EUREKA!....very despondent :(

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
BGs been rising steadily with “nothing changed in food”. Well. Actually... I just realized there has been a whole lot more chocolate down the hatch, probably for the exact period of rises. Please commiserate with me - I am going to give up chocolate until HbA1c test next week. Please be my sobbing Greek chorus, my wailing wall, my hired mourners.... it’s not even Lent!!!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I completely understand.

The dreaded Carb Creep is an insidious tempting malevolent wee beastie.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Sorry but one week will not really make much difference to your A1c.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow, I've never been a sobbing Greek chorus, a wailing wall or a hired mourner, so I'm delighted to be all of them at once!

I just discovered home made dark chocolate truffles, they're only between 1 and 2 carbs each, easy to make and no artificial sweeteners either. They are somewhere between 11 and 14% carbs, which means you can still eat too much of it but it's a lot harder than with regular chocolate. Happy to provide the recipe if you want it.

Reactions: jpscloud and Prem51

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Decide that you are going to be a Tamino, not a Papageno ( personally my preferred character). Start Lent a little early and treat yourself to a high percentage bar for Easter Day and for a once a week treat if you still feel a longing. By bar I mean to treat yourself to a couple of squares and put the rest away. My stash lives on the top shelf of the fridge so it takes time for the chocolate to melt and give its best flavour.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Thanks @Brunneria! I do agree with you @Guzzler but want to stop this anyway. Among other things, Lindt 90% is very very pricy here. I read somewhere recently that caffeine can raise BGs , and would like to see if this is what’s doing it. The darker the chocolate, the higher the caffeine-like content. Choc every day, 3 squares, instead of one square every 7-10 days, is a big difference in cocoa intake. @Antje77 I hear you all the way over here!! My little squares have 1.6 carbs each, and have twice as much fiber as sugar (just reading the numbers on the label here...). So adding 5 g carbs per day... is it really the carbs, or is it the caffeine? For me, evidently any chocolate daily is Too Much. So. There it shall sit for a while. If nothing happens to the numbers by a month or three, I’ll know it’s something else.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@Phoenix55 oh Papageno is SO much my favorite!!! Tamino is about as insipid as they come.

Reactions: jpscloud

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
HI @zauberflote, In Oz we will economise by doing a rain dance, as a wail against your inexorable loss of chocolate tolerance as as a way to encourage the rain we need here !!
If only there was a lower carb, caffeine-free alternative !! Carob comes to mind but ? the carbs ??

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Wow, I've never been a sobbing Greek chorus, a wailing wall or a hired mourner, so I'm delighted to be all of them at once!
I just discovered home made dark chocolate truffles, they're only between 1 and 2 carbs each, easy to make and no artificial sweeteners either. They are somewhere between 11 and 14% carbs, which means you can still eat too much of it but it's a lot harder than with regular chocolate. Happy to provide the recipe if you want it.
Just made a batch with 90% instead of 70% and I think they may be a bit too bitter.
Not inedible but definitely not as yummy.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reactions: johnme and jpscloud

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@kitedoc the rain dance fits perfectly! I hate carob! Back in late 60s, early 70s, it was touted as better for you than chocolate. I tried and tried to like it, but it really shouldn’t have been presented as a chocolate substitute!!. Tastes nothin

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I made them with the 85% and they are perfect!

I see endless hours of scientific experiment ahead of me.
However, I will persevere for the good of all.:cool:

johnme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I completely understand.

The dreaded Carb Creep is an insidious tempting malevolent wee beastie.

Isn’t it? In my case it’s just sweet things - I’ve learned to live without spuds and rice and bread. I was disappointed to learn stevia etc isn’t much good either, since the battle is against insulin resistance.

There can be good by products of suppressing a sweet tooth. My dentist commented on lack of tartar (I take k2+d3) and we had a brief conversation abt low carb. She got it immediately, demonstrating an open mindedness I find absent in doctors generally.