GCSE biology textbook - diabetes section...

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I must respectfully disagree. I think dietary awareness and control - of some form or another - is vital for good glycaemic control in Type 1. The extent of dietary restriction/control will vary from one individual to the next, of course, but at this point in my diabetes journey, I feel somewhat disillusioned by the notion that pumping and carb counting can allow Type 1's to eat 'normally'. (Whatever 'normal' means!)

It would be so simple wouldn't it. Sometimes, I wish I could eat I want and just have an injection to cover the carbs, but it doesn't work that way, not for me anyway. It's the aftermath that is uppermost in my mind and a balancing match.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
You should see the trays of ***** for sharing in most staff rooms, it’s astonishing how badly many teachers seem to eat!

Edited by moderator for language.

It's always been like that Mel, so nothing new there. Medical professionals too.

Reactions: LooperCat
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I’m currently working as a supply teacher and have been asked to teach the “disease” module to years 10-11 pupils over the next few weeks - and this is the section on diabetes in the biology textbook.

Goes without saying that I’ll be going into a bit more detail when we cover this!

View attachment 31491

It does look something from the bygone era and as many have said, aimed at much younger children, very simplistic.
clearly type 1 and type 2 should be defined, as they are very different.

Good luck Mel, put em' right :)

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I must respectfully disagree. I think dietary awareness and control - of some form or another - is vital for good glycaemic control in Type 1. The extent of dietary restriction/control will vary from one individual to the next, of course, but at this point in my diabetes journey, I feel somewhat disillusioned by the notion that pumping and carb counting can allow Type 1's to eat 'normally'. (Whatever 'normal' means!)

Hi Colin, I wasn't implying that dietary awareness wasn't relevant to a type 1, I think the exact opposite. What I was saying is that with listing the number 1 way to manage it as 'dietary control' (with no explanation for a type 1) implied that it could be controlled wholly with diet, ie dangerous. The point of all of this was that this GCSE description of 'diabetes' was misleading and could lead to young adults thinking type 1 only needs controlling with food. I most certainly do NOT think 'eating what you want' is a good thing. Hope this clarifies it.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That piece of paper looks like an instruction manual for getting type 2 diabetes.
I didn’t get a chance to respond more fully earlier. The flyer does shout out loud the problem the nation faces with dealing with T2 diabetes. It makes for an interesting slide for campaigners, advocates and medical profession teachers, I would wager.

Sorry if this post is considered off topic. All roads lead to Rome, oh I think there was a seperate thread on Rome a while back.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It looks very simplified and does nothing to distinguish between different types of diabetes.
I personally hate being known as a diabetic. That implies diabetes is all I am and defines me. I have diabetes but I also have red hair but I am not known as a redhead.

On a positive note, is says nothing about being caused by eating too much sugar ... or being overweight.
Agreed: we can quibble on the details, but to be fair, if the kids learn this, they already have a better idea than most of the public.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It could make a fun science project getting all the children in a class to fit CGM to their parents including taking a photo of all food and drink.......

D

Deleted Account

It could make a fun science project getting all the children in a class to fit CGM to their parents including taking a photo of all food and drink.......
Why to their parents?
I am sure the kids would have more fun of they were testing themselves.
And would probably learn more.

Reactions: Tophat1900

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My 6 year old that is off to buy “Free Trade foods” at school today ironically asked me this morning what the plaster was for on my arm. I attempted to try and explain that it was from my (HbA1c) blood test but very quickly gave up.

M

Member496333

It would be a great idea and most likely very eye opening for many, but the chances of any project like this ever seeing the light day are probably less than zero. Crikey, even people who have diabetes (the resistant variety) are strongly discouraged from monitoring their blood glucose concentrations. The [alleged] reasoning being that it causes anxiety. I can’t imagine anything like you mention ever taking place. I agree it would be a fun experiment, but just not for those who currently profit from sick people :nurse:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Why to their parents?
Last time some kids did something that there was a huge furore.:)

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Why to their parents?

Firstly to educate the parents, I also expect a much wider spread of inslin resistance in the parents. It also advoid the risk of the inslin sensitive children "leaning" they can eat unlimited suger.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It also advoid the risk of the inslin sensitive children "leaning" they can eat unlimited suger.
Had you seen my earlier post of a flyer sent out just yesterday by the teacher to parents at my child’s school?

Headed “Fair Trade Foods for Sale at Playtime”.

Post # 38

gemma_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Most schools have one or two T1s, in my experience. There’s usually a T2 or three on the staff. And yeah, EVERYTHING revolves around cake at the moment :banghead:

Try being Type one and Coeliac .... there seems to be no end to cakes, biscuits and pizza parties ... and no one seems to understand that no, you can’t have just one ... no one will know... they won’t tell a soul

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Try being Type one and Coeliac .... there seems to be no end to cakes, biscuits and pizza parties ... and no one seems to understand that no, you can’t have just one ... no one will know... they won’t tell a soul
I’m highly allergic to meat and dairy, and choose to eat very low carb to make my diabetes management more straightforward - so I feel your pain! The brunch provided on last week’s inset day was meats, cheeses, fruit and all the bread, pastries, cakes and biscuits you could imagine. For my particular needs, there was literally nothing I could eat. And the coffee was terrible :D All the other teachers were thrilled and shovelled as much down them as they could...

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Tell me about it, I suspect its rife amongst many offices as well, it is in mine, worst thing was (before we had a desk reshuffle) that the only free desk in my area was right next to me so whenever anyone brought in cakes (someones birthday, someones return from hols, something else that was used as an excuse) they were always placed right on the desk beside me - so I sat muttering and growling at people a lot :)

Edit: and so, some 50 mins after I posted that, a box of doughnuts was being shared out right behind me .....

Last edited:
Reactions: gemma_T1

gemma_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’m highly allergic to meat and dairy, and choose to eat very low carb to make my diabetes management more straightforward - so I feel your pain! The brunch provided on last week’s inset day was meats, cheeses, fruit and all the bread, pastries, cakes and biscuits you could imagine. For my particular needs, there was literally nothing I could eat. And the coffee was terrible :D All the other teachers were thrilled and shovelled as much down them as they could...

Yes coffee is usually my lunch of choice in these events... the teachers here all watch their weight and don’t touch a thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Same here, type 1 and coeliac, it's not too bad, but can be a nightmare when I am eating out, I do check and double check that it is free from wheat, Gluten, Barley, Rye and Oats.

gemma_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

That must be really tough...
everything is easy when you eat at home and as we know you can get used to anything ...
if eating out is hard for me I can’t imagine for you... my niece has not been able to touch diary or maize since she was about 4 and it seems both are everywhere... even in foods one would never imagine...
everything at home is ok, that is as ok as it gets for a now 8 year old who loved chocolate buttons, ice-cream and strawberry yogurt and was so cross with her mum for taking away her favourite foods, but school lunches, parties and days out have to be well managed.
I tend to take everything for my son wherever we go as there is so much ignorance about dietary problems. Someone will tell you it’s gluten free/dairy/maize free etc. but inevitably you end up ill before the end of the meal or as soon as you get home, even if it’s “just” contamination.
Schools should probably have low carb or at least quite low carb food choices for lunches as well.