best-kite.com' for fun. The kites there are inexpensive to make and there is lots of general information.
( how good is your husband at doing knots )?
Whatever you decide on, enjoy it, be involved as much as you can, use it to distract yourself from the 'slings and arrows of outrageous fortune". For humour - the sky is the limit - Victor Borge anyone ?
Best Wishes :):):)

Sandgroper

Hi @SlimLizzy
There are several ideas for reducing stress and you’ve probably tried most of them. I’m going to suggest you check out .australian tapping institute which instructs you how to use tapping plus check out Steve Wells Perth Australia it sounds strange but has the back up of extensive research. Have an open mind and try it. You can learn much online and there are many links to helpful ideas on the web site. Use it for stress,worry or anything at all. This is not just an Australian therapy it just so happens that living in Australia I use these web sites more than others. Sorry I can’t put the actual address DCUK thinks I’m spamming or something

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
That is classic analysis paralysis. System in overdrive, so many "concerns", it's no wonder you're feeling under stress. You need help just as much as your family does. Share the load ... please

Reactions: kitedoc

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you have a bike, @SlimLizzy ? When I decided to start using a bike locally, I picked one up for about £10 on eBay. Actually, it was even in the same village (It was obviously meant to be)!

It's a great bike, but the previous owner (a teenager) had moved onto something else, so her parents were liberating garage space.

I just walked to the other end of the village and cycled it home.

Since then, I have picked up a static trainer, a bit like this: https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/MiddleofLidl.htm?articleId=19893 There are also loads like this on eBay this morning, for under £20.

In the summer, depending on weather, I have this in the garden, on a patio and can pedal for half an hour, or whatever, whenever I feel like it, with something from iPlayer dowloaded to watch as I peddle. In poorer weather I have in on a covered pation.

The exercise helps with all manner of stuff

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is a hard one as we are all very different. Stress to me would be trying to learn French for example. Lizzy, are you able to get out for a few hours with a friend for coffee?, completely away from the house to just sit and chat about NOTHING? I go out every few weeks with my sisters, we have a meal or a coffee and reminisce mostly and have a flipping good laugh, it doesn't half relieve stress. I know it's temporary but that's probably all most of us can ask for when we have so many competing responsibilities. Sometimes it's the simple things that help. x

Reactions: MAJJU

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Do you have a bike, @SlimLizzy ? When I decided to start using a bike locally, I picked one up for about £10 on eBay. Actually, it was even in the same village (It was obviously meant to be)!

It's a great bike, but the previous owner (a teenager) had moved onto something else, so her parents were liberating garage space.

I just walked to the other end of the village and cycled it home.

Since then, I have picked up a static trainer, a bit like this: https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/MiddleofLidl.htm?articleId=19893 There are also loads like this on eBay this morning, for under £20.

In the summer, depending on weather, I have this in the garden, on a patio and can pedal for half an hour, or whatever, whenever I feel like it, with something from iPlayer dowloaded to watch as I peddle. In poorer weather I have in on a covered pation.

The exercise helps with all manner of stuff
Do have a bike, and its on my list to go out on it today, Thank you for replying.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi @SlimLizzy,

There are probably times you may wish to learn how to swear in French just to relieve the tension
SO right, Today had phone call from a different son, to tell us both he and partner have been made redundant. If third son rings am not answering the phone. ***** !

As understandable as your weight loss maybe, have you discussed it with your doctor ?

Mentioned it last week, he somehow decided I had lost only 4kg. Made no further comment. As we are moving soon(ish) probably march, not much point in changing now.
Have invested in a blood monitor and an ap which told me yesterday ( first day) was 633 calories short of maintaining weight.

Do a joint activity with your hubbie. With retirement he might get under your feet a bit so he will need activities also.
His plan for retirement is moving to France and renovating a 600 year old manor house - He wont be short of activities.
House is on top of a hill, great place for kiteflying.
Sewing project atm is a needlepoint cushion cover about 100 stitches to the sq inch, have been working, intermittently, on it for around ten years. Decided it had to be finished - or go! I Am also renovating one made approx 25 years ago, it needs a new back.
Thanks for you positive suggestions, will take up the photography idea when we get there. Atm most walks are to town, supermarket etc. Not exactly inspiring, although did take several pics last week - took them to the council office to demontrate amount of rubbish. Probably not what you were thinking of.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thatn is great @SlimLizzy. I hope all the suggestions pouring in are not too much of a stress, either!!
Its several decades since I used a bike regularly, and find the traffic terrifying - but last night realised there is a route I can take which is almost traffic free. So now more likely to go out on it. Need some reasonable level of control, still a bit wobbly and steering is uncertain, before I will feel able to deal with traffic.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Its several decades since I used a bike regularly, and find the traffic terrifying - but last night realised there is a route I can take which is almost traffic free. So now more likely to go out on it. Need some reasonable level of control, still a bit wobbly and steering is uncertain, before I will feel able to deal with traffic.

SlimLizzy - If you happen across a static trainer (there are loads of styles), it means you can peddle without worrying about the next junction or whatever.

In summer, even though I could have peddled around the village midlessly (during the day it's very quiet), I could just download something on my iPad, prop it up somewhere to watch and peddle away. 30 or 60 minute doses are quite convenient, and I am always astonished how quickly the time goes, at a steady peddling pace.

I can adjust the tension on the trainer, depending on how energetic I'm feeling.

I hope you enjoy your peddle. :)

M

Member496333

Sorry if this has already been discussed. There’s lots of opinion and research pointing to grain consumption as either a causal or irritating factor for IBS. Is it possible that as time goes by on your lower carbohydrate diet, you may be able to tolerate more dietary fat? If this were the case then you may not yet realise it? Just a thought.

Regarding the stress, you seem like a perfect candidate for meditation :)

Reactions: kitedoc

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Maybe watching "Call the Midwife" will give you confidence!!

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Exactement ! I see a French drama course en votre futur !!

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sorry if this has already been discussed. There’s lots of opinion and research pointing to grain consumption as either a causal or irritating factor for IBS. Is it possible that as time goes by on your lower carbohydrate diet, you may be able to tolerate more dietary fat? If this were the case then you may not yet realise it? Just a thought.

Regarding the stress, you seem like a perfect candidate for meditation :)
Have not thought about grains causing IBS, but a recent snack of cheese without bscuits left me uncomfortable. However there has been a slow improvement in the amount I can tolerate over the years. Ofc trying to deliberately increase it, led to overload. Have gradually increased the almonds at breakfast, now managing 30g and stirring a spoonful of cream into my yoghurt.

Reactions: Member496333

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
That is classic analysis paralysis. System in overdrive, so many "concerns", it's no wonder you're feeling under stress. You need help just as much as your family does. Share the load ... please

It gets worse: Today had phone call telling me my son and his partner are to be made redundant. They both work for the same company. Four weeks notice, better than none.
The helpful ap keeps telling me to eat more... but dont know what to eat now. Not hungry anyway as just had dinner. 600 calories and 9 carb units left. Very tempted to go for icecream. but since i had a small roast potato and want to see what that does, have to resist. Maybe a snack of cheese slices later? The nice 5% fat ones that are well tolerated and tasty with jalepno peppers. Three of those are 200 calories

Last edited:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Terrible weather this afternoon did not go out on bike :(