Going Barefoot

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm a fan of barefoot shoes, and have been wearing Vivobarefoot almost exclusively for the last eight years or so. My posture and balance have definitely improved as a direct result. I'm now going barefoot whenever possible, to take advantage of my proprioception, and to further encourage my toes to regain their natural spread.

Obviously, as diabetics, we're always told to wear shoes all the time. But I find this advice just a bit over-the-top. I've recently started following The Foot Collective, whose advice goes completely the other way.

Just curious to hear other people's views and experiences...

Reactions: PourSomeSugarOnMe

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am always barefoot and think as long as you are sensible it’s ok. Interested to hear you’ve tried Vivibarefoot. I really want to try some so may need a trip to the city to get some.
Do you “earth” with Vivobarefoot? Can’t seem to find a definitive answer anywhere.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At home I'm always barefoot or just in socks..
I think if you have decent feeling in your feet and well controlled blood sugars what's the problem.

Reactions: Flora123

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm probably going to sound odd here but I hate going barefoot, my feet are still very sensitive (even after 40 years of T1) and I can feel every small bit of grit on the floor and its uncomfortable for me and small stones make me yelp cos it hurts. Also my feet get really cold really quickly if I'm not wearing shoes/slippers.
Therefore I'll always be found in shoes and socks or slippers, but its not because I'm being told to - its for comfort.

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Have gone barefoot or sandals most of the time for years.

Even in winter. Your feet acimatise same as your hands. Only when proper cold do I resort to footware.

No smelly feet. No funny nails. Best thing you can do.

M

Member496333

At the apex of my diabetes curve I had pretty numb feet. Additionally I developed a couple of blisters, one of which I didn’t even know was there until I took a shoe off and my sock was red with blood. No pain. As alluded to already, people with poorly controlled diabetes, of which I was one, need to take extreme care with their feet. Ulcers and blisters can lead to infections, blood poisoning and amputations.

But, all that aside, I see no problem with going barefoot. It’s not like we evolved wearing safety boots. I’m now always in socks or slippers at home and very thin soled shoes or trainers when I’m out and about. In fact I love to sit on the sofa just curling my toes, marvelling at the fact I can feel them or they don’t hurt :D

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At home I'm always barefoot or just in socks..
I think if you have decent feeling in your feet and well controlled blood sugars what's the problem.
Me too, and outdoors in summer. I often have shocking cracked heels (for 20+ yrs well before even insulin resistance I believe) but plenty of feeling. I do try harder with them now since diagnosis but if I can’t be bothered/remember to moisturise my aging face what hope have my boring functional feet got?

Reactions: Prem51 and kitedoc
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I'm a fan of barefoot shoes, and have been wearing Vivobarefoot almost exclusively for the last eight years or so. My posture and balance have definitely improved as a direct result. I'm now going barefoot whenever possible, to take advantage of my proprioception, and to further encourage my toes to regain their natural spread.

Obviously, as diabetics, we're always told to wear shoes all the time. But I find this advice just a bit over-the-top. I've recently started following The Foot Collective, whose advice goes completely the other way.

Just curious to hear other people's views and experiences...

In the summer I love to go barefoot, just being able to know I can still 'feel' surface's underfoot after 30 years is brilliant, also the feeling of grass or sand under my feet is just wonderful . At home now it's either socks or my rabbit slipper's lol. I did look up Vivobarefoot, but they are a bit too pricey for my purse o_O

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a barefooter too. Not out in the street or anything but I do run (on my treadmill) in bare feet and around the house. I check them regularly and they are in fine condition. I guess that we just need to care more for them than the average person but in every other aspect it's about preference.

Emily D.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love going barefoot too. I spent a summer in bare feet/flipflops and ended up with plantar fasciitis, so I had to introduce sandals and shoes to counteract it. I still go barefoot, but, not all the time. I thought it was something that I would have to give up now, so I'm glad to see your post. I sometimes get embarrassed when we have visitors to be caught " barefoot in the kitchen", I'm conscious that it isn't the best look for a stay at home mum!

Reactions: Prem51

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Have gone barefoot or sandals most of the time for years.

