Home made lo carb Ice Cream 10 minute prep

forge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
You can make lo- carb ice cream but it is not a matter of simply replacing the sugar.

L0-Carb Alcoholic Ice-Cream

10 minutes prep-time.

What the ingredients do

· You can adjust these ingredients to get the ice cream you want

· Fake sugar makes it sweet

· Xanthan gum is a thickener (very commonly used as a commercial food thickener)

· Cream and milk make it creamy

· Vodka stops it freezing hard

· Vanilla is for flavour

Beating the mix aerates it.

What you do

1 To a bowl add 5 heaped dessert spoons of granulated fake sugar.

2 Now add level teaspoon Xanthan Gum and dry mix it with the fake sugar

3 Mix in 300 ml thickened whipping cream

4 Mix in 250 ml milk

5 Mix in 50 ml Vodka

6 Beat with a mixer

7 Add vanilla to taste

8 Beat and aerate some more

9 Put mix in freezer

10 Find a part of the freezer that keeps the ice cream soft enough to spoon into a cone.

Reactions: briped and Prem51

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
You can make lo- carb ice cream but it is not a matter of simply replacing the sugar.
Thanks :) Certainly an idea to try out when I miss ice cream. Looks as if the portion size is just right for my ice cream maker.

Reactions: Ponchu

forge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
Thanks Biped, your story is dramatic. I have been on modified carbs for years and it got me off 130 units insulin in 4 jabs per day. My weight has gone up by a few kgs and my A1C has sneaked up into the higher 7 s I consider Jardiance and Metformin to be part of the MAGIC and I am going to enquire about Glucovance. The issue with too lo carbs long term is brain damage.

We should not be punished if a sweet cold treat is available and we need some carbs. Normal ice cream has sugar which lowers the rock hard freezing point and my ice cream resolved that and has no sugar but with the milk and cream it will still have some carbs.

forge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Can you explain this, please, @forge.
Thanks Pipp.
I can't explain brain damage from low carbs other than both my endocrinologists have told me that we need some carbs for good brain health - my first endo was old school and pumped me full of insulin and my second was new age and had me drop weight with lo-carb and got me off 130 units of insulin and back onto tabs - his concern tho was my brain health and he wanted me to increase carbs when I could ie not to stay on extreme lo-carbs for too long. It makes sense to me that extreme anything is not good but I believe the usual recommended diet is still too high in carbs Govts have come down from the food pyramid to the plate. As for the hunter gatherers they had seasonal foods so any extremes did not last all year. Now of course food seasons have been negated by frozen canning air transport etc. so we have to "apply our our own seasonal restrictions" to prevent long term extreme diets. BTW Endos do not have a sample size of 1 (one) they have hundreds of clients and access to research whereas we have a sample size of 1 (one).

forge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Have you tested BG w home made ice cream w cane sugar?
Thanks Ponchu
Not exactly, I have not checked any Ice cream specifically I only check my BS after major meals including ice cream, My criterium for BS control is I should be back under 10 within 2 hours of eating a meal. But if you want a yardstick for commercial ice cream the McDonalds cheap single soft serve is 22 carbs according to the nutritional value on their website.

My ice cream will have milk carbs and maybe something from the alcohol (not sure about that) but if I can get it down to under 5 carbs per serve it can be worked into most lo carb diets.

Reactions: Ponchu

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you saying that your endocrinologists have told you that you have brain damage, through a low carb diet @forge?
It would be helpful to have some evidence of their research papers.

Reactions: jjraak and Ponchu

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you saying that your endocrinologists have told you that you have brain damage, through a low carb diet @forge?
It would be helpful to have some evidence of their research papers.
I think that would be pretty hard since most research points to low carb/ketogenic being good for brain health - epilepsy, migraine, even glioblastoma tumours.

Most likely they confuse the old research about the brain requiring 130g of carbs per day with needing to eat 130g of carbs - this seems to be a common myth among both HCPs and dietitians alike. What they don't seem to understand and/or ignore is that the liver is perfectly capable of making enough glucose endogenously so there's zero need to eat carbs.

Last edited:

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Doesn’t low carb cause Alzheimer’s?

I think there's been one study (in mice) implying that - but that's hardly "proof".

There's countering evidence for low carb/keto being helpful in neurological conditions like Alzheimers, Parkinsons, TBI and ALS.

Last edited:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Dubbed "Type 3?" A "localised" insulin resistance in the brain found in autopsies. (Not to be confused with "3c.")
It's my belief my mum's Alzheimers was brought on by a vegan diet (though, the clinic reckon her diet isn't indicative regarding development of the condition in thier experience. & were stumped.) All.i know is it was carb heavy. Though, she had cut out simple carbs back in 1976 (in empathy.) when I was diagnosed T1.
For the past 6/7 years she's forgotten she hasn't eaten meat for the 35 years prior ethically as a veggie/vegan...
One of the first clues "something was up" with her cognitive function... Among others was back on the pork.
The varied diet adopted now has oddly not "progressed" her condition. (Or prognosis.) A little more meat & a little les carb, who knows.?
I can't hold a gun to her head on her current choice. She's a grown woman & I respect that. Regardless of condition. ;)

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Alzheimer’s has a number of contributory factors, including, but not restricted to, genetics (the APOE-e4 gene), diet (brain insulin resistance), environmental factors, previous health history (e.g. bacterial infections crossing the blood/brain barrier) and lifestyle.

