Its all getting too much :(

Gigi K

Hello, gigi here, do you ever have that kind of week where it all just gets too much? Thats me today :( low levels, high levels, hypos, hypers, toothache, head cold, more high levels, corrections, low levels, diabetes eye complications... and so on... iv had diabetes for 21 years. This shouldnt bother me at this stage, but sometimes, it really does :( Xg

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm sorry it's getting to you @Gigi K. I think you are Type 1 from your post. I'm Type 2 so don't get those problems. As it's 2.20 am in the UK you might not get replies until the morning from T1s.
I guess everyone has bad weeks from time to time. We just have to get through the bad times, they won't last forever.
Take care.

Reactions: Gigi K

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I think regardless of type, we all have times like these. It can be incredibly frustrating and depressing. It's like nothing is or will go right and you can't seem to do anything right. Throw on top of all that the daily grind and all it's issues and it's like a bad storm, you get hit with everything at once and it doesn't seem like it's going to end, but it does. The storm will pass. The skies will clear.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @Gigi K
it sounds like you might be experiencing "Diabetes Burnout "
It is really important ( especially at these times ) to try to be kind to yourself ...and it is ok not to feel ok as well

we go though a lot every day just to keep ourselves alive so it is natural that sometimes it just feels like it is way too much to handle.

Do speak with your care team ( diabetic nurse or GP ) and tell them how you are feeling.
please try to hang in there and do keep in touch on here and update us on how you are feeling
I know there are a lot of other Diabetics that can relate to how you feel.
you are not alone

Reactions: Gigi K and Prem51
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello, gigi here, do you ever have that kind of week where it all just gets too much? Thats me today :( low levels, high levels, hypos, hypers, toothache, head cold, more high levels, corrections, low levels, diabetes eye complications... and so on... iv had diabetes for 21 years. This shouldnt bother me at this stage, but sometimes, it really does :( Xg

Hope you are feel better soon, I think a lot of people feel like you at times. Type 1 is a long haul, with so many things to consider, but I hope you get back on track soon, take care x

D

Deleted Account

I can empathise.
Managing diabetes during a head cold and tooth ache is a pest.
You thunk your diabetes is under control and then the cold shoots the numbers up ... just when you are feeling under the weather anyway.
And every cold is different - last time you needed 30% extra basal, this time, that's too much so you hypo.

Having eye problems thrown at you in the middle of that is going to hit the most stoic of us.

Apart from lots of BG checking and correction, lots of liquids, keeping warm, rest, see the dentist and take some decongestant, my only advice is to look after yourself (including your diabetes) and find something pleasurable to do ... such as binge watching your favourite mega series.

Last edited by a moderator:

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Gigi K , Most of us T1Ds have been there or will do at some stage.
Do you have a sick day plan that you and the diabetes nurse have worked out for these times??
Sort of like: up long acting insulin X amount, up short-acting insulin before meals Y amount, do some correction doses with BSL above Z but try not to overdo it and end up on a high-low-high see-saw??
As @Tophat1900 and @Prem51 say, it will pass, and keep in touch with your nurse/doctor a la @himtoo. Use distraction as @helensaramay suggests and know that we are all wishing you well with @Robinredbreast at the head of the queue.
Everything seems worse when we are unwell with BSLs bouncing around like hyperactive rubber ball.
If you can read up on @Mel dCP 's story, in the thread Healed Eyes, (use the search box, Right upper corner of Forum page)
that can give you some reassurance about the future.
I hope you can find some glimmer of gain whilst in your current state - does this get you out of doing the dishes, preparing meals, putting the bin out etc?? If you cannot easily lay flat due to blocked nose etc, does that mean you can watch more movies ?
? Do some internet searches like: Does taking Vitamin D in winter prevent colds or shorten how long they last ??
Any videos of Victor Borge performing? Other comedy with lots of laughter?
As others have said let us know how you go including a tissues used count !! :):):)

IMG_2690.jpg

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey @Gigi K , there's no 'it shouldn't bother me', you've seen how all of us have been where you are now at some time. It passes, it's just that getting through it feels rubbish. Hope you feel much better very soon :)

Gigi K

I'm sorry it's getting to you @Gigi K. I think you are Type 1 from your post. I'm Type 2 so don't get those problems. As it's 2.20 am in the UK you might not get replies until the morning from T1s.
I guess everyone has bad weeks from time to time. We just have to get through the bad times, they won't last forever.
Take care.

Aw thank you, im alot better now took some sick time away levels are better too x

Reactions: Prem51

Gigi K

I think regardless of type, we all have times like these. It can be incredibly frustrating and depressing. It's like nothing is or will go right and you can't seem to do anything right. Throw on top of all that the daily grind and all it's issues and it's like a bad storm, you get hit with everything at once and it doesn't seem like it's going to end, but it does. The storm will pass. The skies will clear.

