Weight Watcher getting crushed by Keto

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm sure they will come up with a form of keto that will be offered alongside their current range of ways of eating - as with slimming world, they try to appeal to all by packaging and renaming established ways of eating as equally viable for weight loss. Hence in recent years both companies have offered a low carb version, just named something like "speed food". I can see a mashed up version of keto making its way into their stables soon.

Reactions: Ponchu

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
I'm sure they will come up with a form of keto that will be offered alongside their current range of ways of eating - as with slimming world, they try to appeal to all by packaging and renaming established ways of eating as equally viable for weight loss. Hence in recent years both companies have offered a low carb version, just named something like "speed food". I can see a mashed up version of keto making its way into their stables soon.

With daft quotes like a colleague trots out.

"mushrooms are a Speed food, stimulates the metabolism to burn off weight".

You cannot help people. If it says so on the label the fools will swallow it.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
With daft quotes like a colleague trots out.

"mushrooms are a Speed food, stimulates the metabolism to burn off weight".

You cannot help people. If it says so on the label the fools will swallow it.

That's the sad thing - ww and sw are relying on people wanting someone else to do the thinking and reading for them, then present them with a prescribed diet and manufactured foods or meals. Because keto will be presented alongside ways of eating including carbs, and each woe said to be equally good for weight loss, people will continually undermine their own efforts as they are encouraged to switch diets to find "what works for them".

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's the sad thing - ww and sw are relying on people wanting someone else to do the thinking and reading for them, then present them with a prescribed diet and manufactured foods or meals. Because keto will be presented alongside ways of eating including carbs, and each woe said to be equally good for weight loss, people will continually undermine their own efforts as they are encouraged to switch diets to find "what works for them".
Both Sw and WW have a similar business model.. help customers lose by calorie restriction then they go off plan once target achieved put it all back on again and come back for repeat business.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
The entire concept of watching weight makes me laugh. If we need to be “weight watchers” then we are literally the only creatures in the entire animal kingdom that will die if we don’t count calories and weigh ourselves once a day

You're a very lucky man indeed and I'm glad that you can laugh, because it's no laughing matter for some of us. I'm more than aware that counting calories isn't everything but I only have to eat slightly more than the pathetic amount of food I presently eat to gain weight. Have some thought for those of us who can't just eat anything without monitoring how much we eat. As for weighing once a day, it does go to show that it's not just calories in/out that causes all of one's weight gain/loss.

Our difference of opinion just shows what a varied bunch we are, please don't mistakenly think that we're all the same. If there's one thing that I've learned on this forum, it's that we're all so very different, especially when it comes to how our bodies work.

bambee3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Avocado, Olives, Prunes,
I tried weight watchers back in early 2006. Because they said loosing only 500g per week despite working long hours and being on my feet all day they kept reducing my points to make me eat less. One of the doctors I worked for knew I was doing this and commented on the tiny amount of food I was eating so we talked about it. His advice was to ditch them as they didn’t know what they were doing and I was going to get ill.
Unfortunately I am no longer able to work anymore due to health issues and need to loose at least 20kg. The weight being a result of medication and being restricted in the ability to exercise. Currently I am aiming for 185g of carbs per day and manage to keep to this the past few weeks I have managed to get less than this. Weight loss of 1.7kg in a month. I do have to be careful with my diet esp with fibre as I no longer have a large bowel and can have issues if I bulk up on high fibre. So a day at a time.
Sorry to go on more than just the comment on weight watchers

Reactions: jpscloud

RAPS_od

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In the US, so much sugar abounds that people don't realize what they're eating. Breakfast is ALL about sugar and carbs. Lunch is sandwiches and salads, but the salads are pretty carb-laden as well! It's tough to get a bite without sugar, sugar, and more sugar.

scbu

The entire concept of watching weight makes me laugh. If we need to be “weight watchers” then we are literally the only creatures in the entire animal kingdom that will die if we don’t count calories and weigh ourselves once a day :hilarious:
I lost a lot of weight with weight watchers in mid 70s. back then it was a very controlled diet no calorie counting, low carb, lowish fat but quite decent portions of protein. I found it easy to stick to although very rigid for eating out. WW is nothing like it was when it was originally conceived

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Trouble is that the current culture is that you ‘diet’ til you hit your ‘target weight’ and then you ‘maintain’ by reintroducing ‘naughty’ foods until you stabilise.

That mindset can be applied to WW, SW, LC, LCHF, Keto, and any other way of eating you can imagine.

Until people embrace eating real food in a sustainable way (for themselves AND the environment), without relying on Frankenfood substitutes and processed junk, they won’t see long term sustainable benefits.

