Daniel Darkes

Gina G

Has there been any updates on how Daniel Darkes is doing, I've posted on his thread and a couple of others have toobut no replies, wasn't he getting some results or receiving information in September????

Gina G

Why would Dan go to all the effort of posting everything that happened to him, giving lots of people hope ....then not post updates, it only takes a couple of mins to write one little post
I only joined this forums because of him

Gina G

Yes I know NoCrbs4Me, I just find it strange how it was in the newspapers, he was interviewed by Diabetstes UK ......then nothing, no updates
My son type 1 is doing very well on his no insulin/meds and following a LCHF diet along with excercise, so it interests me how Dan is doing...maybe it's not going well for him

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Gina G . I think many seasoned T1 diabetics were sceptical with what Daniel was claiming.
There were a lot of factors to consider, especially with his exercise regime that gave me reason to question his claims.
Diabetes never stays still, it grows, it manifests and it evolves within our lives.
Daniel may have succumbed to his diabetes changing his life and ultimately changing how he now manages the condition.
This is only my opinion and I would be only be to happy to be proved wrong.
Silence can at times be deafening.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Another possibility is that he's just forgotten his sign-in password. I'm too busy embracing the joys of ravioli to worry about it.
What’s happened to the partridge?

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
What’s happened to the partridge?

Choose the right Italian restaurant up here in Scotchland, and there'll be partridge AND ravioli!

I've told you before, T, Scotland is the Land of the Gods!

Last edited:
Reactions: Prem51

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Choose the right Italian restaurant, and there'll be partridge AND ravioli!

I've told you before, T, Scotland is the Land of the Gods!
It’s a whole new world up there. You’ve got Gordon Ramsey. We offer up Delia Smith. You win hands down.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
And deep fried mars bars.

Whoah, dude! Those are available up here in chippers, but they're a novelty item which no-one actually buys.

My phone charge is going to run out soon, I'll maybe get back to you at some point on why the T1 approach to carbs and insulin is entirely different to the T2 approach.

Hoping4Cure

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
I also came back here to check in on him (and read about the news here which is IMO the main reason to drop in).

He's not the only proven case of type 1 full remission:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/201...-of-adults-with-type-1-diabetes-99607766.html

There were a couple more decades ago, that had nothing to do with ultra-marathon running. I suspect all these cases are flukes and not generally applicable to the general population. There are tons of type 1s on low carb diets, even no-carb diets, and aside from a couple honeymoon cases being insulin free, that doesn't mean they'll stay off the needle forever nor does it mean low-carbing in and of itself is a cure.

As much as we'd all love that to be the case, this isn't like Type 2 where if you lose enough weight and eat low-carb you go into full, permanent, clinical remission (unless you gain the weight again so the disease comes back, but in the meanwhile, yes, it is 100% gone. Normal blood sugars w/o drugs = not diabetic, by definition).

I've been doing low-carbing, even extreme fasting mimicking diets for a whole week (a dozen times) in various forms now for the past ten years and if anything, my c-peptides have gone down instead of up. Beating this disease is very, very tough. The highest I've ever gotten my c-peptides was on GLP-1 and eating one meal a day, about half of a normal healthy person's minimum level (0.51 ng/dl).

Put it this way, even if ultra-marathon running were one possible way to reverse your type 1, the fact that only one man in the history of the human race as ever done so (with independently corroborated scientific proof of the claim, not wild internet BS), despite the fact that you hear of quite a few distance runners with type 1 and even olympic athletes with the condition, tells me that extreme exercise is probably not the solution. Also for every Dan Darkes out there (n=1), there are probably thousands who've led themselves to an early grave by pushing their bodies past their capacity and wound up in trouble due to a hypo in a remote place. Some type 1s even go mountain climbing w/o gear. I climbed modest mountain once w/ my cousin (a GP) and had to rest half way up with a hypo. Luckily I had plenty of sugar pills but I was shaking so bad I nearly fell off the cliff. If I were a cat, I'd certainly have more than nine lives. Or at least nine diabetic lives. It's amazing that I'm still alive with all the crazy stuff I've done in my life. Running ultra-marathons seems like a foolish risk given the chances of hospitalization are likely far greater than the chances of spontaneous remission like Dan Darkes. What I'm more hopeful for is that doctors can analyze his body and try to replicate what happened there in a pill form, so the rest of us can benefit from his sacrifice and hard work.

I wish him all the best but can't help but feel that one day, he'll have a sore knee or leg for a few months and when he stops running, his type 1 will come right back. I cross my fingers he can stay off the scag forever. He's like the lone cow that jumped off the conveyor belt in the slaughter house, and we're all watching him on his way to freedom, wishing we were him but knowing better. (at least some of us, who are not in denial).

Reactions: Robbity