Yes its managing everyday life, and still getting all the sicknesses and general aches others would het ontop of the diabetes, i took some sick time off feeling much better now x

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Aw thank you, im alot better now took some sick time away levels are better too x
10.55 pm in Adelaide. Great to hear you are on the mend. Just take your time taking back into the household chores !!

Reactions: Prem51

Gigi K

Hi @Gigi K
it sounds like you might be experiencing "Diabetes Burnout "
It is really important ( especially at these times ) to try to be kind to yourself ...and it is ok not to feel ok as well

we go though a lot every day just to keep ourselves alive so it is natural that sometimes it just feels like it is way too much to handle.

Do speak with your care team ( diabetic nurse or GP ) and tell them how you are feeling.
please try to hang in there and do keep in touch on here and update us on how you are feeling
I know there are a lot of other Diabetics that can relate to how you feel.
you are not alone

I feel like i did go through diabetes burnout. Things have improved. Now and i do feel better in myself thankfully x

Reactions: himtoo and Prem51

Gigi K

Hope you are feel better soon, I think a lot of people feel like you at times. Type 1 is a long haul, with so many things to consider, but I hope you get back on track soon, take care x

Diabetes is a long haul :( sometimes it gets ontop of me but like others have said i feel like i had a little burnout. Im getting back on track now thankfully x

Gigi K

I can empathise.
Managing diabetes during a head cold and tooth ache is a pest.
You thunk your diabetes is under control and then the cold shoots the numbers up ... just when you are feeling under the weather anyway.
And every cold is different - last time you needed 30% extra basal, this time, that's too much so you hypo.

Having eye problems thrown at you in the middle of that is going to hit the most stoic of us.

Apart from lots of BG checking and correction, lots of liquids, keeping warm, rest, see the dentist and take some decongestant, my only advice is to look after yourself (including your diabetes) and find something pleasurable to do ... such as binge watching your favourite mega series.

Hello, yes after i took abit of sick time away im feeling loads better, levels are back in range now thankfully. I started reading which really helped x

Gigi K

Hello @Gigi K Yep even after having this malarkey for over 50 years every now and again I get frustrated with T1D and wish I could just park it, even for a few hours.

Hope things improve for you soon :)

Awww me too! But iv passed 21 yrs with it, i wish it would just have a break sometimes, but it wont lol so must get up and on with things x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Diabetes is a long haul :( sometimes it gets ontop of me but like others have said i feel like i had a little burnout. Im getting back on track now thankfully x

Sometimes we need to voice our frustrations and anger too. You could try writing a diary and also, give yourself a little treat, retail therapy, a CD, new make up etc, something you like that makes you feel good.
We are all here for each other :)

Gigi K

Hi @Gigi K , Most of us T1Ds have been there or will do at some stage.
Do you have a sick day plan that you and the diabetes nurse have worked out for these times??
Sort of like: up long acting insulin X amount, up short-acting insulin before meals Y amount, do some correction doses with BSL above Z but try not to overdo it and end up on a high-low-high see-saw??
As @Tophat1900 and @Prem51 say, it will pass, and keep in touch with your nurse/doctor a la @himtoo. Use distraction as @helensaramay suggests and know that we are all wishing you well with @Robinredbreast at the head of the queue.
Everything seems worse when we are unwell with BSLs bouncing around like hyperactive rubber ball.
If you can read up on @Mel dCP 's story, in the thread Healed Eyes, (use the search box, Right upper corner of Forum page)
that can give you some reassurance about the future.
I hope you can find some glimmer of gain whilst in your current state - does this get you out of doing the dishes, preparing meals, putting the bin out etc?? If you cannot easily lay flat due to blocked nose etc, does that mean you can watch more movies ?
? Do some internet searches like: Does taking Vitamin D in winter prevent colds or shorten how long they last ??
Any videos of Victor Borge performing? Other comedy with lots of laughter?
As others have said let us know how you go including a tissues used count !! :):):)

View attachment 31148

Hello, yes i do have a sick day plan, but wasnt working so well :( but i contacted dsn and he made some changes to my humalog, luckily i didnt get any ketones. Im on the up now thankfully x x

Gigi K

Hey @Gigi K , there's no 'it shouldn't bother me', you've seen how all of us have been where you are now at some time. It passes, it's just that getting through it feels rubbish. Hope you feel much better very soon :)

Thank you :) im feeling loads better now after taking some time to mend myself, yeah it does bother me sometimes, but i try and get on with things x

Reactions: himtoo

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, @Gigi K , come and say hello to us on the Type1 Stars R Us thread!

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/type-1stars-r-us.150597/page-593

Almost 600 pages, over a million views, it's mainly just us shooting the breeze about day to day ups and downs and doing a bit of good natured mickey taking now and then but whenever anyone's got a question about pumps, cgm, pre-bolusing, changing insulin or whatever, there's several hundred years of collective experience and support to help.

Most of the T1s who've posted on this thread are regular contributors to it.

As you know, T1 can feel quite isolated in real life so I think the thread is very useful just for the occasional random chat with people who are in the same boat.

Reactions: Gigi K