If people don’t change their mindset then they will just rinse and repeat - because as long as they see themselves as being on a wagon, they are inevitably going to fall off it, sooner or later. WW or keto makes no difference.

Reactions: Robbity

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Trouble is that the current culture is that you ‘diet’ til you hit your ‘target weight’ and then you ‘maintain’ by reintroducing ‘naughty’ foods until you stabilise.

That mindset can be applied to WW, SW, LC, LCHF, Keto, and any other way of eating you can imagine.

Until people embrace eating real food in a sustainable way (for themselves AND the environment), without relying on Frankenfood substitutes and processed junk, they won’t see long term sustainable benefits.

If people don’t change their mindset then they will just rinse and repeat - because as long as they see themselves as being on a wagon, they are inevitably going to fall off it, sooner or later. WW or keto makes no difference.

Except that WW must have made a mint for people like Oprah.

edited for typo.

Last edited:

Ponchu

If it’s true that “we are the program that works” then why might it be that everyone I’ve ever known who has used Weight Watchers has either been using them half their life as they endlessly rebound, or has given up? Anecdotal perhaps, but I’d suggest that if their approach really did work then their stock wouldn’t have tanked 80% under the pressure of keto.

This is actually great news for those of us who know better. Just watch the money start moving. Money is everything and food companies and investors aren’t stupid.

It’s been a growth stock for good reason

Ponchu

I think they’ll push a “Keto line” with hidden sugars & artificial laboratory sweeteners.

In a few years, there will be a class action law suit over causing cancer leading to chapter 11.

Reactions: jjraak

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
That's the sad thing - ww and sw are relying on people wanting someone else to do the thinking and reading for them, then present them with a prescribed diet and manufactured foods or meals.

That's hardly surprising, who wants to spend hours, days, weeks, months, years seeing what they can eat and lose weight. If I want my house rewired I don't do an apprenticeship to become a qualified electrician, I "rely" on someone who knows what they're doing. Hopefully that's the likes of WW and SW.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hopefully that's the likes of WW and SW.
They are companies set up to make money.. they have a repeat business model..
If you seriously think they are expert in weight loss then I'm sorry but you have been seriously misled.
Yes severe caloric restriction works short term (as I'm sure you know) but extended caloric restriction doesn't (as you also know).

Reactions: Ponchu

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
That's hardly surprising, who wants to spend hours, days, weeks, months, years seeing what they can eat and lose weight. If I want my house rewired I don't do an apprenticeship to become a qualified electrician, I "rely" on someone who knows what they're doing. Hopefully that's the likes of WW and SW.

It did not take me weeks, months or years to figure it out. Yes, it is a learning curve but that is mostly because we are all unique and have individual reactions to change. I am no bioengineer but it took just one test to see that white bread wasn't the best thing in the kitchen if weight loss was a goal nor better bg management.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Except that WW must have made a mint for people like Oprah.

edited for typo.

All businesses are intended to make money.
I’ve seen plenty of posts on this forum criticising DietDoctor for having content behind a paywall, for Jason Fung and Bernstein for promoting books, for Atkins selling bars and shakes, for Virta charging for services and for Prolon being expensive.

Some of those organisations donate money to research. Some don’t. But they exist because people pay them.

Don’t get me wrong - I’m a low carber for health reasons. Probably will be for life.
But I don’t see the point of criticising WW or SW for being money earners, while claiming that LC and Keto organisations are somehow better - when they are open to the same criticism.

(Of course both slimming club diets and keto diets can be achieved with unprocessed and unbranded foods too, for those who choose to do it)

The reality is that people struggle to maintain any change to their way of eating, and backslide regularly.
And even keto can be a Frankenfood diet of processed shakes, bars and chemicals.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All businesses are intended to make money.
I’ve seen plenty of posts on this forum criticising DietDoctor for having content behind a paywall, for Jason Fung and Bernstein for promoting books, for Atkins selling bars and shakes, for Virta charging for services and for Prolon being expensive.

Some of those organisations donate money to research. Some don’t. But they exist because people pay them.

Don’t get me wrong - I’m a low carber for health reasons. Probably will be for life.
But I don’t see the point of criticising WW or SW for being money earners, while claiming that LC and Keto organisations are somehow better - when they are open to the same criticism.

(Of course both slimming club diets and keto diets can be achieved with unprocessed and unbranded foods too, for those who choose to do it)

The reality is that people struggle to maintain any change to their way of eating, and backslide regularly.
And even keto can be a Frankenfood diet of processed shakes, bars and chemicals.

Very true point.. although to be fair to LC and keto (DD and Fung/Bernstein) they seem to not have the "repeat business model". They advocate a lifetime change not a short term intervention. They also give a lot more away for free than SW and WW (although maybe only for the moment).