Ultra running with t1d

Julian Brand

Hi, I’ve just decided to go for the challenge of a 53 mile ultra race but I am really nervous about how to manage my diabetes during training and the race. I can just about wing it for a marathon but I know I can’t for these longer events. First thing, I need to start using a CGM so any advice on that? Then I would really appreciate tips from anyone that has experience ie what do you eat before, during and after, do you in inject on the run? I really don’t know much so all advice very greatly received. Julian ps if you want to run Race to the Tower with me you would be very welcome indeed

Reactions: Bon83

Julian Brand

Ps I’m also completely new to this app and forum so tips on that too would be great and if I breach any etiquette, I didn’t meant to, I’m just a new kid on the block

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ps I’m also completely new to this app and forum so tips on that too would be great and if I breach any etiquette, I didn’t meant to, I’m just a new kid on the block

Julian, I'm not suggesting you would necessarily want to mimic Ian Lake's T1 management style, but this sure as heck makes a decent read: http://type1keto.com/

SarahFD

A group of people with type 1 diabetes did lakes in a day last year, if you Google 'lakes in a day type 1 diabetes' you should find a page with a link to the write up of their experiences.

Reactions: Dearbhla
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, I’ve just decided to go for the challenge of a 53 mile ultra race but I am really nervous about how to manage my diabetes during training and the race. I can just about wing it for a marathon but I know I can’t for these longer events. First thing, I need to start using a CGM so any advice on that? Then I would really appreciate tips from anyone that has experience ie what do you eat before, during and after, do you in inject on the run? I really don’t know much so all advice very greatly received. Julian ps if you want to run Race to the Tower with me you would be very welcome indeed

Good luck and I wish you all the very best :)

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done on the marathon whinging - I'm attempting marathon this year eeek. So should steal your tips- I can whing it for a half at the moment. One thing I'm learning is the terrain makes a big difference. A steep hill with max exersion will cause a raise in bg - but long and steady creates more of a steady burn of carb/sugar

Reactions: Dearbhla