Pregnancy Weight Gain

• Thread starter Deleted member 391597
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 391597

Hi everyone!

It's been a while since I've posted but I was looking for some responses to know what to expect during the next few months.

Does taking insulin in larger doses to meet pregnancy blood sugar targets cause an increase in weight gain?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: CranberryIce

Ellie_Wilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone!

It's been a while since I've posted but I was looking for some responses to know what to expect during the next few months.

Does taking insulin in larger doses to meet pregnancy blood sugar tagets cause an increase in weight gain?

Thanks in advance!

Omg I was a whale in both my pregnancies! I would like to put it down to insulin but the fact I ate like a horse probably didn't help either

D

Deleted member 391597

Omg I was a whale in both my pregnancies! I would like to put it down to insulin but the fact I ate like a horse probably didn't help either

Thanks for your reply! Did you notice a big increase in insulin needs?

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I didn’t gain massive amounts of weight, but I also didn’t have the big increases in insulin requirements that are commonly found. My insulin needs went down in the first trimester (not unusual) but then stayed down for the remaining time too. I went onto a pump at 13 weeks which probably played a role in that.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Insulin is the cart that goes before the (eating like a) horse. Drives up appetite and fat storage. I was pretty glad to never get beyond 37 weeks otherwise they'd have needed a crane to load me onto the table for my c sections!

Jkarn83_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone!

Does taking insulin in larger doses to meet pregnancy blood sugar targets cause an increase in weight gain?

Thanks in advance!
Not sure, but I am 26 weeks pregnant and have gained 6kg since the start of pregnancy, obviously weight gain is not just baby there’s placenta, amniotic fluid, extra blood etc.

My first pregnancy I don’t know how much I gained, but I left hospital 9 days after a section at my pre-pregnancy weight, but I didn’t need extra insulin for my pregnancy.

CranberryIce

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Im in my second trimester and my insulin needs have increased! I feel like a whale already but putting it down to the fact that snacking helps with the nausea

FingersCrossed

I put on one stone in my recent pregnancy (had a girl weighing 8.7) and five stone (yikes) with my son five years ago (he was 9lbs). I was always dieting, pretty much from 15 until 33 when I got pregnant, so I just went mad on cheese and stuffed my face as it felt like a holiday from watching my weight. Big mistake, ha ha. This recent pregnancy, I tried to be good as I couldn't afford to pile that much on again. My insulin requirements when massively up in both pregnancies. Not sure if that helps or not.

D

Deleted member 391597

Thanks for all of your replies! Did anyone ever have any out of range numbers? I feel like it is IMPOSSIBLE to get EVERY blood sugar reading in range...which is a worry. My highest reading has been 8.8 after eating and this has happened about 4 times. I've also had a few fasting numbers in the high 5's...I'm trying hard and I'm very early in to my pregnancy...worried about how I'm going to achieve perfect numbers for the next few months. :-(

Reactions: CranberryIce

CranberryIce

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for all of your replies! Did anyone ever have any out of range numbers? I feel like it is IMPOSSIBLE to get EVERY blood sugar reading in range...which is a worry. My highest reading has been 8.8 after eating and this has happened about 4 times. I've also had a few fasting numbers in the high 5's...I'm trying hard and I'm very early in to my pregnancy...worried about how I'm going to achieve perfect numbers for the next few months. :-(

Yes I have had lots out of range- it is impossible/difficult to stay in range 100% of the time! My control pre- pregnancy was probably better than it is now. Im in my second trimester and have had huge amounts of insulin resistance. So no matter how hard I was trying my body just needed more insulin. My nurse has reassured me that as long highs tare not prolonged highs then they are not dangerous..

Nevertheless its a worry! I have had some double figures :( down to poor food choices or unplanned eating (I have had bad sickness and snacking helps).

D

Deleted member 391597

Yes I have had lots out of range- it is impossible/difficult to stay in range 100% of the time! My control pre- pregnancy was probably better than it is now. Im in my second trimester and have had huge amounts of insulin resistance. So no matter how hard I was trying my body just needed more insulin. My nurse has reassured me that as long highs tare not prolonged highs then they are not dangerous..

Nevertheless its a worry! I have had some double figures :( down to poor food choices or unplanned eating (I have had bad sickness and snacking helps).

Thanks for your reply! I have felt dreadful today trying to keep my numbers up...sudden hypos out of nowhere. I have heard this happens during the first trimester but no idea why! Pregnany and diabetes is so hard. I didn't get diagnosed until the third trimester with my daughter so it was so much easier...Dreading when the nausea or actual sickness sets in! :-(