I’m new (ish)

LeiLei

Hi hope everyone is ok. I am new and have appreciated the advice so far. I start work at 8.30am and have a lunch break at 12.30, it’s physical job and feel that I need something to eat around 10am and feel lousy if I don’t eat til lunch time. So I’m just wondering if I should have a bigger breakfast and what kind to keep full or try and quickly eat a snack of some sort, usually I’ve had a banana or some naughty treat that’s been in work. Thanks

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi hope everyone is ok. I am new and have appreciated the advice so far. I start work at 8.30am and have a lunch break at 12.30, it’s physical job and feel that I need something to eat around 10am and feel lousy if I don’t eat til lunch time. So I’m just wondering if I should have a bigger breakfast and what kind to keep full or try and quickly eat a snack of some sort, usually I’ve had a banana or some naughty treat that’s been in work. Thanks
What are you eating for breakfast?

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Don't eat bananas or "naughty treats" for a snack. Bring something low carb from home and eat that.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I usually have a bowl of cereal, mainly weetabix and semi skimmed milk.
Why would you eat such an unhealthy breakfast? Try bacon and eggs instead.

LeiLei

Why would you eat such an unhealthy breakfast? Try bacon and eggs instead.
Sorry I should say I’ve not been diagnosed with diabetes but think I’m in the pre diabetic range and had GD so I just joined this week to get a bit of advice seen as though I haven’t had any from the Gp. But up until then I didn’t really know much about carbs etc so I ate cereal a lot. Thanks for the advice on eggs and bacon

LeiLei

Sorry I should say I’ve not been diagnosed with diabetes but think I’m in the pre diabetic range and had GD so I just joined this week to get a bit of advice seen as though I haven’t had any from the Gp. But up until then I didn’t really know much about carbs etc so I ate cereal a lot. Thanks for the advice on eggs and bacon
So up until then I’ve been thinking cereal on a morning is healthy, lol,

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
On a low carb diet, most of us wouldn't touch cereals, toast etc. Definitely bacon, eggs, mushrooms, tomato will keep you filler for longer.

LeiLei

On a low carb diet, most of us wouldn't touch cereals, toast etc. Definitely bacon, eggs, mushrooms, tomato will keep you filler for longer.
Thank you that’s what I’m going to try gradually going low carb as currently I eat mostly bread, pasta, cereals throughout the day, and had been told bananas are a good snack so I have one every day! I’m about 4 stone overweight been going up each year so really need to lose weight. I am taking it all on board from everyone on here about the low carb diet, but might take a while to get used to, thank you

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you that’s what I’m going to try gradually going low carb as currently I eat mostly bread, pasta, cereals throughout the day, and had been told bananas are a good snack so I have one every day! I’m about 4 stone overweight been going up each year so really need to lose weight. I am taking it all on board from everyone on here about the low carb diet, but might take a while to get used to, thank you

If you continue eating the way you are used to, your prediabetes will soon become the full blown thing I'm afraid.

Bananas are about the worst fruit you can eat, along with grapes. For fruit the best choices are berries - strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, eaten in very small amounts with either double cream or full fat unsweetened yogurts. Try a good old fry up for breakfast - bacon, eggs, a very high content meat sausage, a tomato and loads of mushrooms fried in butter. No beans or toast. Failing that you could try a full fat Greek yogurt with a few nuts and/or berries added, and take some nuts to work with you in case you need a quick bite.

LeiLei

If you continue eating the way you are used to, your prediabetes will soon become the full blown thing I'm afraid.

Bananas are about the worst fruit you can eat, along with grapes. For fruit the best choices are berries - strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, eaten in very small amounts with either double cream or full fat unsweetened yogurts. Try a good old fry up for breakfast - bacon, eggs, a very high content meat sausage, a tomato and loads of mushrooms fried in butter. No beans or toast. Failing that you could try a full fat Greek yogurt with a few nuts and/or berries added, and take some nuts to work with you in case you need a quick bite.
Thank you everyone has been so helpful, I’m convinced that my current diet isn’t helping me lose weight and yes definitely a high risk into getting full blown diabetes. I haven’t had chance to get a proper shop yet for all the low carb things (will go shopping tomorrow when I have some money lol). But yes that crunchy nut cereal I had this morning is a definite no go. Pleased I have started testing my blood glucose, the GP’s haven’t really offered dietary advice except to lose weight if and they’ll check bloods yearly. Thanks again

Reactions: Bluetit1802

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you want to lose weight and take control of your blood glucose, only you can do it. We can help with advice and support. If you are bordering on pre-diabetics then you could do with another blood test in a couple of months, not wait a year. Are you testing your blood sugar before and after meals?

LeiLei

If you want to lose weight and take control of your blood glucose, only you can do it. We can help with advice and support. If you are bordering on pre-diabetics then you could do with another blood test in a couple of months, not wait a year. Are you testing your blood sugar before and after meals?
I’ve just got some test strips and tested yesterday but not today, will start again tomorrow I think. My fasting was 6.1, had crunchy nut at 1 hour 11.5, but came down to 6.9 at 2 hours. When I had GD it always went high after breakfast. I think I’m just frustrated with myself lol as I should have lost weight years ago. I experience symptoms of hypos regularly, so I’d been told to have ‘healthy’ snacks like low fat yoghurts and fruit (before I had GD).

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
What time do you have breakfast? 8.30 until 12.30 is only four hours so should be manageable without snacks, but obviously if breakfast is at 4.30 or 5.30 could see why you are hungry at 10.

LeiLei

What time do you have breakfast? 8.30 until 12.30 is only four hours so should be manageable without snacks, but obviously if breakfast is at 4.30 or 5.30 could see why you are hungry at 10.
Usually I have it about 7.30 or 8, the later the better lol as I know I get hungry

LeiLei

Usually I have it about 7.30 or 8, the later the better lol as I know I get hungry
I can wait til about 11 or 11.30 sometimes but by then usually have whatever is in reach as I’m too hungry. The odd times I haven’t eaten til 12.30 I get the shakes, headache and feeling faint.

LeiLei

I can wait til about 11 or 11.30 sometimes but by then usually have whatever is in reach as I’m too hungry. The odd times I haven’t eaten til 12.30 I get the shakes, headache and feeling faint.
I have also learned over the years that I can’t skip breakfast or other meals as ended up having a bad migraine, so I have breakfast every day.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you decide you want to go low carb, you are going to have to unlearn everything you thought you knew about dieting.

The truth is, if you go low carb and you beat the carb addiction (took me about 4 weeks) your appetite decreases and you no longer want to snack. Don't eat low fat anything.

LeiLei

If you decide you want to go low carb, you are going to have to unlearn everything you thought you knew about dieting.

The truth is, if you go low carb and you beat the carb addiction (took me about 4 weeks) your appetite decreases and you no longer want to snack. Don't eat low fat anything.
Thank you I will take that on board. And hoping my appetite decreases soon!

LeiLei

I test again tomorrow, breakfast will probably not be very healthy as I haven’t been shopping yet, although I have porridge in so that might be slightly better than the usual cereals. My level is 7.1 tonight, will test as soon as I get up tomorrow, thanks all, Leigh.