Treatment options retinopathy

purplesunsets

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all I suddenly found out I have retinopathy as per last eye check up. My vision seems same but get tired easily and get blurry times. The first doctor had injection plus laser treatment, the second doctor said injections only and the third one recommended laser treatment. The last doctor gave good reasons for it and seemed to be more permanent. I heardvsome stuff about laser so I got worried. Question is has anyone had any laser for it and how was it after? Did it get better? Or any tips or suggestions would be great. Been on insulin for a couple years now. Thanks

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Hi all I suddenly found out I have retinopathy as per last eye check up. My vision seems same but get tired easily and get blurry times. The first doctor had injection plus laser treatment, the second doctor said injections only and the third one recommended laser treatment. The last doctor gave good reasons for it and seemed to be more permanent. I heardvsome stuff about laser so I got worried. Question is has anyone had any laser for it and how was it after? Did it get better? Or any tips or suggestions would be great. Been on insulin for a couple years now. Thanks
Hi @purplesunsets First of all, have you tested your blod sugar near to or at the time when your eyes go blurry? I had Type 1 from 1959 till 2013 (pancreas transplant and my eyes often went blurry, especially in the first 20 years. When I eventually met with a testing meter in October 1978, I was able to correlate blurred vision and high blood sugars. This would also cause eye-watering tiredness, almost to the point where I felt I had just been anaesthetised. In 1979 I had my first laser treatment as follows:
Both my eyes had haemorrhaged more than once, and I experienced several sessions of photocoagulation. On the first occasion, in 1979, I was admitted as an in-patient. It was decided that I should be in full control of my faculties. My head was placed in a stirrup and grease was applied to my eye, so that a lens could be applied for a magnified view of my retina. I was petrified. When the first laser burn made its mark, I was surprised that I wasn’t in agony. It was comparable to somebody flicking their finger-tip against the side of my hand, therefore uncomfortable and irritating. After 860 of these burns I lost consciousness. It was assumed that I was experiencing a hypo, but I managed to persuade the lady that I had passed out due to lack of manliness. She informed me that at least another 400 burns would be necessary and therefore I would need to be readmitted. This duly took place and I experienced my first general anaesthetic. Later on two nurses appeared at the bed side and I said “Has it happened yet?”
“Yes dear. You should have heard your language as you were being wheeled into the theatre!”
I know that this was very primitive laser treatment and that things have greatly improved now. Yet the last time I had it done was in 1983 and even now I only need reading glasses! I hope this puts your mind more at rest. The real secret of success in my case was suddenly being able to analyse my blood sugar and therefore lower my HbA1c to a good level for the next 30
years. I wish you the best of luck

Last edited:

purplesunsets

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @purplesunsets First of all, have you tested your blod sugar near to or at the time when your eyes go blurry? I had Type 1 from 1959 till 2013 (pancreas transplant and my eyes often went blurry, especially in the first 20 years. When I eventually met with a testing meter in October 1978, I was able to correlate blurred vision and high blood sugars. This would also cause eye-watering tiredness, almost to the point where I felt I had just been anaesthetised. In 1979 I had my first laser treatment as follows:
Both my eyes had haemorrhaged more than once, and I experienced several sessions of photocoagulation. On the first occasion, in 1979, I was admitted as an in-patient. It was decided that I should be in full control of my faculties. My head was placed in a stirrup and grease was applied to my eye, so that a lens could be applied for a magnified view of my retina. I was petrified. When the first laser burn made its mark, I was surprised that I wasn’t in agony. It was comparable to somebody flicking their finger-tip against the side of my hand, therefore uncomfortable and irritating. After 860 of these burns I lost consciousness. It was assumed that I was experiencing a hypo, but I managed to persuade the lady that I had passed out due to lack of manliness. She informed me that at least another 400 burns would be necessary and therefore I would need to be readmitted. This duly took place and I experienced my first general anaesthetic. Later on two nurses appeared at the bed side and I said “Has it happened yet?”
“Yes dear. You should have heard your language as you were being wheeled into the theatre!”
I know that this was very primitive laser treatment and that things have greatly improved now. Yet the last time I had it done was in 1983 and even now I only need reading glasses! I hope this puts your mind more at rest. The real secret of success in my case was suddenly being able to analyse my blood sugar and therefore lower my HbA1c to a good level for the next 30
years. I wish you the best of luck

Hello I should have mentioned I'm diabetic and have been for a while now. So the diagnoses makes sense. I started my laser thing too it was uncomfortable with the lens and all the light flahses. Not what I expected. I have done one eye so far and next one to come. Hopefully this works out

Reactions: Grant_Vicat