The role of dehydration in diabetes

LeftPeg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bit of back-story. Diagnosed Type 2 last Oct with a hba1c of 103. Went low carb (not Leto), lost two stone and hba1c now 62.

I’ve never been someone who drank a lot of water (preferring coffee, tea, alcohol...etc) but i’ve noticed over recent weeks that if I drink water regularly it makes a significant difference to my blood sugar.

Earlier today after lapsing (big bag of crisps - stressful week) my blood sugars were up to 16. But I drank a couple of pints of water and about an hour later I felt the ‘false hypo’ symptoms and tested again and got a 4.9. Is this normal? And if so, is it true hydration plays a significant role in the control of type 2?

Reactions: ringi and kitedoc

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you saying your blood sugars went from 16 to 4.9 in an hour and all you did was drink some water?
I'd be guessing a rogue reading for the 16 to be honest..

Reactions: Ponchu

LeftPeg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you saying your blood sugars went from 16 to 4.9 in an hour and all you did was drink some water?
I'd be guessing a rogue reading for the 16 to be honest..

Yeah that’s how it happened. Rogue reading could be a possibility.

Reactions: Ponchu

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah that’s how it happened. Rogue reading could be a possibility.

Leftpeg, my suggestion, if you see these extremes of scores again would be to wash your hands and test again.

Things like flavoured crisps can have some sugar in the flavourings, so that can easily contaminate a fingertip, and perhaps it's not quite cleaned off in any previus washing. Similarly with very low ones. That can be damp hands or even, in either case, a single dodgy strip.

It's just worth knowing if these extremes are true of rogue.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Dehydration certainly plays a roll, but as has been stated, a one off reading of 16 is likely a rogue reading. I would of certainly tested again regardless of the situation.