You will not find Low Carbing mentioned here as a cause of the condition:
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/159442.php

I recommend that anyone interested in the subject read Bredesen or Tuit’s books, which cover the lifestyle aspects exhaustively.

@forge and @Ponchu if you are going to make statements about something (in this case, low carb) causing brain damage or Alzheimer’s, please provide specific scientific references. Otherwise your posts look like scaremongering.

Also, since ketogenic eating is currently being studied as a treatment for Alzheimer’s and other Dementias, your posts could actually deter people from a potentially very helpful treatment option.
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/diagnosis-diet/201803/ketogenic-diet-promising-mild-alzheimers-disease?amp

Last edited:

Ponchu

Alzheimer’s has a number of contributory factors, including, but not restricted to, genetics (the APOE-e4 gene), diet (brain insulin resistance), environmental factors, previous health history (e.g. bacterial infections crossing the blood/brain barrier) and lifestyle.

You will not find Low Carbing mentioned here as a cause of the condition:
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/159442.php

I recommend that anyone interested in the subject read Bredesen or Tuit’s books, which cover the lifestyle aspects exhaustively.

@forge and @Ponchu if you are going to make statements about something (in this case, low carb) causing brain damage or Alzheimer’s, please provide specific scientific references. Otherwise your posts look like scaremongering.

Also, since ketogenic eating is currently being studied as a treatment for Alzheimer’s and other Dementias, your posts could actually deter people from a potentially very helpful treatment option.
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/diagnosis-diet/201803/ketogenic-diet-promising-mild-alzheimers-disease?amp

Poncho?

Did you mean to include me on this post?

Ponchu

I watched what “healthy low fat” diets did to my health, and I watched what it plus statins did to family members...especially the various Demetria that we are told to expect w aging.

Returning to farmer style eating...very high fat, moderate protein and few carbs has saved my life and very likely my brain.

I cannot offer scientific evidence. I don’t care to, either. For every study, a funded study exists.

I experienced and so have many close to me what nutritional ketosis does to mental health.

It’s a stunning change.

They’ll never be talked out of healthy eating no matter how many obese experts are in bed w politicians.

Those who have experienced freedom from depression & anxiety, especially those who trusted docs and meds, aren’t going to “un-experience” the freedom.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Ponchu

In post #9 you implied that low carbing causes Alzheimers
In post #16 you state that ketosis is beneficial to brain health (anecdotally)

These two views contradict each other.

Last edited:

Ponchu

Thanks Ponchu
Not exactly, I have not checked any Ice cream specifically I only check my BS after major meals including ice cream, My criterium for BS control is I should be back under 10 within 2 hours of eating a meal. But if you want a yardstick for commercial ice cream the McDonalds cheap single soft serve is 22 carbs according to the nutritional value on their website.

My ice cream will have milk carbs and maybe something from the alcohol (not sure about that) but if I can get it down to under 5 carbs per serve it can be worked into most lo carb diets.

The reason I asked is a bit of weirdness.

After 7 months of very low carb plus exercise, home made ice cream did not spike me.

It was made with raw milk, grass fed cream, egg yolks (free range) and about 50% less sugar (organic cane sugar) teaspoon vanilla extract

I was nervous trying it.

Yet a piece of Einkorn bread spikes me to very high numbers.

Is it the heavy fat content?

Negative: the next morning, I was over 100 (fasted) rather than my usual 83-85.

forge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks Ponchu the SPIKE NO SPIKE is/can be a red herring because T2 is more like a "lemmings going over a cliff"

Our bodies can process carbs up to a finite point then a tiny bit more and we will go very high very quickly (spike).

So SPIKE OR NO SPIKE is dependant on the base load too. i.e carbs already being processed before the new sample is eaten.

That is one reason why most T2 sufferers offering advice from their personal experience without a proper scientific regime can get it absolutely wrong.

Most testing is INFERENTIAL so it can be affected by other factors. Home testing is pretty ordinary as anyone who has done multiple repetitive tests knows.

That is why I do not get carried away with my home test results - anything under 10, 2 hours after a meal makes me happy.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The reason I asked is a bit of weirdness.

After 7 months of very low carb plus exercise, home made ice cream did not spike me.

It was made with raw milk, grass fed cream, egg yolks (free range) and about 50% less sugar (organic cane sugar) teaspoon vanilla extract

I was nervous trying it.

Yet a piece of Einkorn bread spikes me to very high numbers.

Is it the heavy fat content?

Negative: the next morning, I was over 100 (fasted) rather than my usual 83-85.

Ponchu, in my experience, for both myself and reading what others write on the forum, this is another aspect where we may all differ slightly.

Some people have rocket fuel foodstuffs - quite often grains, and aothers are just generally poor in metabolising efficiently.

Ot makes sense to me that anyone with a food intolerance may see a more extreme, specific spike to that foodstuff, rather than the same carb level in a less (for them) problematic food.

I can think of a few folks who don't do well on grains, but can cope OK with some "interesting" to the rest of us quantities of, say straightfprward sugar, but I'll leave them to comment for themselves.