Even in winter. Your feet acimatise same as your hands. Only when proper cold do I resort to footware.

See people out and about in winter with shoes and no socks. Almost makes me shiver just looking at them. Have always had cold feet and hands in winter. Socks are essential. Gloves too. Bare feet are cold feet in my experience and ungloved hands just get painful. Acclimatisation is not always possible. Although in summer I do wear sandals without socks.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I must admit. I hate going barefoot. I think it dries your feet out and can cause rough cracked skin. I like my slippers for comfort. I use a mint foot moisturiser and my feet are lovely and soft. I also have a foot spa, just because I like to pamper my feet lol

Reactions: Dodo and Prem51

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
I must admit. I hate going barefoot. I think it dries your feet out and can cause rough cracked skin. I like my slippers for comfort. I use a mint foot moisturiser and my feet are lovely and soft. I also have a foot spa, just because I like to pamper my feet lol

I found the opposite. I had a rare fungal infection that needed a very specific, frankly unpleasant antibiotic to remove.

Nothing in the chemist would touch it. Once cleared (took months) having decided to let my feet adjust to being exposed (bit chilly) I have never looked back. Even this time of year its not uncommon for me to go out in sandals or flip flops. Its never come back, something else the doc got wrong.

Makes the kids cringe too so totally worth it.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I found the opposite. I had a rare fungal infection that needed a very specific, frankly unpleasant antibiotic to remove.

Nothing in the chemist would touch it. Once cleared (took months) having decided to let my feet adjust to being exposed (bit chilly) I have never looked back. Even this time of year its not uncommon for me to go out in sandals or flip flops. Its never come back, something else the doc got wrong.

Makes the kids cringe too so totally worth it.
I usually wear the backless slippers, so air gets to my feet. I also have slipper socks which I can throw in the washing machine. I have a few. Hmm I think that I must have a slipper and sock thing going on here because I have just realised I have quite a few lol. I think that if you wear the same slippers for too long, this is when fungus can rear its ugly head. My feet would get cold without them lol

Antechinus

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I live out of town in a rural setting, wearing tough shoes outside is mandatory as some the burrs we have will pass straight through the sole of a jogger with spines about the same length of a thumb tack.
The important measure with diabetics is "protective sensation" which is different for everbody. The 10g monofilament is an alright measurement for that. I have clients that can feel the touch of my hands, and stones and stuff when walking, but cant feel the monofilament when tested.
Unfortubately you dont need a very big wound under the foot to get an infection, and if your like most people, a foot inspection consists of looking at your toes when showering, then there is a risk.
Having said that, the advice to always wear shoes is about protecting everyone, and takes into account the lowest common denominator of intelligence. so obviously the spectrum of neuropathy and intelligence that exist means there are many folk who will have no issue with going bare foot. And then there is the guy who had half his foot cut off in that other thread that is floating around.

Edit: foot infection changed to foot inspection

Last edited:

daisy22

I don't like going barefoot. Indoors I wear sandals that are open toed and slip on. I used to wear slippers but can't now because my feet are always so hot, yet cold to the touch.

I like fitflops in the summer.

D

Deleted member 308541

wearing tough shoes outside is mandatory as some the burrs we have will pass straight through the sole of a jogger with spines about the same length of a thumb tack.
Goats heads come to mind here...

538890d1272255494-goat-head-thorns-dealing-natures-tire-spikes-goat_head_thorns.jpg

Antechinus

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
We call those things cat heads. Caltrop is another the technical name is tribulus terrestris. Nasty things.

togram

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Just curious to hear other people's views and experiences...[/QUOTE

Due to lymphodema my feet have been too big for shoes and the appliance dept of local hospital has been making my shoes. Since childhood I've disliked shoes so am happy without them. Luckily I've not had too many bumps over the barefoot years.
Fast forward to improvement in health, 7 stone weight loss and slippers for Christmas!
BUT since the gift of fine fitting slippers (with cat decorating them) I've dropped a steak knife- blade down across my big toe and run my toes over with the bathroom door. Someone trying to tell me something?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Yes be careful of how you handle knives and doors.